Author Topic: Corrupted TG-CD memory?  (Read 757 times)

nikdog

Re: Corrupted TG-CD memory?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 05:57:12 AM »
It's tough to explain my problem with the memory. It's not like it can't save files...it can, so long as it's a chip game. The problem is only with CD games that allow you to save/load files at will (like Ys, or Dynastic Hero). Those games start OK, but once you get to a point where you'd normally be able to save the first time, the screen will not load at all.

So wait... You can use Turbochip save/load no problem?

kid_rondeau

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 06:02:09 AM »
That's correct. I can save on chip games that allow you to save your progress (like Neutopia or Dragon's Curse), as well as chip games that automatically save your high score (like Soldier Blade). I can also play CD games with no save feature (like LoT). The problem, as I've experienced it, only comes with "save-at-will" CD games.

FWIW, on any CD game I play on that dock, there tend to be very minor graphical glitches. For example, during the armor selection screen on LoT, the flames on the torches in the background are all garbage-y. In all other ways the game plays fine though.

nat

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 08:12:02 AM »
That sounds suspiciously like a System Card that is not seated properly, has dirty contacts, or is beginning to go bad (not that I've ever seen the latter). I have problems like this with Sapphire if the Arcade Card isn't seated perfectly.

nikdog

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 08:16:38 AM »
Do you loose all your saves after a full power cycle (dock power switch off)?
Do you know if the memory is full? I don't know if that would do anything weird but it is worth a check. (Vasteel 2 has a built in memory manager that will actually tell you how many blocks are free and being used, but it requires a SCD card.)

It seems to me that this is probably a problem with the TG16-CD interface.
Edit:Or this:
That sounds suspiciously like a System Card that is not seated properly, has dirty contacts, or is beginning to go bad (not that I've ever seen the latter). I have problems like this with Sapphire if the Arcade Card isn't seated perfectly.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:19:11 AM by nikdog »

kid_rondeau

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 03:13:03 AM »
Hey guys, to address your thoughts:
-I don't lose my save files with the system off. I actually just tested it now, and the save files I made on 11/30 are still there. I haven't used it since then.
-The memory's not full...I've formatted it several times.
-I don't think the SSC 3.0 is at fault; the save issues and graphical screw-ups still happen with the regular System Card 2.0 and the Arcade Card Pro.

Another thing I wanted to try is a CD game with automatic saving after each level (like Valis III). As I expected, the game loads OK, then all the cut scenes play, but the game locks up before the last cut scene that precedes the first playable level.

Hopefully when I finally have time to open the dock and poke around something obvious will pop out, but probably not. I'll start with replacing the supercap (which I would give only a 10-15% chance of fixing the problem) since it's a cheap and easy solution. But not until after the holidays...I'm swamped!

Thanks again for all your suggestions, thoughts and perspectives. I welcome them. If this is "a thing", then I'm probably not the only one who's had or will have this problem. It would be nice to have some data about it.

nat

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 07:46:37 AM »
Here's the deal: the BRAM has absolutely nothing (zip, zilch, ZERO) to do with in-game graphics. A bad BRAM supercap *might* cause the saving issues you're describing, but would definitely *not* cause graphical glitches you describe playing CD games.

Let's look at the facts: the save issue/game freeze issue only happens with CD games. The in-game graphical glitches only happen with CD games. The issues happen regardless of System Card used. Bottom line: the issues at hand only affect CD games.

I'd bet my next paycheck the 64K DRAM that the CD interface dock uses for a sort of "work RAM" is bad, or at the very least a nearby cap has leaked electrolytic goo onto its legs. This 64K DRAM is used by all CD games regardless of System Card and is NEVER used by cartridge-based games. It also has nothing to do with your save game BRAM, but it's quite possible the system might use this 64K space to "prepare" the save file for CD games before actually copying it over to the BRAM.

IMO, and you can take this as you will, you are wasting your time chasing ghosts looking for something in the BRAM circuit.

kid_rondeau

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 08:54:55 AM »
Nat, thanks again for your input.
I don't know what the B in BRAM means...nor can I find any reference to it in a 20-second Google/Wikipedia search...but as I've said before I know just a little more than diddly squat about how anything saves a file anywhere.

I also wanted to clarify that I never once, even for a second, thought that bad save memory/RAM was causing the graphical glitches. In fact, the glitching was very much a secondary concern that I only noted because it was seen concurrently with my save issues.

When I eventually do open the case, I will look for an obvious visual defect (a leaking cap, as you've suggested) in that neighborhood. Do you know where this DRAM might be? Could it be in Nikdog's pictures?

As always, further comments/advice are welcome, and I'll keep you all posted on my findings.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 10:40:41 AM »
Quote from: kid_rondeau
I also wanted to clarify that I never once, even for a second, thought that bad save memory/RAM was causing the graphical glitches. In fact, the glitching was very much a secondary concern that I only noted because it was seen concurrently with my save issues.

Yes, but one of the main tools in any diagnosis of anything is to find all the flaws and see if anything could tie them together. In this case...graphical glitches in only CD games + saving glitches in CD-only games...what do these things have in common? The 64K of RAM in the CD base (or something very close to it).

Its not a common problem, but it is the most likely at this point.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 02:12:29 AM »
I don't know what the B in BRAM means

B is for Block.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MottZilla

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 07:25:48 AM »
Block RAM? I would think the PC Engine uses Parallel RAM which is either going to be SRAM (Static RAM) or DRAM (which requires support circuitry to refresh its contents). Block type access would be way too slow and wouldn't work for program execution on the PCE. Sometimes people say BRAM as in Backup RAM. Which is similar to how many people think of emulators and SRAM means Save RAM.

Either way I'd think the first step would be to open it up and visually inspect the board and components for damage or shorts. If nothing is obvious then maybe you need to look around for the RAM chip or chips for closer examination. Also is it possible that the Expansion connector is dirty or has bent or bad pins? Since the Super System Card connects from the HuCard port and the RAM in the CD unit is connected by the expansion port maybe that has something to do with it? Worth looking at I think.

nat

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 01:06:01 PM »
In this application, BRAM is meant indicate Backup RAM to differentiate it from the system's work RAM (DRAM) and VRAM (video RAM).