Author Topic: Finicky turbo taps  (Read 393 times)

PigInTheMud

Finicky turbo taps
« on: August 06, 2010, 10:42:27 AM »
All of my turbo taps seem to be finicky, and they have been for as long as I have had them. Does anyone know of a fix so that I won't have to yell at my friends to stop moving?

Problems include:
Start button being pressed repeatedly
Can't move right
Automatically pressing I or II

These problems only happen sometimes and never together.

kid_rondeau

Re: Finicky turbo taps
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 12:15:56 AM »
I've had similar problems that stemmed from using a TurboCable extension on the tap itself... So for distance playing I just bought five cables.
But it sounds like maybe there's a break or loose connection or short somewhere in the taps' cables, or of course it could be your TG16's controller port. I've seen it sometimes where they get wonky and problems don't show up until you use a tap.

To troubleshoot, I suggest that you try the following (in descending order of likelihood/ease):
1.) Try a different TG-16, if possible
2.) Replace one of your taps' cables with a TurboPad cable, using Nat's excellent guide shown here:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=2893.0
3.) If you have soldering skillz, try replacing your TG-16's controller port. Here's the one I've used:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobiconn/161-0508-E/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv0W4pxf2HiVz6Hcvjn4o%252bnew5eyr1V%252bT0%3d
4.) You could try replacing all five ports in one of your taps...a little extreme, but not unheard of, especially if it's been through years of 5-player action.

That's really all I can think of...unless the pads themselves are flaky. Good luck mang!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:17:47 AM by kid_rondeau »

blueraven

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 01:53:11 PM »
Does the issue(s) happen when you don't use a tap?
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

PigInTheMud

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 05:07:23 PM »
No, all my controllers have been tested in the system port individually. They all work correctly

blueraven

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 08:16:49 AM »
Hit the controller port on the system with compressed air, and make sure you clean out all of the holes.

On the tap, of all 5 ports, on which of the ports does the issue(s) happen?

1, 2, 3, 4, or 5?

And is it always the same problem? (i.e. If you plug into port 1 the start button goes wacky, or if you plug into port 2 left doesn't work) or are the problems random?
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

PigInTheMud

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 02:38:00 AM »
The main issue is that all the players cannot move right.
Problems happen on all 5 ports
Sometimes when I plug in player 1 the start button gets pressed repeatedly

I'm going to order controller port replacements to see if that affects one of the turbotaps

kid_rondeau

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 06:51:37 AM »
Yeah, I used to have this problem on my first TurboTap...all of my friends knew the phrase "I have no right and 2."

blueraven

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 09:03:55 AM »
Ok, keep us updated on the status of the tap and whether the replacement fixes the problem, I have a few other ideas if this doesn't fix the problem.
--

nodtveidt

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 03:14:37 AM »
It's a well-known Tap problem, actually... some Taps are affected by it, and some aren't. Back when I was collecting, I had one Tap that had it and one that didn't. It seems to stem from the large controller chip inside the Tap going out of sync, and unfortunately it seems to be an unrepairable fatal flaw.

kid_rondeau

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 03:27:16 AM »
It seems to stem from the large controller chip inside the Tap going out of sync, and unfortunately it seems to be an unrepairable fatal flaw.

For real? I never knew this! I wonder if a drop-in replacement is available anywhere.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 04:10:59 AM »
For real? I never knew this! I wonder if a drop-in replacement is available anywhere.

Even if there is, it probably isn't worth the effort, seeing as a tap can be had for less than $10.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Paddyfitz18

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 05:12:54 AM »
It's a well-known Tap problem, actually... some Taps are affected by it, and some aren't. Back when I was collecting, I had one Tap that had it and one that didn't. It seems to stem from the large controller chip inside the Tap going out of sync, and unfortunately it seems to be an unrepairable fatal flaw.

I assume this is correct, but I wanted to revive this thread in case there was any more information to be had.  How common is this malfunction?  Anyone try to correct it and was successful?

I hadn't needed a turbotap for ages, but now I've got some foster kids staying with me and they are all about my Turbografx setup.   So I got a turbotap a while back and found it has this problem.  I've never seen this issue before.

I probably would attempt a fix if there was one out there someone knew about.  With me there is always a chance I will f*ck it up, but since a turbotap is one item that is still generally inexpensive and replaceable, I would probably give it a shot.

ishiyakazuo

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 09:27:54 AM »
Hmmm... I just ran into a similar issue just the other day.  I had my Avenue Pad 6 connected to the tap and was playing Victory Run, and it started pausing repeatedly, even though the switch was set to A (2 button).  I removed it and plugged in a 2 button controller in the same port, and it started working fine.  I just kind of said "weird" and put it aside, but it's interesting to know that this happens sometimes...

ApolloBoy

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 08:34:18 AM »
I'm surprised nobody suggested reflowing the solder joints on the controller ports. The TurboTap has a single-sided PCB (meaning all the traces and solder joints are on the bottom of the board), so there's a pretty good chance it's bad solder joints.
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

Paddyfitz18

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 02:32:14 PM »
I'm surprised nobody suggested reflowing the solder joints on the controller ports. The TurboTap has a single-sided PCB (meaning all the traces and solder joints are on the bottom of the board), so there's a pretty good chance it's bad solder joints.

Thanks.  I'll give it a shot.