Author Topic: The next best thing to Console wars... Smartphone wars!  (Read 660 times)

Turbo D

Re: The next best thing to Console wars... Smartphone wars!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 02:21:15 PM »
Most of these OEMs make as much money from kickbacks from putting shortcuts for trial software on the desktop (something that Apple doesn't do at all) than they do by actually selling the computer itself. Are you saying that is what they should be aiming for?

Why include links to trial software for kickbacks when the only software that works(or is worth using) on Mac OS is made by Apple? lol. As far as the iphone goes, the same situation is existent except for the fact that jailbreaking has recently become a legal practice(which I was happy to hear).

Anyone who was into computers in the 80s had a much better selection*... but that was a different time. Computers were much more reliable back then, and there were more OS to chose from, but computers also cost a lot more and didn't do nearly as much stuff so...its a trade off.

I disagree about machines and/or OSs being more reliable in the eighties. The techniques in software design as well as the manufacture of hardware we have today is so far ahead of the technologies of the eighties. In fact (to stay on topic) my cellular phone is a more powerful and more reliable computer than any computer built in the eighties.

blueraven

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 03:25:55 PM »
The iPhone will win.  Not because it's better but because of the Mapple marketing juggernaut and the legions of iSheep that will ignore the competition no matter how good.

Exactly.

But seriously imo, having used the iPhone, Android (Both Linux and the closed-source version), and Blackberry extensively, The iPhone wins HANDS DOWN. Why? because its a f*cking tricorder. Google Sky is cool, but it was the only app I found myself going back to and smiling on the Android. I was bored with the android and didn't like the controls. The Blackberry's email features were cool, but the flimsiness of the micro-keyboard (broken key, broken key, etc) makes me want to throw it against wall (which I did). I can type stupid-fast on the glass screen of my 3G iPhone, and I can tether my linux laptop to it now. I'm willing to bet many of the haters don't own one for whatever reason. And the "Cult Of Mac" is annoying, btw.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

TheClash603

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 03:48:01 PM »
I play Strip Blackjack on my Droid all of the time.  There is titty and meat curtains a plenty in the game.

If I can't see a winking pink brownie cake on the iphone app store, I don't wanna use it.

This is why android is far better.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 07:24:38 PM »
Quote from: turbo D
I disagree about machines and/or OSs being more reliable in the eighties. The techniques in software design as well as the manufacture of hardware we have today is so far ahead of the technologies of the eighties. In fact (to stay on topic) my cellular phone is a more powerful and more reliable computer than any computer built in the eighties.

Evidently you don't understand "reliable". Computers back then basically never crashed, ever, until...probably about the time the Mac Plus came out, and things started getting really complicated. Machines like the Apple II or C64 would literally go years without a total lock up, and even then it was almost always due to a read/write error. I don't know about your cell phone, but I've crashed every one I've owned in the last 5 years. My Sidekick LX isn't so bad, but if you don't reboot it every day it gets slow.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 07:41:31 PM »
Quote from: Necromancer
The poll is not asking which phone OS is the most profitable, so what's your point?  Guyjin makes a valid point, as Apple makes only one phone: you'll be taking your money elsewhere if you want longer battery life, more durability, a network other than AT&T, improved reception, a better built-in camera, an integrated cheese grater, or flash support.

I was responding to him, not the poll. He said,

you may be right, at least short term. But Apple has learned nothing from its history; a single format from a single manufacturer, no matter how good, can ever compete against choice

They are "competing" just fine. In fact, totally dominating, might be a better way to put it. They sold, what 1 million iPhone 4s per week for the first three weeks? It sounds like they are doing OK.

The reason why I mention this is because the logical inconstancy that people have when it comes to system wars in general. The Cube was considered a total failure, and obviously it was on many levels, but it did actually make money, as opposed to the XBox1 which put MS billions (no exaggeration) in the hole. Being #1 in sales is the goal of a shortsighted company. General Motors was #1 in sales and went bankrupt. Were they still "winning" during that time, when they were beating their own world record for largest corporate loss every other quarter?

Apple has "learned nothing"? It seems like they learned how to make shitloads of money while setting the standard to beat on a regular basis. Where the f*ck did all these (quasi-useful) tablet devices come from? I don't remember seeing any of them until the iPad rumors went to full steam. I also don't remember very many phones out there that were basically a buttonless touchscreen. Apple could start selling human feces in a white box tomorrow and even before the sales numbers would come in, MS, Dell, Toshiba, HP, and Sony would have their iPoop competitors half way through development.

Sometimes I wonder if that was the whole idea behind the iPad in the first place. You know that companies like Sony and MS just created entire design departments to ape that gadget as soon as it was announced (before, really) and while its clear that people like the actual iPad, people might not actually give a shit about any cell phone OS based tablet that isn't an actual iPad, so these devisions, in most of these companies, are likely to lose money. Could this have been Apple's plan all along? They create markets all the time, would they intentionally created a useless one just so that their competitors would lose money when they tried to get into it? That would be pretty hilarious, IMO.

Personally, what I want is a tablet Mac, not a giant iPhone.

nodtveidt

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 01:36:59 AM »
I play Strip Blackjack on my Droid all of the time.  There is titty and meat curtains a plenty in the game.

If I can't see a winking pink brownie cake on the iphone app store, I don't wanna use it.

I have to agree. :D

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 03:45:37 AM »
I was responding to him, not the poll. He said,

you may be right, at least short term. But Apple has learned nothing from its history; a single format from a single manufacturer, no matter how good, can ever compete against choice

Which was a direct response to my contention that the iPhone will win the sales war, consequently having nothing to do with profits.  If we were to use profitability as a determinant, then Android doesn't even have a horse in this race.

Where the f*ck did all these (quasi-useful) tablet devices come from? I don't remember seeing any of them until the iPad rumors went to full steam.

Slate computers have been around for decades.  Hell, the iPad isn't even the first Apple slate (see below).

Have you seen the ModBook?  It's a slate like the iPad, but it's built on MacBook hardware.  Unfortunately, it's stupid expensive.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 05:06:07 AM »
Have you seen the ModBook?  It's a slate like the iPad, but it's built on MacBook hardware.  Unfortunately, it's stupid expensive.

OK, now that actually looks useful. It actually has USB ports and a real operating system, though it is quite expensive. I didn't jizz in my pants when I first saw the iPad like some people, but maybe next years model will offer USB and stylus support. I know you can get a stylus for the iPad, but you can't use it like a stylus on the DS, or like on the ModBook. The Microsoft tablet looked very promising as well, but they jumped ship on the concept.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

hoobs88

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 06:00:44 AM »

LOL
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

SignOfZeta

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 10:41:29 PM »
Quote from: Necromancer
Slate computers have been around for decades.  Hell, the iPad isn't even the first Apple slate (see below).

Can we please not say, "slate". I f*cking hate that term.

And yeah, I know tablet PCs and such have been around for some time, but you and I both know that the entire range of mobile OS based tablets that are out now were spawned %80 by the ipad (%20 by the Kindle). A year ago there were no tablets on the market that...that anyone could actually name, basically.

Yeah, its been available for a couple of years now, and honestly, its not actually that expensive. Apple sells $3000 Macbook Pros. I personally don't spend $1800 on a computer. I'd buy an official Apple product that was $1300 or so though.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 04:59:36 AM »
Can we please not say, "slate". I f*cking hate that term.

I'll continue to use accurate terminology rather than generic terms; "tablet" includes all portable computers with touchscreens, whereas "slate" is limited to tablets without keyboards.

And yeah, I know tablet PCs and such have been around for some time, but you and I both know that the entire range of mobile OS based tablets that are out now were spawned %80 by the ipad (%20 by the Kindle).

That's only true if you limit the "entire range of mobile OS based tablets" to modest slates like the iPad.  There's plenty of full featured tablets still available that don't ape the iPad but are rather evolutions of previous models (i.e. - Toughbooks, ThinkPads, LifeBooks, Proteges, etc.).  Almost every major PC manufacturer made a tablet years before the iPad's existence, and many of those are still being produced.

A year ago there were no tablets on the market that...that anyone could actually name, basically.

Admittedly, their popularity was limited to a fairly small subset of PC buyers and they didn't have household names (neither will any of the iPad's competitors), but they sold well enough to avoid cancellation.  The iPad is anything but original and innovative; the only thing that Apple has created with it is a larger market.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

blueraven

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 05:20:32 AM »
NEWTON WINS
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

ceti alpha

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 05:34:35 AM »
Admittedly, their popularity was limited to a fairly small subset of PC buyers and they didn't have household names (neither will any of the iPad's competitors), but they sold well enough to avoid cancellation.  The iPad is anything but original and innovative; the only thing that Apple has created with it is a larger market.

You can call the iPad a lot of things, but "innovative" is certainly not one of them.

First tablet/slate concept created in the 60s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynabook

Xerox must be kicking themselves silly that they gave up their graphical interface developments. lol
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:48:15 AM by ceti alpha »

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Opethian

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 01:41:44 AM »
Xerox had the ideas in-house, just no foreward thinking people to get make technology useful/marketable to the public.

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me