Author Topic: Wonderboy Series  (Read 17410 times)

lukester

Re: Wonderboy Series
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2013, 12:53:33 PM »
Am I the only one who has the coastal music from Dragon's Curse stuck in their head?

Side Crawler's Dance!!

MrPoppy

« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2014, 04:35:39 AM »
Any kind of language barrier in the Japanese version of Monster Lair? I'm making a run through the Wonder Boy games and that is next - but it looks like the import version is a lot easier and cheaper to obtain than the American.
Looking for:
US Legendary Axe case and manual
US Ninja Spirit case and manual
US Pac-Land manual

Mathius

« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2014, 05:24:08 AM »
Any kind of language barrier in the Japanese version of Monster Lair? I'm making a run through the Wonder Boy games and that is next - but it looks like the import version is a lot easier and cheaper to obtain than the American.

It's a straight run n' gunner. No Japanese text skillz needed. :)
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

GohanX

« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2014, 07:57:19 AM »
I don't recall that have even having any text outside of the title screen.

Tatsujin

« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
yeah no text except title, between levels screen and ending (and mostly english too).
it's 120% arcade action pure. forget the wimpy MD port, PCE is where it's at!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

MrPoppy

« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2014, 03:34:35 PM »
Perfect. Like I said I'll probably go for import version of Monster Lair. But I'll insist on the US versions of Dragon's Curse and Dynastic Hero.
Looking for:
US Pac-Land manual

Mathius

« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2014, 03:47:28 PM »
Perfect. Like I said I'll probably go for import version of Monster Lair. But I'll insist on the US versions of Dragon's Curse and Dynastic Hero.

Dynastic Hero is hella expensive. eBay has killed the "everyman's" chance of getting that SCD. Your best options are to either emulate it, buy the much less expensive Japanese version, or do what I do and play it on the Wii Virtual Console. You can play the same game on the Genesis also. It's known as Monster World.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Black Tiger

« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2014, 04:20:12 PM »
I don't recall that have even having any text outside of the title screen.

I believe that the Turbo version dropped "Wonderboy III" from the title screen.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

MrPoppy

« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »

Dynastic Hero is hella expensive. eBay has killed the "everyman's" chance of getting that SCD. Your best options are to either emulate it, buy the much less expensive Japanese version, or do what I do and play it on the Wii Virtual Console. You can play the same game on the Genesis also. It's known as Monster World.

That's kind of what I've gathered. On that note, what's the language barrier like on those latter two games? I've actually beaten Dragon's Curse years ago but I can't remember how essential the English translation was. Seems like that's not any easier to find than Dynastic Hero.

Ideally, I would get physical copies of these. I've done the emulation thing in the past but looking for the real deal now.
Looking for:
US Pac-Land manual

Black Tiger

« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »

That's kind of what I've gathered. On that note, what's the language barrier like on those latter two games? I've actually beaten Dragon's Curse years ago but I can't remember how essential the English translation was. Seems like that's not any easier to find than Dynastic Hero.

Ideally, I would get physical copies of these. I've done the emulation thing in the past but looking for the real deal now.

Dragon's Curse is a common and inexpensive game. Dynastic Hero is the rarest Turbo game.

DC doesn't require reading other than managing your gear.

DH is pretty straightforward, but there is a quiz later on. It's not too difficult to guess your way through or identify the questions/aswers.

Mzo

« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2014, 05:41:06 AM »
Monster Lair is the cheapest of the three games at the moment.  Why would you go J on that one but insist US for the other two?

Tatsujin

« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2014, 11:55:50 AM »
Monster Lair is the cheapest of the three games at the moment.  Why would you go J on that one but insist US for the other two?

because monster liar = 0 JPN skillz required (but JPN version is a hell of  cooler (and has very a nice poster) than the fugly TG16 cover etc. stuff)

dynastic hero & adventure island (dragon's curse) = partially JPN skillz required

:idea:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Xak

« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2014, 12:12:24 PM »
i dont care much for box art

but when it comes to uSA box art vs pCE  (see my left shift is ****ed) then i cry when i see how beautiful the pCE covers are
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

Black Tiger

« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »
i dont care much for box art

but when it comes to uSA box art vs pCE  (see my left shift is ****ed) then i cry when i see how beautiful the pCE covers are

If you cry over things you don't care much for, I'd hate to see how you react to things you do care about.

lukester

« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2014, 12:36:54 PM »
(see my left shift is ****ed)

YEAh duDE! SO is mINE tOo!