Author Topic: The Smithsonian is going to have a game exhibit next year and Turbob needs ur Ob  (Read 1310 times)

Tatsujin

Btw. how many TG16/Turbo DUOs were sold in North America and Canada?
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Necromancer

• Global Moderator

Various interwebz sources say about a fourth of 'em, so 2.5 million.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Tatsujin

not that bad as I find, and they really still thinking of not including it?
www.pcedaisakusen.net

blueraven

Not enough.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
How many ColecoVisions and Intellevisions were sold?  2 million and 3 million respectively, compared to the 30 million Atari 2600s.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

geise

Sales should make no damn bit of difference in being in the exhibit.  It's about showing video games as an art form.  I know they want more well known games so they can get people to go to the exhibit.  However, from what I've seen on the site though they have quite a few games that never made crazy sales.  They have Ikaruga for example.  Yeah it's not the DC original but they still have Ikaruga.

esteban

Here is the "impossible" task:

1) You must appeal to the mainstream, contemporary audience (lots of young folk who, through no fault of their own, are totally ignorant about most of the games/consoles of yore *and/or* casual gamers, who again, are ignorant of the breadth of video game world).

2) You must appeal to the Top 10, because, Lord Knows, even folks who are "savvy" about video games really only know (aka have experience with) the Top 10 across multiple platforms.

3) You must satisfy the sponsors of the event.

4) You must OBTAIN THE PHYSICAL ARTIFACTS.

5) You must fit everything into a limited physical space.

6) Upon satisfying #1-5, you may throw a few bones to the uber-nerds, like us.

IMHO:

1) So be it.
2) So be it.
3) F*ck. So be it.
4) Hmmmm, this is only true for the actual exhibit in the museum. There is no rule that you couldn't have HONORABLE MENTIONS (BONUS MATERIAL!) available for the virtual exhibit online. That's one of the nice things about the internetz.

5) See #4.

6) This exhibit could have attempted to appease nerdy folks by at least having "Honorable Mentions" and drawing from the wealth of titles available for the included platforms as well as the excluded platforms (including arcade and PC titles). Sure, we'd still complain about this second-citizen status, but at least the initiated viewer/attendee of the exhibit would have the option to delve deeper into the subject matter, should he/she choose to do so. I am perfectly happy with mainstream vehicles (Smithsonian) "opening the doors" to a deeper history. The niche fandoms need, and benefit from, opportunities like this: take a casual/mainstream person and get him/her even MORE interested in the history of video games.

NOTE: I can dream, goddammit.

NOTE: When I say "history", I mean both "history" and I mean "art", which is incidental. I know this exhibit has put "art" at the forefront, but let's not fool ourselves, this exhibit is heavy on BOTH.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:00:41 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

16-bit

The omission of the Turbo Grafx 16 from the Smithsonian exhibit really bummed me out.  I remember a couple years ago when I saw a display with the Turbo Grafx 16 at the San Francisco airport and how happy I was with the recognition it received.

Anyone want to join me in protest on opening day?  :D

turbogrfxfan

I'd go for sure but I have to figure a way to DC
"is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

DesmondThe3rd

Those punks are not going to get anyway with this! I'm making a video for revenge:

Tatsujin

wow, I so will watch that when I'm back homey :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Firebomber7

Those punks are not going to get anyway with this! I'm making a video for revenge:

Where'd the name Desmond the 3rd come from if your name is Ryan?

Funny video though. You trying that accent cracked me right up! Too bad I'm on the other end of Ontario, or I'd buy you beer.

DesmondThe3rd

Where'd the name Desmond the 3rd come from if your name is Ryan?

Funny video though. You trying that accent cracked me right up! Too bad I'm on the other end of Ontario, or I'd buy you beer.
Well, when I joined the forum here I was worried how old and rough my previous TG videos where on Youtube especially to other Turbo fanatics and so maybe it was time to change things up and I liked the wrestler Desmond Wolf and added a snobbish 3rd at the end to kinda class things up. There you have it and yes I still drink beer too :D

TR0N

LOL i think we need to send keith apicary there way of talking classic.It would be funny if he made a video about the museum not having a,konami justifier.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

soop

LMAO, I don't know if anyone else commented on this, but in the FAQ, it says there will be 5 playable games, limited to a few minutes of play at a time...  and two of those games are Myst and Monkey Island.

What the f*ck are they thinking?  What can you possibly get out of either game for "a few minutes" of play?