Author Topic: Turbo CD / PCE CDROM2 Broken Gear / Warmup Issue - Solutions in Development!  (Read 1840 times)

Mathius

PM'd ya Blue! :-$ :)
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

turbogrfxfan

This is awesome news!  knowing that it can be fixed pretty easily gives a sigh of relief. Word up!
"is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Bernie

• Facebook URL
Awesome news indeed.  I been wanting to possibly purchase a Turbo Grafx 16/CD set-up, but held back due to all the issues they had now.  This makes me change my mind.  I always thought they looked cool the way they bundled together.

soop

Man, this is awesome  :D  I just got a briefcase system where the seller claimed it was a faulty laser.

Not only did I pick up a laser for £6 (well fingers crossed), I turned it on yesterday, and it's a motor issue!  Even easier!  As soon as Blue gets this going, I'm set  8)

Of course, it may have a laser issue too...

chop5

ive been keeping this under my hat for a while. but now with all the generosity being shown on here and sharing i feel like its ok for me to show it.
like bmw said these are new developments to fix a common problem. i had developed a 2 gear solution or zombie gear last year and only offered the repair to a couple of people here. i gave up on developing the second gear further as it gave me problems and was just difficult in general for me. if its difficult for me in the slightest i cannot offer it to clients. So i abandoned it and developed this,gentlemen behold......THE PHAT GEAR!

its already been tested for months on multiple cd/pce systems and for a handful of customers. this fix is ready to go.
this is a drop in solution requiring no modification at all and is not an improvement like the pully and belt drive or a second gear. its exactly the same as the old middle gear. This will solve stuck gears,fear of moving a stuck gear,broken gear and other problems. does not cure laser death. does make it sound a bit loud but it does no harm to the machine and is the price to pay for resurrection.

kits will be provided as well as the actual change service soon but i doubt anyone will be interested in this.

this may be my last project here as there's no more pce related problems to conquer. and of course as the universal law goes,the one who develops it will never benefit from it. almost kinda pointless because it costed me a small fortune and more important vast amounts of time to develop and get right but its done because i wish it so.

AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

Mathius

Leave it to chop to blow my mind! When/If my Turbo CD bites it I may consider this.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Keith Courage

How much for the gear? I am always trying to find cheaper and easier options.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:40:41 AM by Keith Courage »

SignOfZeta

So this is brass?  I really have to wonder how long that one nylon geer will be able to deal with that. I would certainly keep it well lubricated.

chop5

chris the gears are 1.99 each at hobby stores and easily available,only problem is they do need to be worked on first. any fix i do must meet criteria where its cheap as possible,from easy to obtain materials,and easy enough a small chipmunk can do it. I will pm you later with deets and post them on here when i make my for sale thread.

zeta they are curved and polished at the teeth to prevent any friction whatsoever or biting into the plastic. The main reason i used soft copper gears because they are easier to work with than with plastic. heres a pic of plastic proto:

cons of using plastic gears are they are not found easily in the teeth,dimension and pitch of the hole. i had to make those 2 gears there. Ideally if 2 gears made this way professionally would be nice but i dont have the money to make any. but if they are plastic the third gear may shatter all over again after time. Alot of pressure is put on that tiny middle gear.
pros of using soft copper is i can drill each hole myself and all it needs is good lubricant and will last for years on end if not forever. the copper is a little more stronger than a hard plastic gear anyway. Ive ruined many a copper gear with just the brute force of my hands getting them to fit  :oops:
these are remote control car gears so they have to be able to survive much punishment. Its not unheard of mixing plastic with metal gears with the cars and other remote control devices. Thats what this basically is like a remote control car but it plays pce!
more info soon  :wink:

update:
gears on sale in the sale thread  https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=11677.0
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:04:44 AM by chop5 »
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

RR1980

wow the phat gear looks like it would be very sturdy and ensure many many yrs of obeying to come! you are just amazing Chop! :)

TR0N

About time you announce this gear fix chop but congrats any ways  :clap:

With the fix you cooked up it does gives me a reason to hang onto the,TG16+Turbocd i have.

For awhile there i was debating if i was gonna keep turbo-cd or not due to the gear issue.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Windy

Re: Turbo CD / PCE CDROM2 Broken Gear / Warmup Issue - Solutions in Development!
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2011, 04:13:18 AM »
great stuff there! the stuff of legends!
Proud Member of the F@CK Ebay Club
MONSTER HUNTER TRI FC: W272XV

pngo

Re: Turbo CD / PCE CDROM2 Broken Gear / Warmup Issue - Solutions in Development!
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2011, 02:16:39 PM »
looks really good. I am loooking forward to trying to bring my cdrom2 back to life with this fix.

Official Ninja

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2011, 04:40:40 PM »
Thats fantastic Chop. Looks like a great fix. My brother and I cast a copy of the gear with resin. It didn't work. Although it looked like maybe we could improve it we lost interest in the project because of life circumstances. I'm glad to see a fix to this issue!

BlueBMW

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2011, 04:48:05 PM »
Thats fantastic Chop. Looks like a great fix. My brother and I cast a copy of the gear with resin. It didn't work. Although it looked like maybe we could improve it we lost interest in the project because of life circumstances. I'm glad to see a fix to this issue!

Official Ninja, we appreciate you guys trying!

It seems like the only sure way to reproduce the original gears would be to have a true injection mold made for them.  Even a small MUD type mold (a small mold designed for rapid prototyping of parts) would still probably run around $4K to have built.  If I only I was still making injection molds for a living.. this would have been done by now!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc