Author Topic: 1993 Winter CES- Turbo Style  (Read 412 times)

motdelbuort

1993 Winter CES- Turbo Style
« on: May 13, 2010, 09:52:28 AM »
Hey guys, I came across this video on Youtube and just thought I'd share it . It's been up for a few years so maybe most people have seen it already, but it's kind of neat to see the Turbo games that were being shown. It looks like all the Turbo games are in the first three parts, but I haven't viewed much further than that. The Turbo would have actually had a pretty nice year if more of these games would have come out, although I don't know if they would have sold many more systems at that point.

What is that at :27 into part 2? Dangerous Journeys?

DragonmasterDan

Re: 1993 Winter CES- Turbo Style
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 10:16:36 AM »
I remember at Summer CES 93 TTI was showing off a baseball game (on a coregrafx rather than a TG16 or Duo), one of the Raxanmbers among other unreleased (in the US stuff). I spent a good amount of time at their fairly decent sized booth both in 93 (and the year before in 92).

--DragonmasterDan

TheClash603

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:51:02 PM »
They were probably showing stuff on the coregrafx because they had secretly already given up on bringing out anything good to the US.  Which is a damn shame, because translating arcade type games is SO EASY (I assume).

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:56:35 PM »
Wow, some cool stuff in that video. Too bad it was shot by the worst camera man in the world.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:35:01 PM »
I wonder what it said under the Snatcher art, I also wonder if the World Heroes & King of the Monsters 2 for Turbo, were just the Neo Geo versions, or the actual Turbo versions!

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 01:39:52 PM »
I wonder what it said under the Snatcher art, I also wonder if the World Heroes & King of the Monsters 2 for Turbo, were just the Neo Geo versions, or the actual Turbo versions!

Those may have been the Turbo versions. Working Designs licensed several arcade card games, those two I believe included under the assumption the arcade card was coming to the US.
--DragonmasterDan

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 01:17:57 PM »
Man, I'd really like to see actual footage of the games.  IIRC, whatever Shirley bro. I talked to, said that World Heroes didn't come out, cuz they figured the Arcade Card was coming, & that World Heroes 2 would hinder sales of World Heroes 1.  But, King of the Monsters 2, according to him, absolutely required the Arcade card because of all the data onscreen, I think he said it had to reload every other screen, or something to that effect.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 02:05:47 PM »
Man, I'd really like to see actual footage of the games.  IIRC, whatever Shirley bro. I talked to, said that World Heroes didn't come out, cuz they figured the Arcade Card was coming, & that World Heroes 2 would hinder sales of World Heroes 1.  But, King of the Monsters 2, according to him, absolutely required the Arcade card because of all the data onscreen, I think he said it had to reload every other screen, or something to that effect.

Interesting, I remember Working Designs old webpage listed two SNK Duo ports as completed but not published. Maybe I should dig through archive.org

Added in edit: Found it http://web.archive.org/web/20051230103953/www.workingdesigns.com/About_Nav.htm
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 02:10:16 PM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 07:02:03 PM »
Hmm, no mention of Cosmic Fantasy 3 or Goemon.  I'm sure there were a few other titles that they had in the wings that aren't mentioned, probably cuz they didn't get far enough into the process, or maybe there's legal reasons?

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 10:25:09 PM »
Hmm, no mention of Cosmic Fantasy 3 or Goemon.  I'm sure there were a few other titles that they had in the wings that aren't mentioned, probably cuz they didn't get far enough into the process, or maybe there's legal reasons?

I don't think either localization was completed.

Added in edit: Here's three more games WD worked on but didn't complete that aren't listed. Serpents Kiss, Lunar for Saturn and Lunar for PC.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:39:58 PM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 01:54:55 PM »
Serpents Kiss?  What is that, & what system was it for?

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »
Serpents Kiss?  What is that, & what system was it for?

It was a PC RPG (Windows 95 I think). Due to problems with supporting windows (for such a small company) it wound up getting cancelled a ways in. The same fate struck the Working Designs localization of PC Lunar.
--DragonmasterDan

JapanTokei

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 05:47:49 PM »
I actually have a March 93 PCE Monthly japanease mag which covered the 1993 CES as well. 
Hard to believe that is already >17 years old, I just dug it out from my collection last night when I was putting stuff up for sale.
It's the rightmost one on top - you can see CES on the cover.  It seems like the Duo-R and the LaserActive units also debuted at that time per the magazine spread!!

and in case you are interested in the details:
http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbay&gbh=1&CurrentPage=MyeBayAllSelling&ssPageName=STRK:ME:LNLK:MESX
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 05:50:25 PM by JapanTokei »