Author Topic: The Search for the turbo cd gear  (Read 2838 times)

BlueBMW

Re: The Search for the turbo cd gear
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »
What is the warmup issue on TGCD? Is that a cap problem?

Not really sure honestly.  I've tried replacing caps on units that exibit this problem.  No change.   I even tried replacing the BA@$%$ chips (the big long black ones that get real hot during use)  and still nothing.  I also tried a new voltage regulator, still nothing.  Its strange :(
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Duo_R

« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2011, 01:12:59 PM »
So the system has to be on for like 10 minutes to work? That sounds awfully suspicious like a cap problem. Has all of the caps been swapped out?

Not really sure honestly.  I've tried replacing caps on units that exibit this problem.  No change.   I even tried replacing the BA@$%$ chips (the big long black ones that get real hot during use)  and still nothing.  I also tried a new voltage regulator, still nothing.  Its strange :(
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

BlueBMW

« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2011, 01:45:15 PM »
So the system has to be on for like 10 minutes to work? That sounds awfully suspicious like a cap problem. Has all of the caps been swapped out?

On the unit I was doing all these tests on, I changed out each and every cap.  Tested each new one before installing it, and tested all the old ones when I took them out.  No change :(  I'm calling it the rom rom plague plague.

Not really sure honestly.  I've tried replacing caps on units that exibit this problem.  No change.   I even tried replacing the BA@$%$ chips (the big long black ones that get real hot during use)  and still nothing.  I also tried a new voltage regulator, still nothing.  Its strange :(
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2011, 08:51:03 AM »
I wonder what this dude is using for "more reliable different style replacement" gears.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

henrycsc

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
It sounds like he's buying a "donor drive" to replace parts.  Probably just getting junk drives from Japan that have other issues.  Sometimes you see large lots of broken stuff available (but a lot of those could be bad too - hence his price).

I wonder what this dude is using for "more reliable different style replacement" gears.
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

BlueBMW

« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2011, 11:11:52 AM »
Isn't there that one NEC cdrom unit (the ones you and I looked at henry)  what is the CD-35 or something?  Maybe those are offering a donor gear.

henrycsc

« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2011, 12:24:19 PM »
They probably are - the NEC CDR-35D Drive, but I think they go for $40/each as well, and probably aren't too common these days either.

Isn't there that one NEC cdrom unit (the ones you and I looked at henry)  what is the CD-35 or something?  Maybe those are offering a donor gear.
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

BLADES OF STEAL

« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2011, 01:10:58 PM »
I'm intrested in what's causing the warm up issue as well. I also want to know if it's a problem that will eventually get worse and stop the unit from working.

nikdog

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2011, 12:31:45 AM »
My entire middle section is from a CDR-35D. The laser assembly mount holes on the orignal centre section are gone and the original gear was bad. So I just swapped out the centre.

Official Ninja

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2011, 12:49:55 AM »
I just sent that ebay seller this message:

My TG-CD drive is missing the yellowish middle gear. Also, it has a "warm up issue" where it won't start spinning and booting a disc until after it has been left turned on for a period of 30 mins or more! Can you fix my drive? Also what if you are unable to fix it? What is the time frame from when you get the drive to fix it and send it back?

I just might try him depending on how he answers.

nikdog

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2011, 12:51:35 AM »

My TG-CD drive is missing the yellowish middle gear. Also, it has a "warm up issue" where it won't start spinning and booting a disc until after it has been left turned on for a period of 30 mins or more! Can you fix my drive? Also what if you are unable to fix it? What is the time frame from when you get the drive to fix it and send it back?

I messaged him saying "What are you using for more reliable different style replacement gears?"

Official Ninja

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2011, 12:54:58 AM »

I messaged him saying "What are you using for more reliable different style replacement gears?"

We hope to have a bunch of replacement gears soon! Still waiting on supplies that should get to me today or tomorrow. Then next week the process begins.  :dance:

nikdog

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2011, 07:53:38 PM »
Dear nikdog05,

These are gears from many older sony discman cd
drives.

- cheapnicecomputers

Official Ninja

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2011, 03:38:08 AM »
Dear nikdog05,

These are gears from many older sony discman cd
drives.

- cheapnicecomputers

I'd like to know what model discman... I have d-11 and d-34 and they are not the same gears only the same laser.

Also his reply to me is that he can improve the warm up issue but not solve it.

Official Ninja

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2011, 12:45:02 AM »
Little update.

I got all the parts we needed to start molding. So, sometime this week we will start trying to copy this gear. I'll post back here with any success or failure.