Author Topic: Hip Hop Music  (Read 1901 times)

Ninja Spirit

Hip Hop Music
« on: August 28, 2005, 04:14:18 AM »
What artists do you guys listen to? I happen to be fed up with that "gangster" image that these mainstream imbeciles are putting up.

I get my stuff from those underground mixtapes, artists that never make it to Top 40 but still makes good music.  

As mentioned before in another thread, I previously threw Public Enemy in the list of artists that drew the genre away from its simple fun nature but was put in my place. Those guys were all about change.

Keranu

Hip Hop Music
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 04:43:54 AM »
Well I don't listen to new rap or hip hop or any other genre of music today, I prefer the older stuff. I haven't explored rap as deeply as I have other genres, but I do indeed love 80's rap and I have this collection full of good stuff from back then. Rap back then was much more creative and fun, giving the listener a lot more to jam out to. Today it's all about the same cliche beats (where the HELL are the turn tables?), rapping about something serious instead of just having fun, along with trying to rap really fast (which isn't bad I guess, but I think it can lead to bad habbits). But yeah, old skool rap was rad as hell. Rock has it even worse these days though, I can't even call that shit rock anymore...
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

lord_cack

Hip Hop Music
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 05:19:49 AM »
Now if PD (Paranoia Dragon for those who don't know...and if you don't you will :) ) hits this thread he will know more bands than I do but there is a type of Hip Hop out there that isn't main stream and isn't all the B#tches and Bling Bling and such. Band like Jurassic 5 and such. I am not sure about alot of the other artists out there but there is Hip Hop that is Good. Good beats, good rhymes, just good stuff....
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

esteban

Hip Hop Music
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 08:00:19 AM »
I really only listen to old "mainstream" hip hop (well, mostly rap really). So Afrika Bambaataa, Public Enemy, RUN DMC, Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Fat Boys (don't laugh!), KRS ONE, etc. etc. Think: white boy in suburbia, watching Beat Street, Krush Groove, Breakin' (hey, I have the soundtrack to this, or maybe it's the sequel, and ICE T has the corniest rap on it--I love ICE T, by the way) etc.  

Basically, these are the more popular bands that were played on the radio (Kiss Fm for folks in the NYC area) when I was a kid growing up. Even the top 40 stations (i.e. Z100) would play a lot of the hit singles from these folks, so it really was mainstream in the mid-80's onward.

Quote from: "steve's nostalgia"
WNYC (public TV) had a great daily show called "Video Music Box" that played lots of great stuff that was never aired elsewhere. Sure, they played a lot of stuff that was on MTV as well, but to give you an idea of kool this program was: you'd never see KRAFTWERK (german electronic band) ANYWHERE, EVER in the U.S. media at the time, but because Afrika Bambaataa had sampled some of their music, Video Music Box decided to play some Kraftwerk videos (a whole bunch, in fact). Kraftwerk is NOT hip hop at all, but they knew that some folks would totally dig it, even though it was a different genre of music.

Even Kiss Fm played stuff by "Art of Noise", another band that was a totally different genre from hip hop, but that was appreciated by the hip hop audience.

There were also a bunch of short-lived music video channels on VHF that appeared in the 80's, and they had shows dedicated to all the popular genres, so you'd see the Cure and the Smiths one hour, and Afrika Bambaataa the next hour
  |    | 

Keranu

Hip Hop Music
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 08:48:32 AM »
Steve, Fat Boys RULE! No need to be ashamed!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Ninja Spirit

Hip Hop Music
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 11:27:17 AM »
Heh I also remember before the "bling" showed up in rap videos, around the early 90's or so, the theme of most of those old videos would be "entourages".

Blasta_Mazta

Hip Hop Music
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 11:34:55 AM »
anti-pop consortium, sonic sum, i guess they're the turbo grafx of hip-hop. the king of rap is GZA of the wu-tang clan. his last album wasn't gangster related, had no curses. he had a song about a psycho killer in a small town, and "fame" and
"animal planet" were classics. the best stuff doesn't sell, but that's probably a good thing because we get to have it all to ourselves, lol.

Ninja Spirit

Hip Hop Music
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 01:10:15 PM »
That reminds me, I got a heads up for y'all.

http://www.radioruckus.com/

You'll need real player to stream this New Jersey based hip hop show.

Every Sunday night 10PM-Midnight EST.

Keranu

Hip Hop Music
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 01:37:03 PM »
Cool, I'll try to check that out.

doomfarer75

Hip Hop Music
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 01:13:21 AM »
To be honest, I went thru my classic rock phase, then gangsterrap in the early 90's liek the wu-tang clan...along with "seattle sound" bands like alice in chains...

about 4 years ago,  I picked up a Johnny Cash album, and then it was over for a long time.  from the immortal Man in black, I went back in time to old country, the guys who were keeping it real back in the day, waylon jennings, george jones, patsy cline, conway twitty,  and Willie of course...also Hank Williams, the first "star" to burn out and fade way, setting precedents for rock artists to come, and you all know his songs, just don't know that he wrote them, and all before he was 29.

This country that Nashville is churning out is god-awful pop CRAP, and they should be ashamed if they weren't so greedy. Music -city has lost its soul.

These days, I listen to Country out of Austin, like wayne hancock, Junior Brown,  and Hank Williams III Hank's rockin grandson.  the first 1/2 of his show is moaning country, and the 2nd is speedmetal type stuff that i don't entirely care for. Hank III is also thebass player in the deathmetal band Superjoint Ritual.  he makes no bones about how Nashville sucks.  Neither does Shooter Jennings...-Doom
"Look to your knives now, and 'ware the foeman."- The Doomfarers of Coramonde, by Brian Daley

http://www.brian-daley.com/default.htm
http://www.charlesatlas.com

lord_cack

Hip Hop Music
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 02:11:22 AM »
Quote from: "doomfarer75"

about 4 years ago,  I picked up a Johnny Cash album, and then it was over for a long time.  from the immortal Man in black, I went back in time to old country, the guys who were keeping it real back in the day, waylon jennings, george jones, patsy cline, conway twitty,  and Willie of course...also Hank Williams, the first "star" to burn out and fade way, setting precedents for rock artists to come, and you all know his songs, just don't know that he wrote them, and all before he was 29.

OMG! OMG! OMG! YOU ARE THE MAN!...JOHNNY CASH ROCKS!!!!!

Johnny Cash changed the world SO drastically, that you almost can't see it. He invented genres of music 30 years before people even knew what to call it. He flew on no one coat tails....he was Hank and more, he was Elvis and more. He is the only person besides Elvis to be in the Country music and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...add to that the fact he is in the Song Writters Hall of Fame and he adds up to something that no one will touch. He is on a musical plateau all his own.

Dont believe me....check out these 2 Albums and tell me for yourself.

Johnny Cash Live at San Quenton
Johnny Cash American Recordings

Johnny Cash was a force of nature.

John R. Cash 1932-2003

[EDIT] I would go on and on about Hank, Waylon...oh man just all of them but...I won't...they are all great and all lived harder than any 2 Hip Hop artists could. Got more women too prolly....so I guess its just taking Hip Hop time to catch up to the original bad a$$ of music...they never will...

lord_cack

Hip Hop Music
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 05:28:14 AM »
Quote from: "doomfarer75"

This country that Nashville is churning out is god-awful pop CRAP, and they should be ashamed if they weren't so greedy. Music -city has lost its soul.

Its bad...maybe one out of every 20 songs is so well written I can't ignore it. But it for sure not what it once was.

Ninja Spirit

Hip Hop Music
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 06:39:52 AM »
I'm not too big on country, but I do admit most of the time Toby Keith makes me laugh.

KingDrool

Hip Hop Music
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 06:52:27 AM »
Johnny Cash and Toby Keith are not in the same category of music.  They may both be country, but...yeah...not the same.  I agree with doomfarer.  There really isn't much real country being made these days.  It's pop-infused, simplistic tripe.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

esteban

Hip Hop Music
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 10:16:34 AM »
yes, i totally agree = modern country is pure crap. sorry. and it's one of the biggest selling genres in the U.S., go figure.

Johnny Cash rocks. He even did a whole bunch of gospel songs early in his career (definitely worth picking up, even if you're an atheist / heathen, like myself).... great Christian sing-alongs:

JC: "Who was he everybody?"

chorus: "He was Jesus"

repeat X 4

JC: "He was Jesus Christ, our lord"

BACK ON TOPIC:
The Disposable Heroes of Hypocrisy -- Only one album, but damn, it kicks butt. They continued the progressive political agenda that dissappeared from mainstream commercial hip hop.... but they never hit it big themselves. This is hybrid rock / rap / hip hop -- may not be your cup of tea.

Ninja, you gotta give us some suggestions! I'd love to check out some stuff. Even just one or two albums would be appreciated!
  |    |