Author Topic: The Search for the turbo cd gear  (Read 2847 times)

kid_rondeau

Re: The Search for the turbo cd gear
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 01:55:13 PM »
Blue,
Yes, my spare is fully functional except for that if it's been idle for more than a week or two it needs to have the sled motor "jolted" with a 9V battery and the gears cleaned and lubed. Otherwise it kind of "sticks", and the sled motor can't move, so it gives the false impression that the CD player itself doesn't work.

I jolted and cleaned this one less than two weeks ago.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2010, 03:40:06 PM »
Um...I'd suggest not doing that!

Frank_fjs

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2010, 11:18:53 PM »
Right, you should hook the 9v battery up to your nipples and whilst shocking yourself, touch the sled motor with your tongue. Basic electronics 101.

Official Ninja

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2010, 12:47:22 AM »
I'd prefer a gear from a non-working unit only for the reason that should something go wrong, it didn't work anyway. Still, I haven't ruined anything making a mold of it in the past, and I don't see much of a problem.

I am very serious about molding this gear. No bull shit. So, if anyone wants to offer up a gear, PM me and I'll even give you my phone number so we can talk. I know when you talk to someone and know they are for real about it, it helps.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2010, 08:37:27 AM »
I only have a shattered one, and one I'm too paranoid to part with it (since it might very well shatter being removed). I know there are people here with TG-16 CDs or PCE CDROM2s that are dead for other reasons than the gears. Come on people!

chop5

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2010, 03:51:43 PM »
its working!
the first attempt i had that gear from the first pic and used wax and hot glue to center it but it was still off balance and when i plugged it in it spun the worm gear but made the laser go to the far left of the player and freeze there. So i reversed the wires and the laser moved in the right direction but the gear was still struggling because it wasn't centered right so one side would get stuck.
So i scrapped that gear and started to make another with a strong center that will stay center and grip the axle. All the gears i have have wide holes so i stuck another gear in there that fit and could slide down the axle.
Plugged it in and got same results with laser going to center so i reversed the wires and voila! Played tracks 1 thru 5 on this cd i have but the gear kept jamming every once and a while because its still not all the way center and is very thin and isn't gripping like it should. This was enough for me to know I'm making progress and should find the perfect gear to get best results.
I need a 13 or 12 mm diameter gear with a 1.5 or 1.7mm hole.
The search begins!

meanwhile my zombified tgcd craves brains!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:36:43 AM by chop5 »
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

Twood1130

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2010, 03:50:18 PM »
It looks like things are starting to look up for making gear replacements.

henrycsc

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2010, 04:18:04 PM »
BMW has one of my CD2's that he's trying to debug the warmup issue on.  If that can't be fully resolved, I'd be willing to offer the gear in that one for the mold, since I will want some of the replacement gears once they are ready  :).

BMW, do you mind removing the gear and packing it to send to Official Ninja to mold?

And Chop5, BRAVO on the developments to bypass the gears altogether.  If we can just find suitable gears to swap them all, that may be the best solution of all!  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

BlueBMW

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2010, 03:43:18 AM »
Up to you Henry.  Ill do whatever you want with the cdrom2. 

If we decide to remove the gear... does anyone have any tips for removing the gear without destroying it.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

chop5

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2010, 09:53:21 AM »
After spending most of the night tweaking trying to make it work better without the skipping i came to the conclusion its a failure.
With more stability to a smaller(12mm) gear that doesn't fit the shaft and lube it preforemed way better than the second test but still 4 or 5 songs later it would skip a bit. I thought it was from the gear still not centered or wobbly but its darn near perfect so i examined it More closely and found out that the original middle gear had another function,holding down the sled gear that moves the laser. With my second gear the sled gear would bob up and down a bit causing it to skip. I needed something to hold it firmly down like the original gear did. The pressure it gives when it bobs is very high and may be the culprit why the second gear shattered over time from the stress of that gear pushing on it.
I tried tape,that small piece of metal thats originally on it slightly bent to keep it in place but cannot have the metal and screw on there at the same time or my replacement gear wont have enough clearance. Tried and thought of everything with no dice other than drilling holes and anchoring it down. Thats when i knew this is no longer the easy fix i had hoped so that ends it.
It shall remain a zombie.
On to my next possible fix a belt drive like in that other pic i showed.

Theres a chance my gear may still work. If when playing a game and it skips like that would the console refind the position and wont harm gameplay? I cant find out as i have no base.(looks for volunteer or shops around for a base)If it completely crashed the game or goes back to its place may be as good as it gets.

To make a good mold for the second gear it would have to be like those bullet molds 2 piece so someone can pour hot plastic in there as needed. :wink:

But still im a bad mofo for zombifying a tgcd and finding the cause why it skips  :twisted:
Screw jailbreak and unbricking terms,the new one is zombified!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:59:07 AM by chop5 »
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

nat

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2010, 01:32:22 PM »

Theres a chance my gear may still work. If when playing a game and it skips like that would the console refind the position and wont harm gameplay? I cant find out as i have no base.(looks for volunteer or shops around for a base)If it completely crashed the game or goes back to its place may be as good as it gets.

If it skips while reading/loading data, it will retry and retry a certain number of times until it's successful (or it gives up). If it skips while playing CD audio (in-game music), it will just stop playing the music altogether without retrying and the disc will spin down until it's told to either load more or play a different music track.

BlackandBlue

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2010, 02:15:47 PM »
Up to you Henry.  Ill do whatever you want with the cdrom2. 

If we decide to remove the gear... does anyone have any tips for removing the gear without destroying it.

Use very small tweezers to pull the c-clip out (its made of thin metal, not much resistance).  Then wedge something (perhaps the tweezers?) and slowly work the gear off the pin.  I have a pair of blue snips from snapon (I think they are bluepoint) that I used to do the steps with.
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

BlueBMW

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2010, 11:36:03 PM »
Ok!  Henrycsc has very generously offered the good gear out of his semi-functional frankenrom2 unit that I have in my possession!  So everyone cross everything you've got (eyes, nuts, fingers, toes you name it)
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Official Ninja

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2010, 07:43:20 AM »
Ok!  Henrycsc has very generously offered the good gear out of his semi-functional frankenrom2 unit that I have in my possession!  So everyone cross everything you've got (eyes, nuts, fingers, toes you name it)

Thats great. :)

henrycsc

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2010, 09:04:16 AM »
Official Ninja, can you document the process as you go, just in case we ever have to replicate some other part?

BMW, I was lookin forward to calling the frankenrom2 "Othelloelloelloello"   :lol:
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.