Author Topic: Real dumb question re: duo R  (Read 498 times)

exodus

Real dumb question re: duo R
« on: October 03, 2010, 01:53:57 PM »
Soooo my friend came over to my house and thought the ole led thingie in the middle of the console, to the left of the tray, was the on button. So he jammed it right in, and broke the thing, so now that's somewhere rattling around in my console. My question is - if I turn it on in this state is the little guard for the light in there likely to be touching anything important? Can I just use it as normal?

If not, where can I still get the kind of screwdriver that'll open that thing?

thanks!!! I sure wish he hadn't done that, because I haven't played my pc engine for like 2 months as a result!

Duo_R

Re: Real dumb question re: duo R
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »
Does the light still come on? If not you got a loose LED rolling around in there which isn't good. I would try to get that fixed.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

exodus

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 02:08:02 PM »
I haven't turned it on - the LED is on the board, now that I look inside there, it's just the little light cover that got pushed in. I definitely don't want it rattling around in there, but don't know if the screwdrivers to open it up are commercially available!

BlueBMW

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 02:48:17 PM »
The Duo-R is a T10 security screw I think (meaning it has a little bump in the middle)  You should be able to find it without too much trouble.  If its just the plastic piece floating around, that probably wont cause much trouble electrically.  Although I would try and get it out at some point and maybe superglue it back into place.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

exodus

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 03:17:47 PM »
ok! that's the plannnn, thanks blue bmw!

nat

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »
Christ, what a dipshit. Those things don't just fall in there easily, you think he would've got a clue after he pressed..... and it didn't move. Instead, he just pressed harder. Ha.

exodus

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 07:27:45 PM »
I guess he didn't know his own strength! ... or something. he actually just gave it one real solid jab, and it went right in. ah well!!

Duo_R

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
I hope u jabbed him in the face...lol
Add my YouTube channel:

exodus

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 06:13:53 AM »
I just stood there, mouth agape in horror

Duo_R

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 07:51:05 PM »
I don't care how good a friend is, if they break something on your duo you gotta drop kick them on the spot. OBEY TEH DUO!!!!
Add my YouTube channel:

ceti alpha

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 02:09:06 AM »
Christ, what a dipshit. Those things don't just fall in there easily, you think he would've got a clue after he pressed..... and it didn't move. Instead, he just pressed harder. Ha.

hahaha. "Oh look, big shiny button. I press real good like and make it go."

I just stood there, mouth agape in horror

lol. What else can you do, except jab him in the face like Duo-R suggested? Just sucks. You know the guy didn't do it on purpose, but you'd think he wouldn't have put all his eggs in one basket. You'd think he'd carefully test out where the button may be before ramming his fist down the duo's throat.  #-o
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:10:46 AM by ceti alpha »

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 02:57:46 AM »
My boot would've met his ass, post haste.  :twisted:

As for your Duo - I wouldn't want to turn it on without opening it up first.  If there's loose metal in there, you're risking a short; even if it's just the plastic thing rolling around, it could jam up the works at the CD transport.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Duo_R

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 08:42:50 PM »
funny thing I just noticed my LEd cover got pushed in. I must have bumped it when moving the Duo. Well I took a look inside and the way this cover is mounted isn't designed very well. Pretty easy to fix, just a dab of super glue in the corner and your fixed.

As for the bit it is a T10 Security Tee Star bit. I found one at a hardware store for like $2.
Add my YouTube channel:

SignOfZeta

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 06:58:08 AM »
The correct name is Torx®, but they are supposed to pay a license to use the name. There are secure and non-secure versions, the difference is the little bump in the middle.

Duo_R

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 07:00:10 AM »
They have different names, but it isn't just a standard torx. Other places call them tamper free T stars
Add my YouTube channel: