Author Topic: WTB: TurboGrafx-CD  (Read 426 times)

emuola

WTB: TurboGrafx-CD
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:16:11 PM »
As you can see, I'm new here, so please be gentle ;) Would anyone have this official "addon" for sale? I have a brand new TG16 (PAL) with a region switch, so I'd not like to get me a TurboDuo. Or is it a completely dumb to buy a TurboGrafx-CD instead of a TurboDuo?

DragonmasterDan

Re: WTB: TurboGrafx-CD
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:49:10 AM »
As you can see, I'm new here, so please be gentle ;) Would anyone have this official "addon" for sale? I have a brand new TG16 (PAL) with a region switch, so I'd not like to get me a TurboDuo. Or is it a completely dumb to buy a TurboGrafx-CD instead of a TurboDuo?

A few things that are worth noting, I'm not sure if the PAL TurboGrafx is compatible with the CD-rom (has anyone here ever tested this? ).

The other part worth mentioning is for it to have the same functionality as a Duo you have to track down the Super CD system card.
--DragonmasterDan

Frank_fjs

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 01:54:38 AM »
I see Super CD system cards for sale all the time, they're not rare yet.

Re the CD unit, I have the Japanese one and it took me a while to track down a working one that didn't cost a fortune. I'm not sure if the Japanese one is compatible with a TurboGrafx but I can't see why not, I'm not aware of any differences aside from colour. The black American CD units seem to be super rare, you might have better luck tracking down a Japanese one (assuming someone can confirm they are compatible with US consoles).

There's a few Japanese CD units on eBay but they're bundled with interface units/consoles and a bit pricey. I could have got you a working Japanese one for $70 if you asked about 1 week ago.

emuola

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:12:44 AM »
Ok, thanks for the info guys  :)

I guess the Super system card is not a big problem, but I also wonder if the japanese cd-rom unit is compatible with a TG-16? The connector is the same (a scsi?), but the casing around the connector can be purposely made a bit different for making things more difficult ;) It would be great, if someone could confirm this to the way or the other.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 05:56:33 AM »
In all honesty, it's easier and cheaper in the long run to get a Duo, they are a lot more reliable too. They have a built in system card as well, another expense spared.

I won't be using my CD-ROM2 unit much in fear of it breaking, they are temperamental things and I'm sure you've heard all about the notorious middle gear. I have the briefcase setup but will be venturing to a Duo when funds permit.

You could always sell your console to go towards the Duo.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 05:58:06 AM »
A PCE CD will work with a TG-16 interface unit, but you're better off with a Duo-R, as they're more reliable and would probably cost less than a PCE CD and a TG-16 interface anyway.  Plus, then you'd be able to play both region's games and would be getting away from PAL (for most games).

Rare, no; moderately expensive, yes.  Unless emuola's TG is region modded, he'll have to shell out quite a bit for a US Super CD system card.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Frank_fjs

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 06:20:11 AM »
and would be getting away from PAL (for most games).
I didn't think there were any PAL games? There's Japanese and American, both NTSC. I know that there was a European Turbo Grafx sold, which you can still buy new to this day as they obviously didn't sell well, and that had an encoder chip onboard to convert to PAL, but as far as I know not many, if any, European games were released. People just played the American games on it.

Rare, no; moderately expensive, yes.  Unless emuola's TG is region modded, he'll have to shell out quite a bit for a US Super CD system card.
Ah, I'm thinking in Japanese mode. I forget that the US versions tend to cost more.

emuola

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 06:31:55 AM »
I didn't think there were any PAL games? There's Japanese and American, both NTSC. I know that there was a European Turbo Grafx sold, which you can still buy new to this day as they obviously didn't sell well, and that had an encoder chip onboard to convert to PAL, but as far as I know not many, if any, European games were released. People just played the American games on it.

Yes, that's what I have. Cost only 40 euros (~$50) as new :) And I definitely play us and jp games as it's modded :)

It seems, that I'd better get me a duo-r for reliability, price etc reasons... Is the duo-r hard to mod to play us games? If I remember correctly, a simple converter/switch wasn't enough this way (playing us games with a jp console)?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »
The cost of getting a working Turbo CD and a Super System Card is going to be pretty close to that of a Duo R. Also, the TG-16+CD is a lot less reliable and a lot uglier.

Paying more for less is popular with NEC fans, so you might want the TG-16+CD regardless, I'm just letting you know that from a practicality/economics perspective...what you want, is a Duo R.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 06:38:26 AM »
I didn't think there were any PAL games?

I didn't say there was.

Is the duo-r hard to mod to play us games? If I remember correctly, a simple converter/switch wasn't enough this way (playing us games with a jp console)?

It's only slightly harder than a TG-16, as you have to ground one extra pin (the HuCard socket modification is identical).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Frank_fjs

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 06:44:46 AM »
Sorry, I misread your post.

I didn't realise the OP had the Euro console. It's usually referred to as a Turbo Grafx (no 16). I thought he meant he had an American Turbo Grafx 16 that had been modded for PAL for some reason. :oops:

I now know what you meant with your statement RE PAL.

I was going to buy one of those new Euro TG's, but the cost of shipping to Australia was too great. Plus, I think the Jap console looks nicer.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 07:08:06 AM »

TurboGrafx ones or PC Engine ones? I don't see a lot of TurboGrafx Super System Cards.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:11:11 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

Frank_fjs

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 07:21:28 AM »
Yeah, PC Engine ones.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 07:23:24 AM »
Yeah, PC Engine ones.

I didn't spot that he had his Turbo Region modded. My mistake, so I was operating under the assumption he'd need a convertor or a US system card.
--DragonmasterDan

emuola

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 07:46:51 AM »
Ok, just checked the current situation in Ebay...

I'd suffer about $200 for a Duo-R shipped to Finland :) I understood that the controller port pinout of Duo-R is the same as TG-16, but the Duo-R has a mini Din8 -port, right? I have 5 spanking new controllers for my TG-16, but does someone sell those DIN8 -> mini DIN8 -adapters? Or am I just completely lost here?