Author Topic: Gradius II  (Read 984 times)

KingDrool

Gradius II
« on: August 12, 2005, 03:32:28 AM »
So how is this game on the PC Engine Duo?  I just ordered it from Japan Game Stock, but have never played it before.

How does it compare to the other versions and other games in the series?

Thanks.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

esteban

Gradius II
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 12:45:11 PM »
Gradius II SCD is one of my faves. Only fans of the series will really dig it, I reckon, because it's a tough game that is unforgiving at times (I choke on the last boss to this day-- but do you know how long it took me to get good enough to get to the last boss?).  It's tough.  But the the attention to detail and overall production value is quite high. You'll say to yourself, "Oh crap, too bad Konami didn't start developing / porting for the PCE sooner."  

The Redbook audio soundtrack is nice, as well.

I own the Famicom Gradius II cart as well. I haven't invested much time in it, but it certainly is not the same as the SCD: bosses and levels have been changed. Regardless, from what I've played, the Famicom game is awesome and really deserves some love (I'm just too busy).

If you have the TG-CD console, do yourself a favor and boot Gradius II using the original system card. You'll get a wonderful error message!  Further evidence of how much love and attention to detail went into this release.

I haven't played much of the arcade Gradius II, but from what I've seen, the SCD seems faithful. Even if it isn't faithful, though, the SCD is just a damn fine game.

disclaimer -- I haven't played any gradius game that was released beyond the early 90's... just so you know my frame of reference.
  |    | 

Keranu

Gradius II
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 02:41:35 PM »
From what I've read (never played this game, buy dying to), the PCE SCD is the best version around; better than all the other home ports and even better than the arcade. This is because the game is supposed to have cool redone CD tracks and extra levels that weren't featured in any versions. I almost bought this game last month, shoulda got it...
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

akamichi

Gradius II
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 03:36:12 PM »
Gradius II is one of my most favorite shooters on PCE.  It's a very good port of the arcade version.  I'd even say that it may be one of the best arcade conversions that the PCE as ever had.

I love the music and it seems to have been recorded straight from the arcade board.  No remixes.  All the miscellanous voice samples are also in the game too.  Konami really did a good job with this game.

There's one extra stage in this version which is a nice extra.  If I'm not mistaken, you can choose to turn it off if you want.  There's also a hidden mode called AC.Mode (no mystery there) which disables the pause button and turns off the extra stage for the perfect arcade feeling.  I have yet to beat the game with this setting.  I think the difficultly might be harder than non AC.Mode even though it's selectable.

Although Konami didn't release that many PCE games, I wished they would have done Gradius III and like a ton of their other games.  I would have like to seen a SCD version of Parodius and Salamander too.

Keranu

Gradius II
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 07:27:00 PM »
I've heard from Michael here on the boards that the PCE version of Salamander has less levels than the NES version? Does the PCE version of Salamander have less levels than the original arcade version or does the NES version just have more levels? Overall I prefer the NES version over the arcade and PCE versions. The NES is such a wonderful console because usually when it gets a port of the game, it ends up actually being better than the others! :D
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ParanoiaDragon

Gradius II
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 01:53:18 PM »
I personally haven't been able to get very far in Salamander on the PCE, if I could find a 30 ship code, like in Life Force, that'd be a different story.  I think I've made it to maybe the 3rd level in Salamander.  In all honesty, Salamander could've been better on the Turbo.  I think it's only a 2 meg card, they could've bumped it up to whatever they needed, & I think it would've been near arcade perfect, with the paralax, music, & all.  With the exception maybe of flicker that might've been added with paralax in there, I would assume that could potentially give it some flicker &/or slowdown, since it's means adding extra tiles or sprites, depending on what technique they would decide to use.  Atleast....I think it means adding, but I'm no programmer, so....take what I said with a grain of salt.

Shompola

Gradius II
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 12:28:22 AM »
Haven't played PCE Salamander that much, but it is definitely different than the NES version, and the music while the same is slightly rearranged if I remember it correctly and some sound effects were either added onto the NES version or missing in the PCE version compared to arcade version as the PCE one is definitely missing some compared to NES version. I think it is well worth gettting it though even if you have the NES version. Wich version is the closest to the arcade version I do not know, haven't played the arcade one.

zborgerd

Gradius II
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 02:58:29 PM »
It probably doesn't help that when you die, you start off at the begining of the sector instead of appearing where you left off.  However, it is possible to get quite far after a lot of play.  It's also very rewarding to do so.

Still, I was able to get much further on Life-Force with limited lives, and it was (overall) more enjoyable in many respects.  There was just something about the way that game was designed.  The NES game sounded great as well.  Konami was always good at making those NES games sound superb.  Heck...  They've always made great music for all of their games.  I think that several of their games (like the US release of Castlevania) included an additional sound chip inside the cart, which produced much beefier tunes.  I wonder if Life Force was one such game as well?

Keranu

Gradius II
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 03:22:20 PM »
I didn't even know Ultra/Konami did that back then. Thanks for the info!

esteban

Gradius II
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 09:39:46 PM »
Quote from: "zborgerd"
I think that several of their games (like the US release of Castlevania) included an additional sound chip inside the cart, which produced much beefier tunes.  I wonder if Life Force was one such game as well?
See, now I am thinking that it was the other way around (the Japanese got the the special sound, which was stripped from the NES version).  Ahhhh, brain no longer functions.
  |    | 

zborgerd

Gradius II
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 03:22:16 AM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
I think that several of their games (like the US release of Castlevania) included an additional sound chip inside the cart, which produced much beefier tunes.  I wonder if Life Force was one such game as well?
See, now I am thinking that it was the other way around (the Japanese got the the special sound, which was stripped from the NES version).  Ahhhh, brain no longer functions.

Well, that is the case for Castlevania 3.  It was the opposite for Castlevania 2 though.  I'm not sure why they did it one way and not the other.  I think that the original Castlevania 2 was for the Famicom Disk system, and the US release gained the added audio channel.  The Japanese cart release of Castlevania 3, however, gained a Konami sound chip (The VRC6 or something).

esteban

Gradius II
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 05:44:39 AM »
Quote from: "stevek666"

Well, that is the case for Castlevania 3.  It was the opposite for Castlevania 2 though.  I'm not sure why they did it one way and not the other.  I think that the original Castlevania 2 was for the Famicom Disk system, and the US release gained the added audio channel.  The Japanese cart release of Castlevania 3, however, gained a Konami sound chip (The VRC6 or something).
Well, that explains it :). Now, I also remember something about a Nintendo game having gained / lost some sound when going from JP to NA (probably another Famicom Disk game... like Zelda or Metroid or something).
  |    | 

TR0N

Gradius II
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 04:38:12 PM »
I've played Gradius II Gofer befor on my copy of Gradius Deluxe pack for my Saturn.

My question is it worth having for the, PCE since it's supose to have a bonus level?

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ParanoiaDragon

Gradius II
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 05:58:37 PM »
Does it have a bonus level?  I can't remember.  I can't remember how far I've gotten in the game, not very far, I can assure you.  If you have the money, by all means pick it up.  It doesn't require the high price it used to, so it's quite a bit cheaper these days.

TR0N

Gradius II
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 12:49:44 PM »
Quote from: "ParanoiaDragon"
Does it have a bonus level?  I can't remember.  I can't remember how far I've gotten in the game, not very far, I can assure you.  If you have the money, by all means pick it up.  It doesn't require the high price it used to, so it's quite a bit cheaper these days.

The review here mention it does that's why i'm asking.

http://www.geocities.com/pcecdrom/reviews/gr2.htm

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec