Author Topic: Extension cable question  (Read 426 times)

ddaniels

Extension cable question
« on: May 19, 2010, 08:23:17 AM »
I own a USA Turbografx 16.  Where can I find extension cables for the game controllers?  I checked ebay and noticed one for sale but it was from Europe plus it was expensive ($22).  Is there an online retailer that I could check?

Thanks

savageone

Re: Extension cable question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:59:15 AM »
I ordered some extension cables for Duo controllers at monoprice, I think it was about 6 bucks for two of them.. They are beige colored but they work great none the less. Not sure if they will have the cable you need for the original TG16 but they have tons of cables so odds are they will.

ddaniels

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 03:27:09 PM »
Is the Duo controller the same as the TG16 controller?  Could I just use the same cable that you ordered?  I went to monoprice and sent them an email about an extension cable for the TG16 controller.

Thanks

nectarsis

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 03:28:41 PM »
Duo controller ports are a different size than the regular TG.  No clue if Monoprice has anything compatible with the TG,
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Mathius

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 03:59:52 PM »
Duo controller ports are a different size than the regular TG.  No clue if Monoprice has anything compatible with the TG,

They do not. They are computer cords that just happen to be compatible with the Turbo Duo.

I own a USA Turbografx 16.  Where can I find extension cables for the game controllers?  I checked ebay and noticed one for sale but it was from Europe plus it was expensive ($22).  Is there an online retailer that I could check?

Thanks

The ones from Europe are the only way to get an extension cord that I know of. I had to import mine from Sweden, and it only cost be about $20 incl. shipping. It was brand new too :) I would do it again if I needed to. :wink:
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

TheClash603

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 05:06:26 PM »
I picked up two TG extension cords for $5 each about a year ago on ebay, complete in package.  I wouldn't pay too much, I thought they were fairly common.

One piece of BS, you can't connect the extension to the system to make your turbo tap extended range, so you need to buy 5 if you want 5 long controllers.

RoyVegas

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »
so you need to buy 5 if you want 5 long controllers.

This is what I did.
All is well. :)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 10:03:38 PM »
buy or find two tg16 pads.

cut the cable off of one at the controller-part, and then cut the connector off the other one.

match the colors and tape it back together.

Me and a friend both did this no problem.

There is a chance it wont work though.   The one type of controller was kinda cheap when cut open , and the wiring/insulation felt cheap/useless.

That one didn't work with the splicing.

The rest did.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 03:43:59 AM »
Rather than ruining two controllers with Arkhan's ghetto solution, I'd go to a place like Digi-Key and buy the connectors (male and female) and make my own extension, but that's just me.  Some people want things neat and orderly and some people would rather MacGyver something together with duct tape and chewing gum.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 06:02:13 AM »
Rather than ruining two controllers with Arkhan's ghetto solution, I'd go to a place like Digi-Key and buy the connectors (male and female) and make my own extension, but that's just me.  Some people want things neat and orderly and some people would rather MacGyver something together with duct tape and chewing gum.

yeah, buying the connectors and stuff also works, but hey! when you got a few goony spare TG-16 pads layin' around, and some scissors...

the possibilities are endless!

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

kattare

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 09:21:39 AM »
One piece of BS, you can't connect the extension to the system to make your turbo tap extended range, so you need to buy 5 if you want 5 long controllers.

Huhwhat?

I didn't believe it, as I had done it before, so I had to put it to a definitive test.  ;-)

Turns out I was able to connect my TG tap (w/ 5 pads) through an extension and play Bomberman me vs me vs me vs me vs me just fine.  Ditto for pads -> tap -> extension -> duo converter -> duo.

Am I missing something?

I have the connectors on hand and can make custom cables if wanted.  Prolly be ~$15/ea plus shipping. ($3?)

Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 09:35:36 AM »
Huhwhat?

I didn't believe it, as I had done it before, so I had to put it to a definitive test.  ;-)

Turns out I was able to connect my TG tap (w/ 5 pads) through an extension and play Bomberman me vs me vs me vs me vs me just fine.  Ditto for pads -> tap -> extension -> duo converter -> duo.

Am I missing something?

Also speaking from first hand experience, though I can't remember which games I tried, some games will not function correctly with an extension cord on the tap.

I have the connectors on hand and can make custom cables if wanted.  Prolly be ~$15/ea plus shipping. ($3?)

Not to pee on your parade or anything, but they can be had on ebay for about $10 shipped.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 03:31:19 PM »
Huhwhat?

Am I missing something?

Also speaking from first hand experience, though I can't remember which games I tried, some games will not function correctly with an extension cord on the tap.

Dungeon Explorer.

Also, at least one of the Bomberman games (maybe all?) doesn't work like this either. It'll appear to work in a test like the one kattare described, but if you press a button then you start controlling someone else's avatar while the button is pressed or something to that effect. Long story short: it doesn't work in any kind of playable fashion.

RoyVegas

All is well. :)

kattare

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 09:35:55 AM »
Not to pee on your parade or anything, but they can be had on ebay for about $10 shipped.

Pee away.  I don't exactly enjoy making them, they're a pain in the ass.  Nor is it exactly a big money maker.  More of a offer from one hobbiest to another that if you can't find a cable elsewhere, I'm willing to assist.

edit / add

It occurs to me that there are other benefits to having a custom one made.  Like a cord length improvement... up to about 20' with what I have on hand.  Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:46:14 AM by kattare »
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.