Author Topic: So, what are people's feelings on the TurboExpress or PC Engine GT here?  (Read 343 times)

MaximumRD

Being completely new to the world of NEC consoles I have much to learn before I will be diving in which is why I joined here. I figured I would tackle this one first because in general I feel I have enough handhelds and I am not really one to use them on the go anyways. I do admit I always thought the TurboExpress/PC Engine GT was pretty amazing compared to other handhelds of the time. I was still curious about what the members here think of them in general, opinions, comments, stories. Is it particularly rare compared to the other NEC consoles? Many problems with them? Compatibility issues? Any info appreciated, I am here to learn!
My Classic Gaming Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD
My Classic Gaming Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=26887025879

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
It's awesome to me.  I like being able to take it places and play good hucards.   For the time, its still pretty good screen wise, soundwise, and control wise.

It'll rape batteries like there is no tomorrow though.

If you don't mind that part, its a good thing to have.  Headphones + TurboExpress + Parasol Stars = Fun Times.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Fatality

I also enjoy my TG Express. I love just sitting on my couch while watching TV and busting out the good old splatterhouse on the express.

Turbo D

I was still curious about what the members here think of them in general, opinions, comments, stories.

I really love mine. The best use I make of it is playing turbo on the toilet, lol. It is really quite addictive to play as an alternative to a television setup; you can easily switch cards in an instant without having to get up or anything like that. In fact, I have a special stack of TurboExpress designated hucards that I transport and play exclusively on my TurboExpress!

Is it particularly rare compared to the other NEC consoles?

I don't think it is particularly rare, but it does seem to have held its value well.

Many problems with them?

Unfortunately, our awesome handheld tends to suffer from leaky || dried-out capacitors :( However, the capacitor replacement is not difficult for someone with soldering capabilities.

Compatibility issues?

The only issue is that it is not region free. Playing PC-Engine games on a TurboExpress && vise versa, will require some sort of hucard converter || region modification.

SignOfZeta

For the time it was freaking awesome, only the PC Engine LT was a more amazing piece of kit.

Nowadays though, I play PC Engine games on the go using a PSP. The Express/GT has tiny crappy screen, eats batteries like no tomorrow, and doesn't play CDROMs. Its just not that useful in today's world, honestly.

DragonmasterDan

Being completely new to the world of NEC consoles I have much to learn before I will be diving in which is why I joined here. I figured I would tackle this one first because in general I feel I have enough handhelds and I am not really one to use them on the go anyways. I do admit I always thought the TurboExpress/PC Engine GT was pretty amazing compared to other handhelds of the time. I was still curious about what the members here think of them in general, opinions, comments, stories. Is it particularly rare compared to the other NEC consoles? Many problems with them? Compatibility issues? Any info appreciated, I am here to learn!

The screen compared to any other handhelds of the era is so much better as far as refresh rate and clarity that it blows anything from its era out of the water. Until the GBA SP or Micro we hadn't seen a better screen.

With that said, there are consistent problems with TEs/GTs and leaky or failing caps. I've owned 3 of them before getting one with changed out caps. The few I've seen in the wild all seem to have dimmed screens and failing (or failed) sound. There are a lot of hardware problems and finding an unmodified fully working model is almost unheard of this many years later.

As far as compatibility problems, there aren't many major issues as long as you're happy playing single player Hucard games that only use two buttons. There are a few games with multiplayer capability that can use the link cable, but it pales in comparison to the total number of multiplayer hucards that work using a regular console.

If you can find a working one (or repair a broken one) they're worth picking up.
--DragonmasterDan

henrycsc

Back in the day, the US Turbo Grafx hardware was pretty obscure at best in most parts of the country.  Hardcore gamers knew what it was, but the general public didn't have a clue that there was anything out there other than a Genesis or SNES.  That being said, I think taking my express on the road with me did as much to market the TG16 hardware as the NEC advertising campaign.

Whenever I traveled, I would take the express on the plane with me.  Sitting in the terminal playing Dragon's Curse, Bomberman, or Parasol Stars would draw some attention, but putting on the TV Tuner would draw a crowd!  I just loved hearing the oohs and aahs of people that just couldn't believe you could squeeze a color TV in such a small box, and the fact that you could also play games in it was a bonus.  The architecture of the handheld was at least 10 years ahead of its time.

NEC shooting for the stars probably contributed to the dissappointing sales in that NEC couldn't really get the price competitive (and wasn't willing to take a huge loss on the hardware like some later companies have done.) 

That said, I think NEC shooting for the stars is probably the main reason that the PC-Engine family is the holy grail of collectable consoles these days.  In general, collectors love industry firsts, and the PC-Engine family is loaded with firsts.  (Yes, you might argue systems like FM Towns Marty and Atari Lynx may have had some firsts of their own, but NEC took it to another level, and did it with everything.)  The advanced technology combined with the relative obscurity in the US make it one of those magical combinations for collectors and gamers alike. 

If you can afford one, you owe it to yourself to add an Express or GT to your collection!  It's still fun as hell to play, and if you have a repaired one, it should last you for years to come.

One other thing, I do agree with Zeta that the LT was the only piece of hardware that trumped the Express back in the day, but back in the day, but that's kinda like comparing a Rolls Royce to the Space Shuttle! 

....now if I can only find a boxed Space Shuttle....  :)
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: henrycsc
I just loved hearing the oohs and aahs of people that just couldn't believe you could squeeze a color TV in such a small box, and the fact that you could also play games in it was a bonus.  The architecture of the handheld was at least 10 years ahead of its time.

Those people must have not been very up on the electronics of the time. Years before the Express there were portable color TVs not much bigger than an iPhone. Way way smaller than the gigantic Express.

That being said, the TV tuner was very nice. In fact, I actually bought my Express (1999 or so) from a guy at work who didn't have any games and only used the system to watch sports at work! I eventually sold it after a few years when I realized I just never used the thing. It kills six AAs in about 2.5 hours, which is just f*cking insane, especially around the time when I got mine, when handheld battery life was at its peak. Neo Geo Pocket=50 hours from two AAs, Wonderswan=38 hours from 1AA.

ceti alpha

I'd love to have one, but for now I'm just going to stick with playing PCE/TG games on my DSi. With the money I would be spending on batteries I could be buying games. heh. That being said, I will probably pick one up at some point along the way, if just for nostalgia's sake.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
I have to agree with Ceti and Zeta: if you just want to play games on the go, you're better off with an emulator on a PSP, DS, etc; no matter how advanced the Express was back in the day, LCD screens, battery life, portability, compatibility, and reliability are all superior on modern handhelds.  The only things that an Express can give you is the ability to play 'real' games and a pile of dead batteries, though it's still cool to have for a collection.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

henrycsc

Well, if emulators are all you guys are after, why bother with any of the hardware?  Its easy enough to burn a disc image onto a CD-R and pop it in Magic Engine.  IMHO that is if you want to compare 2010 technology and 1989 technology.... 

Still a friggin super cool piece of hardware, convince me otherwise! 
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Well, if emulators are all you guys are after, why bother with any of the hardware?  Its easy enough to burn a disc image onto a CD-R and pop it in Magic Engine.

I don't recall typing "L337 H4X()RZ PL4Y2 DA R()MZ!", nor did anyone else.  :roll:

IMHO that is if you want to compare 2010 technology and 1989 technology.... 

Why shouldn't I?  My calendar says that it is 2010.

Still a friggin super cool piece of hardware, convince me otherwise! 

There's no need, as nobody has said otherwise.  As much as I like my TurboExpress, I'm not blind to the fact that an emulator on a modern handheld offers the better gaming experience; to wit, here's a list of pros for each option:

PSP/DS                                    TurboExpress
superior image quality                 'real' games
CD support
larger screen
region free
longer battery life
reliable
pocket-able
save states

It's a rather lopsided list, eh? 
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

chany60126

Hey guys, is there is a viable replacement for the standard AC adapter for the Express? Instead of the original NEC adapter, I was wonderin' if there is something from Radio Shack or Amazon that we could use as well.
SignofZeta: What a quintessentially PCEFX thread. Someone complains about nothing, multiple Bible-length posts discussing who's a bigger a$$hole follow. You're both pretty big a$$holes. Let's call it a tie.

SignOfZeta

At home the real hardware thing is where its at. Emulators always feel "wrong" to me, something's always janky.

On the PSP this is still the case, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. For example, you can actually read the text in Neutopia on a PSP. The PSP's screen is twice as big (usable area) even though the unit itself is just a fraction of the size of an Express. Hell, bringing my entire Macbook on a trip is easier than bringing an Express. Like the PSP, it plays CDROMS, has better battery life, AND you can watch TV on the thing, which an Express no longer does. While a Macbook is a lot larger height and width-wise, its less than half as thick so overall volume might be similar. Both the PSP and a laptop can easily store every HuCard, both regions, ever made, and quite a few CDROM2 ISOs as well.

Honestly I could forgive all the Express's faults if not for the screen. What was one of the best LCDs ever made back in the day is utter crap by today's standards. You can measure the dot pitch with a yard stick, and reading text is extremely hard.

DragonmasterDan

Hey guys, is there is a viable replacement for the standard AC adapter for the Express? Instead of the original NEC adapter, I was wonderin' if there is something from Radio Shack or Amazon that we could use as well.

I know the Lynx AC adapter works, but it may be a slightly higher voltage.
--DragonmasterDan