Author Topic: Wonderboy Series  (Read 17433 times)

Tatsujin

Re: Wonderboy Series
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2013, 05:52:52 PM »
yeah, wonderboys and even its rebranded offshoots are all worth to be played. such funny games, doesn't even matter much on which platform (ok, the genny monsterlair was hilarious bad compared to the PCE one).

funnily the pce WBs are some of the best outthere:

dragon's curse / adventure island = best version
monsterlair = best version (grafics almost 1:1 pixel perfect arcade and a superb OST that beat the shit out the arcade)
dynastic hero = imo best version due to the more vibrant colors and superb OST
bikkuriman world = beside the changed boss characters an almost 1:1 pixel arcade port
if you count hudsons branched off NAI into the serie, this one is a real gem. and as good as a classic WB  only can get.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Mathius

« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2013, 11:31:10 AM »
I am looking forward to getting the Turbo Flashcart so I can finally play the PCE version of Bikkuriman with its English translation.

Playing the original Wonder Boy in the arcades back in the 80s was an awesome experience. I remember how crisp and colorful the graphics were. If I had been smart enough to get the SMS version of WB back when I had the system (the first time) I probably would have been floored by how well it was ported.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2013, 02:21:48 PM »
If Mario and Zelda had a love child he would be called Wonder Boy! I just wish that I could change characters on the fly in Dragon's Curse like you can in the Sega Master System version.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 03:09:23 AM by BigusSchmuck »

Black Tiger

« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2013, 04:43:29 PM »
If Mario and Zenda had a love child he would be called Wonder Boy! I just wish that I could change characters on the fly in Dragon's Curse like you can in the Sega Master System version.

How do you change characters on the fly in the SMS version?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2013, 05:03:52 PM »
I'm curious about this as well.

Black Tiger

« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2013, 05:56:36 PM »
I'm curious about this as well.

It would break the game, so I'm pretty sure you can't.

Tatsujin

« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2013, 07:53:10 PM »
Could you do that in the SMS version other than in the change chamber? Dunno reallt remember that.
www.pcedaisakusen.net

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2013, 03:12:35 AM »
Could you do that in the SMS version other than in the change chamber? Dunno reallt remember that.
Equip the Tasmanian sword, and jump into the air. While in the air, hold and let go of 1 on controller 2 and 2 on controller 1 at the same time. You'll transform when you land!

Black Tiger

« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2013, 07:09:40 AM »
Equip the Tasmanian sword, and jump into the air. While in the air, hold and let go of 1 on controller 2 and 2 on controller 1 at the same time. You'll transform when you land!

So it's just a cheat code. :P

The game is already easy enough, so I wouldn't have much use for that. Since it's a cheat, chances are it's also in the PCE version.

The charm stone warps and infinite bosses are what really sets the SMS version apart.

Mathius

« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2013, 07:27:25 AM »

The game is already easy enough, so I wouldn't have much use for that. Since it's a cheat, chances are it's also in the PCE version.

The charm stone warps and infinite bosses are what really sets the SMS version apart.

Infinite bosses?

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2013, 07:50:04 AM »

Not really as you need the Tasmanian sword to do it and it's a item not easy to find.  :)

Tatsujin

« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2013, 12:01:20 PM »
Yeah, but still a cheat which even involves controller 2 trickery.
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Black Tiger

« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2013, 12:06:55 PM »

Not really as you need the Tasmanian sword to do it and it's a item not easy to find.  :)

Since the game was designed around limited use of different forms, it's either a cheat or the game isn't nearly as good as people think it is.

Infinite bosses?

Once you've maxed out your charm stones you unlock a bunch of hidden warp doors that transport you around the world, including each dungeon, where bosses can be fought again and again.

Mathius

« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2013, 12:19:43 PM »
Oh okay. Thanks! I have yet to beat the game. I got very near the end a while back, lost the save, and haven't made it quite that far during subsequent plays.

Xak

« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2013, 12:40:46 AM »
I always loved Dragons Curse. I just learned Dynastic Hero is the next game in the series. The screenshots look dazzling, I will be getting it soon.
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic