Author Topic: Turbografx 16 Newspaper Giveaway Contest  (Read 751 times)

Pat the NES Punk

Turbografx 16 Newspaper Giveaway Contest
« on: November 29, 2010, 06:55:02 PM »
It was early fall of 1990, I believe. The syndicated NJ newspaper, The Star Ledger, had a contest I believe being held by NEC themselves. They took out an ad in the comics section (I believe it was the bottom of the 3rd page), where they asked gamers several questions related to both NES and Turbografx games. Children/adults were asked to fill in answers to the multiple-choice questions, clip out the ad, and then mail it in to potentially win a prize... the biggest prize being a Turbografx 16 system and a copy of Bloody Wolf.

Some of the questions included:

1) What is Bonk?
2) At the end of Double Dragon, where is the plant located in the room?
3) A random Super Mario question
4) There were a few others (trying to remember)

I filled out the questionnaire, filled in my contact information, and had my parents mail it out. Unbeknown to me, a couple of months later, it turns out that whomever was holding the contest mailed them back a notice indicating that I had won something, and was asking for a notarized response. My parents sent it back. A couple of weeks before Christmas: BAM, in the mail arrived the boxed system and Bloody Wolf game. My parents debated whether or not to give it to me before Christmas, but finally decided that it would be better as an early Christmas present. I was happy, to say the least upon seeing it in its beat up box.

So that's my strange story of how I acquired the Turbografx 16 as a kid. Does anyone else remember this specific contest or something similar in their own area? It would be nice to track down information or even somehow get an image of the original ad for the contest. :)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Turbografx 16 Newspaper Giveaway Contest
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 01:49:33 AM »
Neato story, though your parents would've been giant tools had they withheld a prize that you earned yourself.  I don't remember any similar giveaways here, but then again, I live in Nebraska where there's nothing but cows, corn, and Conestoga wagons.  The closest I can come was when a mall ran a promotion in '90 where you could turn in your receipts from the day and they'd draw out a few winners that would get a check back to cover the cost of everything they bought that day; lucky me - free Cosmo Tank!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

finerion

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 03:23:14 AM »
Really cool story. I don't recall anyone running an ad like that growing up, but then again there was not a lot of TG penetration in rural areas.
Systems Owned:  Amiga, Atari 2600/Lynx, Wonderswan Color, Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance/SP, Game Gear, N64, NES, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Nintendo DS/DSiXL, Panasonic 3DO, PS 1/2 Slim, Master System, Genesis 1/2, Sega CD 2, Saturn, SNES/SF, TG16, Wii, XBox/360

Check out new episodes of The Alfred Effect

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 05:13:41 AM »
Really cool story. I don't recall anyone running an ad like that growing up, but then again there was not a lot of TG penetration in rural areas.

Turbo Penetration. 

Sounds intense.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

TheClash603

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 11:19:21 AM »
I won a Street Fighter IV competition and got a headband.

You kick my ass.

Lilgrafx

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
I was pretty young when the TG16 was out so I never saw anything like this.

PS:Pat the nes punk is a great show

turbogrfxfan

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 12:33:42 PM »
yeah Im from beautiful central jersey myself but I never seen that in the star ledger.  I think my dad was reading USA TODAY.
I did have a tg16 promo vcr tape though

I like ur show man.  where in Jersey u from?
"is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Pat the NES Punk

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »
yeah Im from beautiful central jersey myself but I never seen that in the star ledger.  I think my dad was reading USA TODAY.

Thanks.

I was from Woodbridge Township. :)

chany60126

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 01:53:44 AM »
Hey Pat, I know you like to review mostly NES games on your channel. Is there any chance you could a review of some turbob/pce games in the future?  :D

Your review style is so unique and entertaining. The skits you do mid-review are great, especially the one you did for the Panic Restaurant review. Keep up the good work.  :)
SignofZeta: What a quintessentially PCEFX thread. Someone complains about nothing, multiple Bible-length posts discussing who's a bigger a$$hole follow. You're both pretty big a$$holes. Let's call it a tie.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 04:27:21 AM »
I remember the "Name the new Bonk" contest that was national and advertised in various magazines. The winning name was Air Zonk which is how the game got its title.

Added in edit: The prize was a US Duo and some games if I recall correctly.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:42:30 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 05:44:28 AM »
Hey Pat! Great to see you here! I am Matt Turner from your Facebook friends list, and mathius78 on You-Tube. We've chatted a few times here and there. Welcome aboard my friend! :)
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

bartre

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 07:31:22 PM »
Neato story, though your parents would've been giant tools had they withheld a prize that you earned yourself.  I don't remember any similar giveaways here, but then again, I live in Nebraska where there's nothing but cows, corn, and Conestoga wagons.  The closest I can come was when a mall ran a promotion in '90 where you could turn in your receipts from the day and they'd draw out a few winners that would get a check back to cover the cost of everything they bought that day; lucky me - free Cosmo Tank!

no way, I'm here in the NE as well!
whereabouts you at? I'm right on the border between NE and IA.

Pat the NES Punk

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 03:57:42 AM »
Hey Pat! Great to see you here! I am Matt Turner from your Facebook friends list, and mathius78 on You-Tube. We've chatted a few times here and there. Welcome aboard my friend! :)

Cool, Matt. Great to see you here!

Pat the NES Punk

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 03:58:14 AM »
Hey Pat, I know you like to review mostly NES games on your channel. Is there any chance you could a review of some turbob/pce games in the future?  :D

Your review style is so unique and entertaining. The skits you do mid-review are great, especially the one you did for the Panic Restaurant review. Keep up the good work.  :)

Thanks, Chany. Hmmm... Turbografx reviews? ;)

turbogrfxfan

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 04:18:19 AM »

Thanks.

I was from Woodbridge Township. :)

thats funny.  Im in Perth Amboy.

yeah ya gotta do turbo reviews
"is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"