Author Topic: Mysterious Song Status Updates?  (Read 776 times)

KingDrool

Mysterious Song Status Updates?
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:12:51 AM »
Hey, I hate to open up that ugly can of worms, but I do think it would be nice to know what's going on with Mysterious Song since, you know, I preordered and everything. I'm a big supporter of indie games, especially on the Turbo/PC Engine, and I don't mind waiting. But the last update I see on these forums is from May, and the last update on the Frozen Utopia site is from March. I think monthly, or even bi-weekly updates would be appropriate and appreciated by people who have already given money.

So...?
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Mysterious Song Status Updates?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 08:48:47 AM »
You obviously do mind waiting, else you wouldn't be bemoaning the lack of regular updates.  I see no point in arbitrary deadlines and continual updates that reiterate "It's almost done, but..." (*cough* Pier Solar *cough*), so I'd rather stick with "It'll be done when it's done."  If that ain't good enough for you, then just get your money back and buy it when it's finally released, whenever that may be.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

lord_cack

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:38:10 AM »
Hmmmmm   :-k
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:50:30 AM »
You obviously do mind waiting, else you wouldn't be bemoaning the lack of regular updates.  I see no point in arbitrary deadlines and continual updates that reiterate "It's almost done, but..." (*cough* Pier Solar *cough*), so I'd rather stick with "It'll be done when it's done."  If that ain't good enough for you, then just get your money back and buy it when it's finally released, whenever that may be.
I didn't see anything wrong with him asking for some updates. It's something we've been trying to commit ourselves in doing more regularly.

But it is funny that jlued posted this when he did because there is in fact a pretty big update! I was waiting for The Old Rover or Black_Tiger to post about it, but just yesterday Black_Tiger had finshed the completed cinemas! There's still something else he needs to add to the cinemas, but it should be very quick and easy to do. Aside from that, the only thing left really is to finishing coding the cinemas and bonus material.

Oh I should also add that The Old Rover had his third child very recently, this time a boy! Not sure if that was posted around here already.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:13:59 AM by Keranu »
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

RoyVegas

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 10:06:23 AM »
The Old Rover had his third child very recently, this time a boy! Not sure if that was posted around here already.

Very cool!  I don't recall seeing anything posted about it at all.  Congrats Rover!

I don't think many people are truely angry or anything about the delays.  I think more than anything it's excitement and anticipation of it's release.  Everyone seems to be waiting pretty patiently from what I've seen.

Thanks for the updates.
All is well. :)

KingDrool

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:19:49 AM »
Hey Keranu, thanks for the update. I can always count on you to be a decent and reasonable guy.

On the other hand...

And here I was hoping to keep the thread upbeat and positive. BAM! First response: jerky.

I wasn't "bemoaning" a lack of updates. Nor was I asking for an "arbitrary deadline." And no, I don't mind waiting. But my point was that for people who have already put their money down, it might be nice to get some sort of, "Hey guys, just checking in to let you know how development is going since you were goodly enough to give us money to fund this thing" sort of update more than once in four months. Especially since when I preordered, the game was supposed to be out last March. Is that out of line or bitchy? I don't think so. I certainly didn't mean it to be.

So, in short: I don't mind waiting, I do like updates from time to time.

Thanks again, Keranu.

Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 11:11:35 AM »
I agree with Necro. There is no point in updates because nobody knows when the game is coming out. Every possible date is just going to be a disapointment. You may not want an arbitrary date, but an arbitrary date is all you are going to get.

The game will probably come out some day. That's the most you can hope for.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:14:33 AM by SignOfZeta »

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 11:16:43 AM »
On a related note, the art and and level design of Jungle Bros has been coming along very well as of late. Lord_cack and I have been working hard on this while Mysterious Song is finishing up.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 11:21:15 AM »
I wasn't "bemoaning" a lack of updates.

So you're happy that there hasn't been regular updates?  Look up the word "bemoan"; it has many definitions, not the least of which is "to complain".

..... the game was supposed to be out last March.

Exactly.  You're not the first person to ask for timely status updates; they've yet to come, and I seriously doubt they ever will.  The game's status has been at 95% complete for months, so had you been given updates, they would've looked something like "It's nearly done, but the cut scenes/character art/music/sprites/etc. need to be replaced/tweaked/etc."  I find such updates to be utterly meaningless and far more frustrating than no news at all.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

KingDrool

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 03:05:58 PM »
Tell you what, since I don't live on these friggin' forums, and hadn't seen any sort of status update since March, I thought I'd ask. Not "complain". ASK. Get me?

Sorry to put you out with my complete ignorance, but I didn't think a simple query would get me flamed by some stranger on a gaming forum.

Fuggin' hell...Look up the meaning of "kiss my ass."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:07:40 PM by jlued686 »

Got one to sell? PM me!

lord_cack

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 04:30:13 PM »
Hmmmmm   :-k

Hmmmmm   :-k

We always manage to bring out the ugly side of this issues. Not good. Needless to say, things have been moving along slowly. MSR has been a beast of a project with many stops, starts, restarts, and other things along the way. It has been fullfilling yet frustrating process through this game, which will hopefully make later projects less buggy as far as PR goes.

That has been an error on our part. Not keeping the community up to date. Necro's point is sort of valid in that, we really had no updates. I guess we could have posted "No news on the MSR development." Which is what it would have been.

We do now have most of the cut scene work in, and most of the in game graphics have been fixed from some issues we were having with them. But, all that was taken care of internally. Nothing to really note to the community. Now, the game is moving along in small chunks, as much can be expected considering the majority of the work left is Rovers and as has been mentioned his THIRD (Gratz Rover) child was born. So we take small steps in these situations as big deals.

So, sum it up, after a LONG period of downtime things are starting to slowly roll on the MSR project.

But, as was mentioned, Level Design and Animation are both moving along at a nice clip for the Jungle Bros. project. I hope that with in the year we will have atleast one Demo out for the game, if not two (don't quote me, I promise NOTHING). So for now everyone, courage.... now Im gonna go play Parodius Da!..... ugh NM
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

KingDrool

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 04:36:10 PM »
Thank you, sir. That's all I was wondering. Again, I don't come here often so I wasn't up-to-speed on the whole situation. Again, I have no problem waiting for it to be done as I'm happy to support new Turbo games. I was just curious, is all.

Thanks again.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 04:46:32 PM »
I hope that with in the year we will have atleast one Demo out for the game, if not two (don't quote me, I promise NOTHING). So for now everyone, courage.... now Im gonna go play Parodius Da!..... ugh NM

Don't forget that you guys DID release a demo already. sort of.

You just had to be at the CCAG to play it.

It was well received, and people seemed to enjoy a new RPG.  It really is fun to play games made by gamers, for old systems.

So to anyone with doubts, I can vouch for the fact that the game IS at the 95%+ mark. 
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 04:54:07 PM »
I think lord was referring to demos for Jungle Bros... which technically has one too and YOU have it :D !

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 05:00:15 PM »
I think lord was referring to demos for Jungle Bros... which technically has one too and YOU have it :D !

ohhh. yes, :D  that too.

both games are turning out nice.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.