Author Topic: Temperature controlled soldering station  (Read 300 times)

retrogamesuk

Temperature controlled soldering station
« on: November 17, 2010, 06:08:19 AM »
Although I wasn't too sure about my need for a good temperature controlled soldering station at first, I think I may have to bite the bullet and consider getting one with perhaps some other good extras equipment wise. I heard the Hakko 936 and the Weller Wes51 were good.

I did some research equipment wise. In terms of these soldering stations I think the closest place for these types of things is USA I think. I'm in the Uk. There are some over here but I don't know how good they are.

I'd be starting with fairly basic mods and then building up. This equipment may appear to be overkill perhaps at first but it could serve me in the future if I get to more difficult mods and the equipment if hopefully better may make my learning less painful.

I don't even know for 100% if you get an actual soldering iron with a soldering station. I think you do.

Thanks again and anything would be brilliant.

blueraven

Re: Temperature controlled soldering station
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 06:18:40 AM »
I use a Weller soldering iron with a fine-point tip. I have been for two years or so years when I started doing cap replacements and doing other electrical repairs. Some people on the forum use generic soldering irons. No problems here, just be careful on how heavy-handed you are on the traces so it doesn't get too hot.

[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Twood1130

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 09:33:34 AM »
I bought a radio shack digital soldering station for repairing video game consoles. It cost 80 dollars, and does everything i need it to.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 09:56:18 AM »
I bought a radio shack digital soldering station for repairing video game consoles. It cost 80 dollars, and does everything i need it to.

I've used that one. Its completely awesome.

I generally just use cheap $15 low wattage shit for my work, and its fine. Just don't linger too long and put too much heat into the sensitive components.

retrogamesuk: Equipment like this is nice, but its not necessary for this kind of work as long as you develop your skills. Also, I'm %100 positive you can find as good of a soldering iron as you'd ever need in the UK. Also, yes, you get an iron with a temp controlled soldering station. Its kind of mandatory for the "temp control" part.

retrogamesuk

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 12:47:27 AM »
Hi I'm sorry about the late reply. Here are a couple of links to what I found in the Uk. Both are main supply type places.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?MenuNo=69786

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...atchallpartial

They also sell the other stuff I was after but I don't really know if it's the right stuff or good enough etc. If anyone checked out the accessories / other stuff I was after on the sites that would be well cool and extremely appreciated. The second site is quite big so a search via the search bar is sometimes an idea.

Anything again would be really appreciated.

Duo_R

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:32:17 AM »
I would say start out with a basic and upgrade later if this catches on for you. I personally use a digital temp Weller.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq