Author Topic: Turbo CD / PCE CDROM2 Broken Gear / Warmup Issue - Solutions in Development!  (Read 1842 times)

BlueBMW

There are a few major failures that occur with Turbo CD and PCE CDROM2 units.  Historically, the most common failure has been the laser deteriorating to the point where it will no longer read.  The repair for this has been to replace the laser assembly which is still readily available for a reasonable price.  

Recently however, many have been experiencing two related issues.  One is a CDROM unit that will not start up at all.  Meaning the disc wont spin, the laser wont turn on, nothing happens at all except for a "0" on the readout.  The other issue is that some units will require a significant warm up time.  These two issues have been traced to the now infamous "middle gear" on the laser sled mechanism.  The gear will either seize up on its axle causing the warm up issue, or teeth will break off the gear rendering the entire unit inoperative.

In a unit where the gear has not broken yet, it has been determined that a relubrication using a safe plastic lubricant on the middle gear axle can extend the life of the unit and correct the warm up issue.  This however is not a permanent fix as the gears are still deteriorating and will inevitably break.

Many efforts have been made to find or manufacture replacement middle gears.  As of yet, none have succeeded in providing a cost effective solution.  Recently however, the tech crew here at PCEFX have been considering alternate methods of repairing this problem.

Finally, just today a completely new solution utilizing a not so new idea has been developed.  This process is currently undergoing extensive testing, but so far has proven reliable....

Introducing the CDROM3 Upgrade

This system eliminates the gear system completely and replaces it with a smooth and quiet belt system.  The major parts have been sourced.  The total cost of this repair will be under $10 for the parts.  This repair requires some skill to implement, and so should be done by one of the tech crew here.  We are currently testing this solution and also searching for better components, although the components we are using now are proving to be effective!  

Soon this repair service will be officially offered at a very low cost to PCEngineFX members in good standing.

Here are some pictures!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 03:59:23 AM by BlueBMW »
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

tsuran

Very cool! I'm sure this will make a lot of people happy!
Posting is overrated.

chop5

Gentlemen behold indeed! Looks great BMW. The simplicity and resourcefullness of eliminating the gear friction is a superior fix. Bravo  :clap:
We have the best tech team here! Soon all these tech problems will be a thing of the past. All of us working together can do wonders!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:04:57 PM by chop5 »
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

staxx

I can't wait, I have this zombie TG16 CD rom just sitting here. It does have the gear intact though it seems dead, i.e. the laser doesn't even move nor does the CD spin. I was going to attempt to buy a new laser and replace it hoping for the best, but I wonder should I wait until this gear replacement service is available.

blueraven

This is excellent. A wonderful solution! This completely eliminates the need for the gear-driven system.  :clap:

:mrgreen:
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

grahf

Well damn, how about that. Nice work guys. This is such a simple but elegant solution to the gear sourcing problem.

I made a random comment a few days ago about how belt drives are usually the ones to wear out after 10+ years, but at least those can be replaced. The Famicom disk system is a good example. Pretty much all of those have bad belts now, but a new belt can be bought for a few dollars (and should last another decade).

Opethian

The beamer has become a master's apprentice cheers!!!

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Fantastic, gents!  Hopefully you'll be saving many TG-CDs from the scrap heap, providing years of additional OBEY time.  :clap:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keith Courage

I applaud all the work being done here and love the new belt drive concept. Does it work well? I'd be curious to hear what it sounds like when running. However, I also want to say that I had my CD drive fixed by that guy on ebay a while ago and I have not had any problems at all. So the two gear fix definitely works without any issues whatsoever, at least the way he does it. I understand that maybe people here do not like him because of not sharing his idea or showing how he gets it done but it is a solid fix in my opinion. Maybe other people here can figure out what else needs to be adjusted or changed to get the gear idea working?

BlueBMW

The dislike comes from the ebay guy charging so much.  My fix is cheap and will remain cheap.  If someone wants to be a test unit with this system please send me a PM.

As far as noise... its dead silent.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

RR1980

that's some voodoo shit right here! haha just kidding you guys are awesome! :)

blueraven

As far as noise... its dead silent.

:shock: Well, I daresay you may have IMPROVED the design! An engineering feat!
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Charlie

Well, damn!

I made a comment in reference to this in another thread before I got to this one, and here is more of the same.

Please see my other post, which references replacing the entire mechanism.

More pictures of the whole mechanism would be appreciated (in a similar detail/closeup level as these current pics)

Charlie

incrediblehark

awesome developments guys! I'm all for the belt cdrom, whatever extends our usage of the pc engine or turbo cd is all that matters!

esteban

This is, indeed, promising news. :)

|    |