Author Topic: Turbo Duo Laser Swap Guide  (Read 284 times)

chany60126

Turbo Duo Laser Swap Guide
« on: November 19, 2010, 04:48:54 PM »
Are there any detailed guides on here that show you how to replace a Hop-M3 laser on a Turbo Duo? I have one on the way, I just want to be prepared once I receive it. I consider myself ~ technologically impaired so pics would really help me out too if they are available.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:50:50 PM by chany60126 »
SignofZeta: What a quintessentially PCEFX thread. Someone complains about nothing, multiple Bible-length posts discussing who's a bigger a$$hole follow. You're both pretty big a$$holes. Let's call it a tie.

Duo_R

Re: Turbo Duo Laser Swap Guide
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 02:45:43 AM »
Here is a guide:

http://www.robotpanic.com/2008/07/turbo-duo-repair/

The only thing it doesn't tell you is how to adjust the pots for the laser. Is there a guide anywhere for that?
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

chany60126

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 03:01:09 AM »
Thanks for that guide Duo-R. This should help me out immensely!  :)

Is it always necessary to adjust the pots when you replace a laser? That is what really makes me nervous since they are very delicate. The problem I am having with my Duo is that I periodically get "Please Set Disc" error messages, and hear a bit of whistling as the system is trying to read games. Lately I hasn't been getting that message as games have starting a little more frequently, but whenever I play a cd based game, the game will often hang (freeze) in between levels, or when I die I have to start over again. I find that if I tilt the system when it freezes, it starts back up again.
SignofZeta: What a quintessentially PCEFX thread. Someone complains about nothing, multiple Bible-length posts discussing who's a bigger a$$hole follow. You're both pretty big a$$holes. Let's call it a tie.

Duo_R

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 03:08:58 AM »
pretty sure it is necessary, but you dont' want to just turn the pot screws, you need to have probably an o'scope. But hopefully someone can chime in here on this one since my 3 mint lasers are still in the box.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

BlackandBlue

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 09:14:33 AM »
pretty sure it is necessary, but you dont' want to just turn the pot screws, you need to have probably an o'scope. But hopefully someone can chime in here on this one since my 3 mint lasers are still in the box.

I just turn and pray :) 

I recently acquired an oscilloscope that I hope to use to adjust the laser properly.  Pew Pew
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

BlueBMW

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 12:58:17 PM »
I just turn and pray :) 

That's my method of choice :P

blueraven put together a pretty nice guide for changing out the laser in a Duo system.  My little "by ear" method for adjusting pots is in there, although I offer no warranty with it :P
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc