Author Topic: Help with CD emulation ?  (Read 1465 times)

San Juan Wolf

Help with CD emulation ?
« on: July 09, 2010, 04:47:21 AM »
Hello there . You may remember how a while ago I said I can't get any CD games to work on emulators .

I would wish to ask , as I am completly new to CD emulation , what emulator you think os the best , along with an alternative or two (in case it doesn't work) , and more importantly , what I need .

I tried getting "Riot Zone" to work and downloaded what I asume is a "rom" equivalent here

[ISO LINK DELETED BY NAT]

However I don't know what this is suposed to run on , nor do I know what "Iso"'s are .

Could anyone please explain ?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:41:39 PM by nat »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Help with CD emulation ?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 05:20:19 AM »
Posting roms/isos is strictly forbidden and grounds for immediate and permanent banishment.  :evil:

ISOs are to CDs as ROMs are to cartridges.

Magic Engine is the easiest emulator to operate, but don't be a thief; buy the full version or deal with the time limit.  Use something like daemon tools to mount the iso (use google to learn more about disc image emulators), then start M.E., press escape to bring up its menu (if it doesn't appear automatically), then click on file - boot cd - virtual drive with mounted iso.  To avoid compatibility problems with M.E.'s built-in system card, use google to find rom images of the real system cards and save 'em in the same folder as M.E.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 01:16:32 PM »
Magic Engine is the easiest emulator to operate, but don't be a thief; buy the full version or deal with the time limit.  Use something like daemon tools to mount the iso (use google to learn more about disc image emulators), then start M.E., press escape to bring up its menu (if it doesn't appear automatically), then click on file - boot cd - virtual drive with mounted iso.  To avoid compatibility problems with M.E.'s built-in system card, use google to find rom images of the real system cards and save 'em in the same folder as M.E.

I disagree.  Magic Engine USED to be the best ever.

However....

Ootake is far easier to operate, especially if you are used to a Windows environment.  Everything you could possibly want to fiddle with is right up top in nicely organized menus.

Changing settings is easier, there are more features in general, and it runs better.  Also, it is free and updated pretty regularly it seems.  It even runs Super Grafx games. 

http://www.ouma.jp/ootake/

If you place any ROMs (HuCard games) in the install folder of the Ootake directory (Usually: C:/Program Files/Ootake/Install), thats the default rom directory so loading games is a snap.

You can set System Card 3.0 easily in the menu also.  The menus are all simple Windows style drop downs.  Just press CD-ROM and then "Set System Card Image" and pick System Card 3.0.  I can't post it here, but you should be able to find the rom no problem.

I suggest you try Ootake out.  I use it for PCE development testing and so far things have been near perfect to the real hardware.  It will run real CD games if you set the CD-ROM drive letter to your physical CD-ROM drive (again, in the CD-ROM menu).  Or you can set it to a virtual CD ROM drive like a Daemon Tools or PowerISO drive.  With virtual drives, you can mount downloaded ISO or bin/cue stuff and play them if you set the CD-ROM drive letter to the virtual drive.

Give it a try and let me know if you have any problems. 

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Tatsujin

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 03:16:05 AM »
Never pirate, always originate!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Opethian

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 04:57:02 AM »
at least his signature is not the size of a small island any more ^_^

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

nodtveidt

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 06:25:13 AM »
Nothing wrong with pirating dead software... if the copyright holder involved is no longer making money with it, there's no real harm done.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 09:46:42 AM »
Nothing wrong with pirating dead software... if the copyright holder involved is no longer making money with it, there's no real harm done.

That's a good point.  The only person profiting off buying any of these games now is the dude you happen to buy it off of on the internet, lol.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.