Author Topic: PCEGT replace with 3.5inch TFT LCD  (Read 6546 times)

dylbob42

Re: PCEGT replace with 3.5inch TFT LCD
« Reply #225 on: May 27, 2015, 10:09:47 PM »
ah dammit, i finally find instructions on how to do this and as usual the picS are not available. although the women replacements are a first. if anyone knows of a good tutorial on how to do this with clear pictures and instructions could you please leave a link?

thesteve

Mercutio

« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2015, 02:53:22 AM »
Is there anyone on the forum who does this mod for hire? I've got a unit coming from a friend that has bad caps, and I'm really curious about having something like this done as well.

schweaty

« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2015, 04:26:15 AM »
Is there anyone on the forum who does this mod for hire? I've got a unit coming from a friend that has bad caps, and I'm really curious about having something like this done as well.

PM Turbokon 

he does it

Keith Courage

« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2015, 10:26:31 AM »
I've recently gotten into doing this mod as well. So if Turbokon is backlogged and doesn't want to take on any more jobs at the moment I'd be willing to do it.

mickcris

« Reply #230 on: May 29, 2015, 10:33:34 AM »
Just got mine back today that I had sent to Turbokon.  It looks awesome!  He did a great job.  Highly recommended mod.

Mercutio

« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2015, 11:08:42 AM »
Cool! Thanks, guys! I think it might come your way Keith, I haven't gotten anything back from Turbokon.

esteban

PCEGT replace with 3.5inch TFT LCD
« Reply #232 on: May 29, 2015, 11:17:52 AM »
Cool! Thanks, guys! I think it might come your way Keith, I haven't gotten anything back from Turbokon.

I think Turbokon said he was taking a break from mods as he concentrated on his magic RGB BOX project.
  |    | 

mickcris

« Reply #233 on: May 29, 2015, 11:26:01 AM »

I think Turbokon said he was taking a break from mods as he concentrated on his magic RGB BOX project.

Yeah, that's what it says on his webpage.  i sent mine to him before he put that up.

leonk

« Reply #234 on: June 03, 2015, 04:52:12 PM »
Any good instructions with pictures on how to mod the system to fit the bigger LCD screen?

Keith Courage

« Reply #235 on: June 03, 2015, 07:27:30 PM »
Get a file and get to work. It's pretty time consuming. Or a small saw blade of sorts and then file afterwards to smooth things out. Very fine soldering will be needed to tap composite from the HU6260 chip. So be careful if you haven't soldered anything pins that small before.

http://pcengine.freeforums.org/express-gt-composite-t179.html
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:37:32 AM by Keith Courage »

Mercutio

« Reply #236 on: June 05, 2015, 04:54:05 AM »
Get a file and get to work. It's pretty time consuming. Or a small saw blade of sorts and then file afterwards to smooth things out. Very fine soldering will be needed to tap composite from the HU6260 chip. So be careful if you haven't soldered anything pins that small before.

http://pcengine.freeforums.org/express-gt-composite-t179.html

I'm so excited to have this mod done. I haven't had my TE long but MAN is it impossible to read text in a lot of games...

Question for folks though: how's the battery life improve after the screen is replaced?

SmokeMonster

« Reply #237 on: June 09, 2015, 05:45:33 AM »
Yes, battery is much improved after replacing the screen. I didn't time it exactly, but mine seemed to last forever with a pack of fully charged Eneloop AAs. At least 6+ hours of gameplay. I have a 2.5" LCD though, not the 3.5".

thesteve

« Reply #238 on: June 09, 2015, 01:44:33 PM »
the 3.5 will differ, i have seen some that improved batt life and some that didnt

wilykat

« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2015, 08:53:28 PM »

Images in older posts are missing or have been replaced with girls and the question seems to come up often.

So I stole the image from another side.
Step 1: make sure your TE or GT is working fine.  Recap as well, old cap will go bad and it will ruin the board.
Step 2: take out game, batteries, power cable, TV tuner, etc.
Step 3: take it apart to get the mainboard.
Step 4: Find the chip HuC6260 and locate the pin numbering (or count from pin 1)  double check you have the right pin!!
Step 5: desolder and life all the pins as indicated in the picture.
Step 6: connect pin 19, 25, 29,32, and 39 to one wire, this will go to LCD module for better ground shielding.
Step 7: connect the remaining 4 pins to resistors. Tie the other end of resistor to one common point connected to the base of any basic NPN transistor
Step 8: solder collector of the transistor to 5v source.
Step 9: emitter is composite video, connect that to a 75 ohms (or 2x 150 ohms in parallel as 75 is not commonly found locally) and the other end of the resistor to LCD's video input
Step 10: Get power to LCD module. Check docs if it takes 5v or needs higher unregulated voltage.
Step 11: double, triple, and quadruple check everything to ensure there's no short, bridged solder, or any problem.

Power it on and hope for the best.

optional, if you got larger LCD rather than 2.5", you will need to modify the front shell.  Most people usually can get up to 3.5" LCD while still keeping the entire gut inside the TE or GT.  Larger LCD is possible but you'd need to make a custom shell or housing to hold the LCD.

Feeling adventurous? PSOne LCD, RGB connection, clamshell case (or flat like Nintendo 2DS), make it like a PC Engine LT for a lot less than $500.

I plan to get mine with 3.5" LCD and also to hack in the save SRAM.  Tennokoe2 is cheap on eBay and it's just 2 chips that one needs to make it work, plus battery or fat capacitor save support for SRAM chip.