Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix  (Read 22825 times)

esteban

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix
« Reply #270 on: January 17, 2011, 11:28:38 PM »
I think you figured out the solution:

(1) Revise the topic of the thread(s) to be as informative as possible (and reflect all the topics discussed)
(2) Revise the first post of each thread with a "Table of Contents" as well as a cross-reference to other thread(s).

Now, since D-Lite may not be around to make these edits for this thread, well :(

I can, however, revise my reply (#2 in this thread) as a desperate, futile attempt to help others.

TANGENT: Just a thought...
Also, if anyone is interested, I'd be happy to host standard html versions of particularly useful/reliable information on my site. It should be preserved for posterity... especially all the images that have only temporary homes.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:38:57 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

pixeljunkie

« Reply #271 on: January 21, 2011, 08:00:50 AM »
Hello all!

I think I might have a similar problem, except with a CD-ROM 2 Unit.

Similar symptoms:

- Cd-rom audio goes silent or out of sync after a while in some games (ie rondo of blood)
- the cd-rom audio quality is really bad, cracks and static noise, even playing music cds
- In one game the sprites don't show up at all (martial champions)
- Every now and then the just a moment seems to go on forever

From what I've read, it might need to replace some caps, clean the laser lens and/or adjust it or even replace the whole cd reader. I couldn't find which caps to replace on the CD-ROM unit, would any body be kind enough to point those out to me? I took a quick glance at it but I didn't see any poped caps or signs of leakage but I'm no expert. Any help is very much appreciated.

Ed

me and a friend are having pretty much the same problems and are equally curious of a solution. Quoting you for emphasis :)

chriscomputers

« Reply #272 on: January 29, 2011, 09:51:22 AM »
I wanted to post something I have done to fix two duo units with audio problems to help others out. I have repaired two units where changing the caps did not fix the problem. I was getting very distorted sound but head phones were fine. I ended up having to run two wires from the last two caps(positive end) to the solder points on the board for the audio cable. I can't think of what part on the baord actually is bad but this fixed it for me. Picture shown below. Anyone have any idea what part actually went bad? Maybe a tiny resister under the board?

Charlie

« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
You may have a problem here, if those caps are C678 and C679.  The positive end of those caps has a DC voltge on it, which is the output of the amps.  A short on those pins (caused by something with low impedance connected to the output jack) can very well damage the chips, as well as putting a DC voltage on whatever you have connected to the output jack.  You should actually come off the negative side of those caps.  But, I notice in your pix that the capacitors are installed with the neg end toward the chips....are you sure you installed the new caps properly, and have not reversed them?  If so, you have actually connected to the proper point on the PCB (which means, no, you DON'T have DC on the outputs), but the caps are reversed polarized.

Please double check this.

As for what parts are in that circuit, the abbreviated schematic (including the cap polarity) is available here:
 http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=7328.msg153079#msg153079

Charlie
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:30:41 AM by Charlie »

chriscomputers

« Reply #274 on: January 30, 2011, 07:27:13 PM »
From looking at the board the plus side is on the left where my lines are drawn.

Charlie

« Reply #275 on: January 31, 2011, 01:40:50 AM »
I'm not saying you are wrong, just that it SEEMS wrong.  I'll have to check my notes.
Thanks for the double check.

Edit:  Yup, at first check, it looks like the caps are placed correctly.  This means I'll have to go back and check the circuit on the board itself, and maybe edit my schematics to show the caps properly..

As to the actual problem, between the jack and the caps are the coils and the anti-thump circuit.  This consists of a set of transistors that turn off the audio when the system is first turned on.  Other than that, you may just have a bad connection someplace.  I'll check it out and get more details....post later.

Thanks for your patience.

Charlie
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:50:04 AM by Charlie »

Charlie

« Reply #276 on: February 04, 2011, 02:51:30 PM »
Finally figured out what was bugging me.  As I said, it SEEMED wrong....because it is.  But it has nothing to do with the cap polarity or changing the schematic.  You have jumped the output of the headphone amps directly to the AV connector!  No wonder you could make the comment that the headphones worked, and that this "fixed" the problem....you connected the AV plug into the working headphone audio.  You've completely jumped over the AV amplifier circuitry, which is where the anti-thump and coil circuitry is.  Those caps that you have connected to, do NOT (normally) go to the AV output.

Charlie

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:54:10 PM by Charlie »

chriscomputers

« Reply #277 on: February 04, 2011, 07:04:54 PM »
Hmmm, so do you possibly know what part of the board was bad? I changed the two caps I ran the wires from and also the main three caps from the preamp as well. Maybe there were more needing to be changed?

nat

« Reply #278 on: February 04, 2011, 08:30:27 PM »
Did you clean the board before replacing the capacitors? Replacing the capacitors w/o cleaning just stops the bleeding; the next-to-invisible electrolytic gunk that leaked from the old caps is still present on the board, usually shorting things in the process.

Also, there are other capacitors in the audio circuit than the ones you just replaced. See Charlie's schematic for specifics. In addition, there is one way out in the middle of nowhere that isn't obviously connected to the audio, but it is. IIRC it's the one in bottom right corner of the above image, I think it's C512 although it could be C521 or C525. It's been so long I just don't remember, but it seems to me it didn't have anything else near it.

My Duo started in with the "scratchy" sound at one point, and I replaced everything obviously tied in with the audio. Didn't fix it. I started replacing caps one at a time, by the time I'd replaced nearly 75% of all the caps on the board, I replaced that C512 (or whatever it was) and the problem went away. This was almost three years ago, and I haven't had any sound issues since. I don't see C512 anywhere on Charlie's audio schematic, so I'm not sure what role it plays in the audio circuit but it obviously does SOMETHING.

But, again, replacing caps without cleaning the PCB (preferably via a dishwasher cycle) is.... well, think of the Duo like an engine with a bad oil leak. So you fix the oil leak, but don't replace the oil that leaked out prior to repair. The engine still has a hard time because it's missing three quarts of oil. You need to address the residual effect of the problem, not just the problem itself.

If you've already cleaned the board, good on you.... You have another bad capacitor somewhere. Just replace everything mentioned in the schematic and go from there.

Charlie

« Reply #279 on: February 05, 2011, 01:06:38 AM »
C512 is the VCC power cap for U513 (or IC513), the BAFFA RAM.

Charlie

bernielindell

« Reply #280 on: May 08, 2011, 09:35:10 AM »
Just to let everyone know, D-Lite is still actively working on systems for people.  I have bought a PC engine Duo, which was totally refurbished and have been nothing but pleased.  I recently placed an order for a Duo R with him, and should have that one soon.  I would also like to add that his prices are awesome.  His website is here http://multimods.com/ .  Sometimes he takes a bit to respond to emails, but he always gets back to you.  Real life has a tendency to get in the way of our hobbies sometimes!  lol. 

Charlie

« Reply #281 on: May 26, 2011, 11:09:01 AM »
An "out-of-scope" question about the DUO was raised in the "REPAIR GUIDE - TG16 CD/PCE CD laser swap guide " thread, so I put the answer here, and added a reference note there
---------------------------------------
Couldn't find a "Q304", but I did find a "U304"; it's the POR (Power-On Reset) chip, not a regulator.  However, it is connected directly to U302, which IS a regulator.  It provides power for the ADPCM (U502), the DAC (U201), and the anti-thump, mute, and de-emphesis circuits.  I expect that it is the routing of the tracks that caused the bad connection to be physically at the pin on the U304, but electrically U304 is not involved with actually supplying power to anything.

Good catch!
Charlie

thesteve

« Reply #282 on: May 29, 2011, 06:40:45 AM »
Q304 is the power supply for the sound circuits.
its located behind IC505

Charlie

« Reply #283 on: May 29, 2011, 11:40:11 AM »
Aha! Found it.  Its a 2SC2412 PNP used as a diode regulator at 8.2VDC.  It provides 8VDC VCC for quite a number of IC's in the audio section.  This same 8 volts also provides a 4VDC source for other uses.

And, now that I think of it, I am pretty sure I mentioned this transistor before in some post of my own quite a while back! (Charlie slaps forehead with palm - DOH!).  Must be getting old;  I'll  look it up later.

Anyway, thanks!

Charlie

thesteve

« Reply #284 on: May 30, 2011, 07:37:43 AM »
its an NPN used as a current amp for a diode regulator.
the part number looks good.
the circuit provides 8.2v at the base and a current source (about 9V) at the collector.
the transistor provides 7.7V (~8V) at the emitter

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:45:56 AM by thesteve »