Author Topic: Games that require "PCE Mode" on the SGX  (Read 233 times)

nat

Games that require "PCE Mode" on the SGX
« on: December 05, 2010, 03:00:14 PM »
For years I thought the PCE compatibility switch on the SuperGrafx served no purpose other than to disable SuperGrafx games from playing properly. Basically, a useless feature. The other day I discovered the first game that doesn't play right unless you have the switch set to PCE mode: Darius 2. I'd like to keep a list here of all the games that require this switch to be set and what the issues are if it is not. I'm curious how many games out there require it. It doesn't seem like there are many.

Darius 2 - Graphical artifacts in the lower right hand corner of the screen during most levels. Video cuts out completely during the boss fight with "LEADAIN." The only way to recover from this is to power cycle the system.

Tadaima Yusha Boshuuchuu - No video at all.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 05:35:55 PM by nat »

nectarsis

Re: Games that require "PCE Mode" on the SGX
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »
Tadaima Yusha Boshuuchuu will load sound/music, but no visuals unless in the PCE mode.

Which boss is "LEADAIN"?
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 04:55:28 PM »
STICKY THE THREAD FOR GRAET JUSTICE.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

nat

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 05:36:42 PM »

Which boss is "LEADAIN"?

The sea urchin-looking thing during an underwater Earth stage.

shubibiman

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 08:39:43 PM »
Wow! I didn't think there would be that issue with CD games too!
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 02:16:05 AM »
Just out of curiosity, does it matter which system card is used or does it act the same regardless?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 04:55:36 PM »
Just out of curiosity, does it matter which system card is used or does it act the same regardless?

That's a good question. I used the Arcade Card, which is the only system card I ever use playing CD games on the SuperGrafx. I have a System 3.0 card, however, I might give it a try some time and see if the results are the same. I imagine they would be, however: from what I read about the switch's functionality, it apparently just toggles mirroring of the system's VRAM on and off. Since the SGX has a second VDC, it has twice the VRAM of a Core or Duo. That said, the VRAM is part of the console's logic board and isn't affected by System Cards. The System Cards add DRAM for the CD-ROM to use, which is separate from VRAM and isn't affected by the switch.