Author Topic: WTB SuperGrafx AC Adaptor  (Read 484 times)

PigInTheMud

WTB SuperGrafx AC Adaptor
« on: August 30, 2010, 12:11:25 PM »
I recently purchased a fairly cheap SuperGrafx; however, it does not come with an AC adaptor. Does anyone have any SuperGrafx AC adaptors for sale around here. I don't particularly want to pay $50 for one on ebay. I guess I would be satisfied if anyone knew of a good equivalent power supply that's cheaper than $35.

turbogrfxfan

Re: WTB SuperGrafx AC Adaptor
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:31:31 PM »
i think a duo would work.  Im not sure.  Ill tell you sat when i get my sgx
"is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Frank_fjs

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 02:48:32 PM »

The official one is a PAD-113, as you can see from the pic. That's obviously a Japanese console, I'm not sure if the US one is the same.

You might be able to get away with something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/9V-DC-1A-security-adequate-power-adapter-/220509033221?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_1431wt_911

You just need to find out the size of the plug. Most PC Engine stuff seems to use a 2.1mm plug, so you should be right. I can't see the SuperGrafx drawing more than 1A. When ordering, you need to specify reverse polarity (outside +, inside -).

I bought one from that same seller and it works great on my PC Engine console.

BlueBMW

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 02:55:54 PM »
I picked up an appropriate A/C adapter and tip for my US Turbo CD base for about $30 at radio shack, does someone have the exact voltage / mA rating?  Maybe we can find one close.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Frank_fjs

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 03:02:44 PM »
Super Grafx uses DC 9V 800mA. Polarity of plug is outside positive, inside negative.

I don't know what size plug though, I would guess 2.1mm.

Should be easy to track down a cheap, suitable, power supply. The one I link to above will work fine as long as the Super Grafx has a 2.1mm plug. If not, get one of those adjustable power supplies with interchangeable tips.

PigInTheMud

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 03:07:27 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/800mA-AC-DC-Power-Adapter-Supply-3V-5V-6V-9V-12V-15V-/370290609381?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56370a4ce5#ht_2484wt_911

Would this be a good one?
It says that:
I can switch the polarity
Input: AC 100V-240V
Output: DC 3V-5V-6V-9V-12V-15V 800mA

Frank_fjs

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »
That would definitely work. You could select the right voltage, polarity and plug size for lots of different consoles. Just make sure you get the polarity right!

I think it's a little expensive for only 800mA, but that's enough for the Super Grafx, and plenty of other consoles.

RR1980

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 08:49:49 PM »
you can use a famicom ac adapter if you have one.

PigInTheMud

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 11:18:19 AM »

I just remembered that I bought this for my Sega Master System II a while ago. I don't think that a .05A difference would change all that much, would it?

Frank_fjs

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 01:38:20 PM »
Not at all.

Amps don't matter in that sense, the console will only draw what it needs. You could have a 2000mA adapter and it would do no harm.

It's Volts that can be a killer.

If the plug fits, that adapter will do the job perfectly.

PigInTheMud

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 11:31:50 AM »
Well I got my console in the mail. Definitely different from the picture.

The problem is that I have absolutely no AC Adapters that fit into the console. It is about a mm bigger than the Genesis Model 1 power supply and smaller than the Super Nintendo power supply.

PigInTheMud

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 01:32:37 PM »
So, I ended up going to Fry's Electronics and they had nothing, but then I went to Radio shack and the guy tested out various plugs and found that the Super Grafx can use the Enercell Adaptaplug Q which is equal to: Outer diameter: 6.3mm. Inner diameter: 3.0mm.
The problem is that Radio shack is trying to charge me $30 for that. It's completely ridiculous. I can't seem to find a well priced properly sized ac adaptor for the Super Grafx in the U.S.

Am I going to have to buy that overpriced $45 one from ebay?

rag-time4

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 03:14:04 PM »
Not at all.

Amps don't matter in that sense, the console will only draw what it needs. You could have a 2000mA adapter and it would do no harm.

It's Volts that can be a killer.

If the plug fits, that adapter will do the job perfectly.
There is some disagreement among some of the tech heads on this forum about whether older electronics like the SuperGrafx will "only draw what it needs".

I think it's much better to go with an AC adapter that has an output that matches perfectly with the original 9V 800mA output of the official AC adapter.

This one from radio shack is a perfect match: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3807942

When I first bought my SuperGrafx, I also had no AC adapter, and I bought one of these radioshack ones and used it and it works perfectly, with the appropriate tip. When I bought it, the first tip was included in the price, so it was like 22 or 23 dollars.

One advantage of the radio shack AC adapter is that it is made for US wall voltage (120V AC), whereas the Japanese AC adapter is made for Japanese voltage (100V AC)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 02:30:59 AM »

Why in hell would you pay $45 for a decades old used AC adapter when you can get one from RadioShack for $30 (actually only $20.89 as shown in rag's post, with a free plug and free shipping).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

PigInTheMud

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 08:14:33 AM »

Why in hell would you pay $45 for a decades old used AC adapter when you can get one from RadioShack for $30 (actually only $20.89 as shown in rag's post, with a free plug and free shipping).

That would be very stupid of me to buy the super grafx adapter. I just like having original items.
I thought that the ac adaptor didn't include the $7 tip at first. But i went back today and decided to buy it. Works great. Only problem I have is that it feels loose in the outlet. Still willing to buy an original supergrafx adapter but for no more than $20