Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 400 times)

Roy The Sunderer

Introduction
« on: July 13, 2010, 04:30:40 PM »
Hi everyone. I've been checking out the forums here for a few weeks and now I'm all set to post. The Turbografx-16 was one of my favorite systems back in the day. I recently got back into retro gaming and I picked up another Turbo. I've been building up the collection and I'll probably pick up most of the games. I bought a Turbo Duo, but that didn't work so I sent it back. I also bought a Turbo CD, but that didn't work either. I'm trying to find a Duo that works and won't cost a fortune so I can play my CD games. Is it just me, or are people basically out of their minds with some of the Turbo prices nowadays?
Geico saved 15% by switching to Chuck Norris.

Mathius

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 04:45:51 PM »
Hi everyone. I've been checking out the forums here for a few weeks and now I'm all set to post. The Turbografx-16 was one of my favorite systems back in the day. I recently got back into retro gaming and I picked up another Turbo. I've been building up the collection and I'll probably pick up most of the games. I bought a Turbo Duo, but that didn't work so I sent it back. I also bought a Turbo CD, but that didn't work either. I'm trying to find a Duo that works and won't cost a fortune so I can play my CD games. Is it just me, or are people basically out of their minds with some of the Turbo prices nowadays?

Oh no, now we got two Roys! Just joking. :) Welcome to the forums. Sorry about all your bad luck trying to get a Duo or Turbo CD. Ask around here and maybe you'll get lucky. Great thing about this site is very few scammers patrol its pages, so it's relatively safe. As for eBay price gouging? Dumb F#ckers ruining all the fun. The greed will hopefully go away sometime in the future when this "retrogaming craze" dies down. If it dies down at all.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:46:52 PM »
Shop around and see if anyones got a Duo-R to sell.  If its off ebay, you will probably nab it for a fair price.

Duo-R plays japanese hucards, and ANY cd game.   CD Games arent region specific.  You can make it play US games too, or you can just use a US Turbo grafx for the US HuCards you may want to play.

and, welcome to the land of the PCE/TG.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 02:06:35 AM »
Welcome aboard.  +1 on getting a Duo-R (or an RX if you happen to find one for a sweet price) and getting it region modded.  If you decide to stick with the TurboDuo, remember that it's almost always the lazer or the caps that fail, both of which are relatively cheap and easy to fix.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

jperryss

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 02:45:14 AM »
Welcome!

Another vote for the PC Engine Duo-R or RX. Should be able to find one for around $200 shipped on eBay and they are fairly reliable. The black Duos (US Turbo Duo and JP PC Engine Duo) are notorious for cap and other audio issues, but some people have had no problems with them.

With a region mod (to play US hucards) and an Arcade Card Duo or Pro (Duo card is cheaper) you've got access to basically every TG/PCE game ever, except for the half-dozen SuperGrafx games, and you're not missing much.

And yes, people ARE out of their minds with the US prices, but as long as others are paying the prices will remain high. With a region-modded Duo-R you've got access to either US or JP cards, many JP games are much cheaper than their US counterparts and you have the option as long as they are English friendly.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:48:43 AM by jperryss »

ceti alpha

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 03:40:51 AM »
Welcome aboard! :)

Sorry to hear about your Turbo troubles. The US Duo is very sexy, but even if you find a working one there is a good chance it will give you grief sooner or later. I actually have a US Duo and speak from experience. I have to also suggest you get a Duo-R for your CD games. If you want to play US HuCards just buy a TG-16, which can be normally be found for pretty cheap. Down the road you could pick up a US Duo if you really wanted it in your collection. But for dependability I would go with a Duo-R or Duo-RX - the only differences between the two are the RX 6 button controllers and slight cosmetic changes on the RX.

I hope you get up and running soon! :)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Roy The Sunderer

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 05:03:35 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes and advice. It sounds like the Duo-R is the way to go and the price seems much more reasonable. Maybe I can find one at the VGS this weekend. If not, I'll try to track one down online from a reliable seller. No big hurry, I'd rather be patient and get a decent deal. I have a Turbografx, so there's no problem playing the Hucards right now. I just have a bunch of CD games also and I'm anxious to try those out. It's been years since I've played Ys or Monster Lair.

ceti alpha

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 05:45:08 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes and advice. It sounds like the Duo-R is the way to go and the price seems much more reasonable. Maybe I can find one at the VGS this weekend. If not, I'll try to track one down online from a reliable seller. No big hurry, I'd rather be patient and get a decent deal. I have a Turbografx, so there's no problem playing the Hucards right now. I just have a bunch of CD games also and I'm anxious to try those out. It's been years since I've played Ys or Monster Lair.

Yeah, since you already have the TG for hueys, the Duo-R is definitely what you want.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 05:57:19 AM »
just be careful that you dont spot one and get suckered in by a jacked up price.   I saw one go for 399.99$ in may at a convention.

400$ for a loose duo-r.

HORRIBLE.   worst price ever.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Roy The Sunderer

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 10:41:57 AM »
Not to worry, I'll stick to the $200 ballpark. I'm sure I'll eventually find one. I've got plenty of other games to keep occupied with in the meantime.

ceti alpha

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 10:59:51 AM »
Not to worry, I'll stick to the $200 ballpark. I'm sure I'll eventually find one. I've got plenty of other games to keep occupied with in the meantime.

The $200 range shouldn't be a problem.

rag-time4

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 05:47:49 PM »
One thing to keep in mind when using the TurboGrafx for US games is that the controllers and multitaps aren't interchangable between the TurboGrafx and anything else in the PC-Engine family. The PC-Engine systems and all Duos use smaller controller ports than the TurboGrafx-16.

Sparky

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 11:59:12 PM »
welcome roy!!!  ya its just a really busy "buy it now" time in the lands of Turbo... hopefully it will die down so you can get in there and find what you are looking for at a good price. Like you said you have patients so i am sure you will find the goods in time :) <<group hug>>

Colossus1574

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 07:13:25 AM »
Welcome to the boards here sir!
    I've been only on here a few weeks now, but whatever questions you got, these guys know their $#!+.  I'm always amazed by the knowledge and resourcefulness of this bunch, just check out the repairs/mod threads and you'll know what i mean, hahaha.  Anyways, hopefully u land that CDrom soon, playing hucards are only part of the fun that is TG/PCE  :dance:

Roy The Sunderer

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 06:21:50 PM »
Well, as luck would have it, the opportunity presented itself and I was able to pick up a Turbo Duo. It's very clean and works just like it should. I really like the fact that I was able to play it before I bought it, plus picking it up meant that the Post Office wouldn't get a chance to destroy it in transit. I'm enjoying some old favorites and some games I never played before. Riot Zone has got to be the most blatant Streets of Rage copycat I've ever seen...but it's still fun! Thanks to all again for the advice. I'm stowing away my Turbografx in case this thing craps out. I still might pick up a Duo-R in the distant future.