Author Topic: Wonderboy Series  (Read 17304 times)

Mzo

Re: Wonderboy Series
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »
Can't argue with that.  The US box art is pretty hideous.

esteban

Wonderboy Series
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2014, 10:53:11 PM »
Are you folks saying the U.S. MONSTER LAIR box art is hideous?

I think that is a bit extreme. It's not that bad. Clearly, it is a poor imitation of the SUPERCUTE original Japanese cover art, but it isn't hideous.
  |    | 

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #137 on: January 31, 2014, 12:54:03 AM »
What a Great Series, I'm currently playing IV on my Master System, the music is great!

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

Mathius

« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2014, 02:56:47 AM »
The latest issue of Retro Gamer magazine wrote up a great article on the Wonder Boy series and the formation of Westone. Over the years journalists have stated that the company's name was pronounced "West-One", but one of the founders have confirmed that it is in fact pronounced "West-Stone". For years I have always pronounced it as the former but being told I was wrong I switched to the latter. Now I have to switch back again.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

esteban

« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2014, 06:00:22 AM »
I've always pronounced it as "west stone") because it sounded better. If were ever to utter "west one" it would remind me of "Westwood One" and Casey Kasem and Top 40 and Wonderboy deserves better.

Trü storie.
  |    | 

Punch

« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »
I've always pronounced it as Wet Stone for some reason.

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2014, 12:39:40 PM »
Just picked up Dynastic Hero which is basically a Wonder Boy Series game, just started it.  Seems fun.

I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

Tatsujin

« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2014, 02:51:44 PM »
Just picked up Dynastic Hero which is basically a Wonder Boy Series game..Seems fun.

www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Black Tiger

« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2014, 03:18:09 PM »
Just picked up Dynastic Hero which is basically a Wonder Boy Series game, just started it.  Seems fun.

I you like Dynastic Hero you'll love Wonderboy V on Genesis.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2014, 03:28:34 PM »

Obviously same game, I know Dynastic Hero is a wonder-boy game basically, I'm just new to the series, never played it now I have the 1st one, the Dragons trap, an now Dynastic Hero. 

Tatsujin

« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2014, 05:33:15 PM »

Obviously same game, I know Dynastic Hero is a wonder-boy game basically, I'm just new to the series, never played it now I have the 1st one, the Dragons trap, an now Dynastic Hero. 

great games, enjoy them to max :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2014, 01:10:59 PM »
These are the version's of WonderBoy I've got in my collection so far. My favorite of the 3 is the TG16 version for obvious superior reasons all around. And it's the only one that I have beaten so far. I'm still working on trying to beat the NES version but it's so freaking hard ! Gonna definitely have to try out the rest of the series that you guy's posted up on here.

Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Mathius

« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2014, 02:52:26 PM »
I am assuming you're running the arcade version off a SuperGun? How much did the board set you back?
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

esteban

Wonderboy Series
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2014, 12:51:03 AM »
I am assuming you're running the arcade version off a SuperGun? How much did the board set you back?

Initially, I just assumed it was the SMS version. But it looked too damn nice, "That title screen can't be from the SMS port, could it?"

What's sad is that I've played the SMS port a billion times, but I can't recall the title screen with any clarity.

I know it says "insert coin", I'm talking about the fact that I can't remember things. That's what is disturbing.

These are the version's of WonderBoy I've got in my collection so far. My favorite of the 3 is the TG16 version for obvious superior reasons all around. And it's the only one that I have beaten so far. I'm still working on trying to beat the NES version but it's so freaking hard ! Gonna definitely have to try out the rest of the series that you guy's posted up on here.

It is quite satisfying when you beat Adventure Island NES, since it is a challenging game. Such a great game, though.

If you have SMS, certainly grab Wonderboy—it's cheap and one of the best games in the SMS library (a very solid platformer, marred only by the lame square direction pad on the SMS controller).

Also, don't hurt me, but since you like this classic platforming formula of Wonderboy, you should give JJ & Jeff a chance. It is the black sheep, the bastard child, the lone wolf in the Wonderboy family. Folks either love it or hate it, I think. It's not perfect, but I personally find enough there to deem it "worthy". JJ&Jeff, like AI NES, has some quite challenging platforming acrobatics required later in the game.

NAI is easy but fun as hell.

AI 2 NES is very nice, too.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:02:08 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

HailingTheThings

« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2014, 03:29:54 PM »
If you have SMS, certainly grab Wonderboy—it's cheap and one of the best games in the SMS library (a very solid platformer, marred only by the lame square direction pad on the SMS controller).

You can use GEN pads on the SMS, though, right? I remember doing this at least the last time I played mine. Was quite a while ago, so maybe I'm wrong.