Author Topic: Super CDROM sound issue  (Read 604 times)

Opethian

Super CDROM sound issue
« on: June 30, 2010, 12:03:31 PM »
I have a CGII + SCD that had level audio for about an hour until the all the sound went low almost to a whisper. I tested the SCD unit on the SGX and the sound is fine. I suspect the CGII is the culprit but I dont have an AC adaptor to test it alone. What could possible be the cause of the low audio? What kind of bit can I use to attack these 4 screws?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:23:12 PM by Opethian »

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

Opethian

Re: Core Grafx II sound issue
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 05:33:56 AM »
SOLVED- Looks like the AV out on the SCD is the problem. Maybe it only works with a white PCE? or if I only had a white PCE I'd be screwed hehe.

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

rag-time4

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »
SOLVED- Looks like the AV out on the SCD is the problem. Maybe it only works with a white PCE? or if I only had a white PCE I'd be screwed hehe.
With my SCD + SuperGrafx setup I'm using the AV port of the SuperGrafx, not the SCD. How about you?

Opethian

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 07:02:11 AM »
Yea when I get my gamebit I'll inspect the SCD.

JapanTokei

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 12:32:48 AM »
Ope - I am guessing it's not your CoreGFX2 but the SCD attachment.  a few months ago I sold a duplicate bundle to a fella at Belgium on Ebay, and after he received it he claimed it was having the same problem as you.  I tried to troubleshoot the issue with him but ended up giving him 25 Euros + 3 free games since it was too expensive to have him ship it back, but from that experience (and choosing to trust he wasn't scamming me), I think the SCD add-ons has the sound issues due to caps as the Duos.  Although I don't have that issue with my other SCD addon unit, I have seem on YahooJP auctions a few loose SCD addons mentioned with the same issues (low sound). 

IF the AV port was the culprit then it's a nice simple prob ! 
Please do keep us posted after you pop it open and if you can confirm the Caps are the root cause... I'm interestd to confirm my theory and if that is the case then I need to pick up a few spare caps for future backup purposes too ... :)

Yea when I get my gamebit I'll inspect the SCD.

Opethian

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 03:06:20 AM »
Anyone know what size torx you need to open a SCD?

BlueBMW

Re: Super CDROM sound issue
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 02:15:06 PM »
It seemed like my US Duo took a 4.5mm security bit.  Although it seemed a tad small so maybe 5mm is the correct size.  Not sure if its the same on the SCD though.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Opethian

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 05:09:24 PM »
nah the Sysytems use a game bit to open. The SCDs have torx

futurematt

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 10:49:15 AM »
Ope - I am guessing it's not your CoreGFX2 but the SCD attachment.  a few months ago I sold a duplicate bundle to a fella at Belgium on Ebay, and after he received it he claimed it was having the same problem as you.  I tried to troubleshoot the issue with him but ended up giving him 25 Euros + 3 free games since it was too expensive to have him ship it back, but from that experience (and choosing to trust he wasn't scamming me), I think the SCD add-ons has the sound issues due to caps as the Duos.  Although I don't have that issue with my other SCD addon unit, I have seem on YahooJP auctions a few loose SCD addons mentioned with the same issues (low sound). 

IF the AV port was the culprit then it's a nice simple prob ! 
Please do keep us posted after you pop it open and if you can confirm the Caps are the root cause... I'm interestd to confirm my theory and if that is the case then I need to pick up a few spare caps for future backup purposes too ... :)

Hey guys, I have exactly the same problem with my super CD Rom, the sound has gone WAY low on the AV out, by coincidence I just had it RGB Scart modded, but while the picture is way better, the sound is still the same!! Is it a case of replacing capacitors and if so, any clues as to where these are located on the board please>? Will be easy enought to pull them out and replace them when I know where they are.. Thanks.
Systems: PCE white, Core Grafx, CD Rom2 / IFU30, GT, LT, Super CD Rom2. Games: Almost all the shooters and about 50 others and growing! Also into Sega Saturn and Dreamcast shooters.
For HD gaming stuff visit my You Tube channel "Ten Minute Turbo Show" at www.youtube.com/futurematt5

Opethian

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 11:36:24 AM »
I got mine open finally but I havent taken pics yet. The caps in my SCD dont look bowed up or leaky. I'll have to get a real closer look when I have time.

pixeljunkie

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »
I got mine open finally but I havent taken pics yet. The caps in my SCD dont look bowed up or leaky. I'll have to get a real closer look when I have time.

whatever came of this? I am having the exact same prob

nat

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 12:23:36 PM »
I'm almost 100% sure it's the capacitors in the Super CD-ROM.

Tablet

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 09:38:11 PM »
Yeah my SCD sound is 'crunchy' for the first few minutes until the caps warm up (well I assume the caps are warming up) But like others have said I run the audio out of my Core Crafx too.

pixeljunkie

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 05:33:48 AM »
Just hoping someone who's had the problem and fixed it can say "yes, replace these caps" or "do this"

Kinda' nervous about just tearing the system up looking for things.

BlueBMW

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 02:21:42 PM »
Replacing caps can never hurt unless you break something doing them.  And then you could rule out that its caps if it doesn't correct the problem.  If it is leaking caps... then the longer you wait to do em the worse the damage can be.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc