Author Topic: Gradius II  (Read 982 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Gradius II
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 02:13:57 PM »
Interesting.  I know the music is ripped straight from the original source.  I guess that means they added a new song?

Kiken

Gradius II
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2005, 05:11:49 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I've heard from Michael here on the boards that the PCE version of Salamander has less levels than the NES version? Does the PCE version of Salamander have less levels than the original arcade version or does the NES version just have more levels? Overall I prefer the NES version over the arcade and PCE versions. The NES is such a wonderful console because usually when it gets a port of the game, it ends up actually being better than the others! :D

The Famicon/NES version of Salamander/Life Force has 6 stages.  The PC-Engine Hu-Card of Salamander also has 6 stages.

However, the FC/NES game has an altered level order, plus two of the arcade-original stages (levels 2 and 5, both of the asteroid levels) were removed and replaced with new ones (the side-scrolling Egyptian level and the vertically scrolling inner-body level).  Then there's the whole change of the power-up system from the predetermined power-ups of the arcade to the Gradius-esque "purchase your power-ups" system.  One final note, in the FC version of Salamander you can activate up to 3 Options; in the NES version, you can only activate 2.

The PC-Engine Hu-Card of Salamander is very close to the original arcade PCB (which I have played) as well as Salamander on the Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus for PlayStation and Saturn (obviously since it's the arcade game).  The primary difference is that the PC-Engine version doesn't have instant-respawn in single player (it's still in 2-player though) and you can not hit a boss' baricades or core unit until they become "active" (this removes much of the instant Option-Raping that was possible in the arcade version).

It should be noted though that I find the check-point system of play preferable in Salamander because of it's power-up system.  Once you respawn, you normally have a chance to collect a Speed-Up, Missiles (at least level 1 missiles) and an Option or two.  This combined with the drop in rank due to power-down/death results in a more balanced game (it's much easier to recover).

I did make a video of myself playing through the first loop of Beginner in a single credit (although it's not the greatest replay as I died twice, once at the Stage 4 boss and once half-way through Stage 6) some time back, but it was more intended to show a friend the game.  More recently I've been working on playing through Expert in a single life.  Once I nail that, I'll be sure to post a link to the video here.

The farthest I've managed to get in a single credit in the Hu-Card total is:
Beginner Loop 3 Stage 1
Expert Loop 2 Stage 5

KingDrool

Gradius II
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2005, 06:55:55 AM »
Have you guys heard that they're releasing a Gradius compilation for the PSP in February in Japan?  It includes Gradius 1, 2, 3, 4, and Gaiden. Cool, eh?
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Kiken

Gradius II
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2005, 09:56:32 AM »
Quote from: "jlued686"
Have you guys heard that they're releasing a Gradius compilation for the PSP in February in Japan?  It includes Gradius 1, 2, 3, 4, and Gaiden. Cool, eh?

Yes.  Gradius and Gradius II will include the "wide screen" option from the PlayStation/Saturn Gradius Deluxe Pack.  The disc will also contain music from many of the games and remastered cinemas from Gradius Deluxe Pack, Gradius III & IV, and Gradius Gaiden.

esteban

Gradius II
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2005, 10:36:39 AM »
Quote from: "Kiken"
Quote from: "Keranu"
I've heard from Michael here on the boards that the PCE version of Salamander has less levels than the NES version? Does the PCE version of Salamander have less levels than the original arcade version or does the NES version just have more levels? Overall I prefer the NES version over the arcade and PCE versions. The NES is such a wonderful console because usually when it gets a port of the game, it ends up actually being better than the others! :D

The Famicon/NES version of Salamander/Life Force has 6 stages.  The PC-Engine Hu-Card of Salamander also has 6 stages.

However, the FC/NES game has an altered level order, plus two of the arcade-original stages (levels 2 and 5, both of the asteroid levels) were removed and replaced with new ones (the side-scrolling Egyptian level and the vertically scrolling inner-body level).  Then there's the whole change of the power-up system from the predetermined power-ups of the arcade to the Gradius-esque "purchase your power-ups" system.  One final note, in the FC version of Salamander you can activate up to 3 Options; in the NES version, you can only activate 2.

The PC-Engine Hu-Card of Salamander is very close to the original arcade PCB (which I have played) as well as Salamander on the Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus for PlayStation and Saturn (obviously since it's the arcade game).  The primary difference is that the PC-Engine version doesn't have instant-respawn in single player (it's still in 2-player though) and you can not hit a boss' baricades or core unit until they become "active" (this removes much of the instant Option-Raping that was possible in the arcade version).

It should be noted though that I find the check-point system of play preferable in Salamander because of it's power-up system.  Once you respawn, you normally have a chance to collect a Speed-Up, Missiles (at least level 1 missiles) and an Option or two.  This combined with the drop in rank due to power-down/death results in a more balanced game (it's much easier to recover).

I did make a video of myself playing through the first loop of Beginner in a single credit (although it's not the greatest replay as I died twice, once at the Stage 4 boss and once half-way through Stage 6) some time back, but it was more intended to show a friend the game.  More recently I've been working on playing through Expert in a single life.  Once I nail that, I'll be sure to post a link to the video here.

The farthest I've managed to get in a single credit in the Hu-Card total is:
Beginner Loop 3 Stage 1
Expert Loop 2 Stage 5
rock on, thank you for pointing out the distinctions between the different versions. Lots of folks here appreciate stuff like this :)
  |    | 

Keranu

Gradius II
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2005, 02:05:47 PM »
Thanks for the info; detailed and structured!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Digi.k

Gradius II
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 02:11:01 AM »
The pc engine's port of Salamander is very hard... probably to the point of frustration even on level one and that is much harder than the arcade >__< ...  I'd wish they kepted the sampled voices in there as well as the continued spawn point when you die.. Still.. Salamander has some great music which I think is classic Konami.  Salamander can get very intense and I feel my blood boil when I die...  Its more on both luck and skill and you definitely need to use the autofire on this..

I don't remember much about the PC Engine's Gradius II but I do remember it having a new opening intro as well as this nifty sticker sheet which I've still kepted all these years ^___^.

esteban

Gradius II
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 04:32:06 AM »
Crap, I never got stickers with my copy of Gradius II.
  |    | 

rolins

Gradius II
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 06:32:52 AM »
Cool. I want that image of the b/w Vic Viper on the back of my t-shirt or my book bag. That would look awesome.

pixeljunkie

Gradius II
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2006, 07:33:15 AM »
its a tough-ass game. But as mentioned, great production value. Very glad I own this one

Ninja Spirit

Gradius II
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2006, 11:45:33 AM »
I was kinda disappointed the PC Engine version didn't have this tune:
http://media.putfile.com/Lifeforce-5-45

And yeah I found this version to be tough because of the fast scrolling.

I missed out on the arcade game so I'm not sure if it was in that version or not.

rolins

Gradius II
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2006, 02:14:42 PM »
One bit that I hate about all salamander games is having to go thru the wall of meat. An area in the first stage requires you to create a path thru them by shooting at it, and you have to escape before the wall of meat consumes you. When I first played salamander (pce) the meat gobbled me up right before reaching the first guardian.

Keranu

Gradius II
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2006, 03:45:21 PM »
I kind of dig the meat gobbling myself 8) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Digi.k

Gradius II
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2006, 12:39:22 AM »
Quote from: "rolins"
One bit that I hate about all salamander games is having to go thru the wall of meat. An area in the first stage requires you to create a path thru them by shooting at it, and you have to escape before the wall of meat consumes you. When I first played salamander (pce) the meat gobbled me up right before reaching the first guardian.

Ya!   :x   That bit is much harder than the arcade... Even the arcade version is hard and you have to pound those fire buttons but still on the PCE version I can only do it with the autofire on  :shock:

You should try salamander on MAME so you be able to make a clear comparison.  I'm currently playing the PCE version on Magic Engine and I'm started to warm to it even though I was originally dissappointed with this back in 1991/92 ?.. so I think im gonna hunt down the HUcard later this year.. but it does make my blood boil.. probably one of THE hardest and intense shooters on the PCE..

And that NES soundtrack is awesome ^__^

lkermel

Gradius II
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 12:56:02 PM »
Gradius II for the PC Engine rocks ! And yes, it has an extra 6th stage !

For anyone interested to see the whole game (stop reading now if you do not want it spoiled), I have here a complete visit of it with more than 300 screen shots, from beginning to end:

Mr Spoiler : GRADIUS 2