Author Topic: Region Modification for PC Engine Duo...  (Read 756 times)

goombakid

Region Modification for PC Engine Duo...
« on: October 03, 2010, 07:52:33 PM »
Hello all! I'm new to the forums, but a long time PC Engine/Turbografx fan. Found this site while looking for mods for my TG16.

I've just purchased a PC Engine Duo from eBay since prices for the Turbo CD attachment or Turbo Duos are redonkulously high there. Before I bid on it, I wanted to make sure I could play the current TG16 HuCard games on it somehow...which inadvertently lead me to this community.

I'm taking the IC mod route because it just look a lot more fun to do (I do have tech experience). I've already got parts for it in cue to order as soon as I get the PC Engine Duo, however, I still have a question for region modding.

I've read here that pin 29 does not need to be lifted from the board, at least on Duo R's and RX's, prior to grounding. Does that hold true for the standard Duo (black console)? Although I'm confident in my skills, if the route is easier, I'll do it.

Another question, TG16 related. I haven't been able to locate a pic for it, but is there a pic of an area on the TG16 board where I can get audio and video other than from the Expansion port pads? I've already done the A/V mod for my TG16, but I was planning on redoing the wiring and adding a cap to the video input.

Thanks all! This looks like a great community for PC Engine/Turbografx gamers!

Duo_R

Re: Region Modification for PC Engine Duo...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 08:39:36 PM »
Black PC engine duo needs pin lifting. Make sure you practice that.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:21:38 AM »
That's an interesting link. Its quite likely true, but you still have to solder to that point on the chip anyway, and it will be a lot easier with that leg lifted unless there is a nice place on the board where it connects to normally that can be soldered to.

Duo_R

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:50:56 AM »
If it was a R or RX don't lift just solder. Much easier. I know someone on here that broke the leg off (ouch) so be careful.    
Add my YouTube channel:

goombakid

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 07:01:32 PM »
I've got couple of dead mobos and consoles I can practice on.  :wink:

I also found this link that shows another IC region mod, but using a different kind of IC. Has anyone seen and/or made this region mod? I'm just curious since I mostly see the 2 IC region mod around.

BlueBMW

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 12:27:57 AM »
I haven't seen that mod around.  Looks a bit redundant if you ask me.  Its almost like it does the same thing twice...  I'll look it over some more and see what I can figure out.  But I can tell you that the 2 IC mod works great!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

goombakid

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 07:31:23 PM »
These are the IC's I'm looking at. Just double checking if these are the ones to get. Thanks.

Duo_R

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 07:48:16 PM »
8pdt is the way to go if space isn't an issue in my opinion.
Add my YouTube channel:

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 05:54:25 AM »
The mod using the '4066's is just an electronic 8PDT switch.  They're in pairs because each chip is only 4P.  So, you need two to make connection for the "normal" data bus, and two more to make connection to the "reversed" data bus.  The pairs are selected by the slide switch.

You also must realize, of course, that the '4066 and the '4551 not only have different pin-outs, but that they work differently also.  The '4066 is a set of off/on switches...the input either IS or IS NOT connected to the output.  The '4551 is a set of either/or switches...the input is EITHER connected to the first output, OR the second output.

Thus, you need 4 of the '4066, but only two of the '4551.

Charlie
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 06:08:27 AM by Charlie »

goombakid

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 02:28:47 PM »
The mod using the '4066's is just an electronic 8PDT switch.  They're in pairs because each chip is only 4P.  So, you need two to make connection for the "normal" data bus, and two more to make connection to the "reversed" data bus.  The pairs are selected by the slide switch.

You also must realize, of course, that the '4066 and the '4551 not only have different pin-outs, but that they work differently also.  The '4066 is a set of off/on switches...the input either IS or IS NOT connected to the output.  The '4551 is a set of either/or switches...the input is EITHER connected to the first output, OR the second output.

Charlie

I kinda figured it was something like that, like each 4066 is acts as 2 DPDT switches.

I'm thinking that I'd want to do the switch mod, but I have a fear of the switch malfunctioning or failing after x amount of clicks. I'm sure the IC mod has failure too. I may try both mods; maybe the switch one in my TG16 and the IC in my Duo.

Duo_R

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 08:25:11 PM »
I have had a switch in TG-16 and Duo for years and never seen one fail. I have seen a problem with some IC setups and TG-16 docked in CD's, so I stick to the 8pdt switch when possible.

Of course for my TE I am going to need to use the IC method.

Charlie

I kinda figured it was something like that, like each 4066 is acts as 2 DPDT switches.

I'm thinking that I'd want to do the switch mod, but I have a fear of the switch malfunctioning or failing after x amount of clicks. I'm sure the IC mod has failure too. I may try both mods; maybe the switch one in my TG16 and the IC in my Duo.
Add my YouTube channel:

beigemore

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Didn't want to start a new topic, but can someone point me to an image or walkthrough showing the hucard pins actually connected to an 8pdt switch?  I've done smaller projects with spdt's but nothing with 8 poles required for this.  I'm having a hard time imagining in my mind how the switch is flipping the 8 wires around.

goombakid

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 02:05:06 PM »
Didn't want to start a new topic, but can someone point me to an image or walkthrough showing the hucard pins actually connected to an 8pdt switch?  I've done smaller projects with spdt's but nothing with 8 poles required for this.  I'm having a hard time imagining in my mind how the switch is flipping the 8 wires around.

Here you go. I imagine it works as if you had 8 DPDT switches swaping all at once.

beigemore

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 02:11:12 PM »
Awesome, that is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!  :D

goombakid

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 03:32:56 PM »
No probs.

So next question: Anyone have pictures of their installs? Either switch or IC modded? I just want to get an idea of placement for either. If anyone has pics or links to pics, please share.