Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix  (Read 22779 times)

raylyd

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix
« Reply #420 on: February 20, 2015, 08:07:51 AM »
i just fixed one i had to remove the amp had capacitor fluid all over the chip and cleaned the pcb all works fine now :)

Nicktendowii

« Reply #421 on: August 05, 2015, 11:08:56 AM »
Hi, my problem is slightly different, was wondering if it would be the same fix? It's not that the sound is scrambled or doesn't play at all it's just extremely quiet, whether plugged into the headphone socket or direct from the composite cables. The audio on CD games, especially music, is even quieter still. It also produced some static sound as the TV needs to be turned up to full volume to (just about) hear anything..

Any thoughts? Also it's a PC-Engine Duo I'm using. Got it cheap second hand in Japan. Bought the wires separately and they may be Megadrive 1 cables.. Not sure.

Thanks for the help! And as this is my first post, I hope to be posting more in other topics! :D

thesteve

« Reply #422 on: August 05, 2015, 04:22:15 PM »
sounds like the normal cap issues

Nicktendowii

« Reply #423 on: August 05, 2015, 07:27:27 PM »
sounds like the normal cap issues

Thanks, just wanted to make sure before going ahead with the fix :)

levesque0999

« Reply #424 on: November 18, 2015, 05:52:28 AM »
thats wonderfull. I just sent my pc-engine to my repair guy with that sheet. It wont be a problem for him . I can repair game boy cartridge battery but i use duckt tape .. for soldering i prefer give it to a pro

SegaSonic91

« Reply #425 on: January 18, 2016, 09:54:58 AM »
I finally got my junky PCE DUO finished recapping yesterday.  The AC adaptor finally arrived so I was able to test it, at last.  I had no sound when I first turned it on with PAC-LAND in the system.  Hmmm, ok, "I'll test out the CD drive", I thought.  It worked!  Loaded DOWNLOAD 2 with no issues, but still no sound.  I thought that maybe the new caps need to charge up for a while before the sound comes back.  That worked and I had full Hu and CD sound after a good 45mins-1hr. 

I thought I would check this morning to see if it was still working and when I turned it on again, there was no sound :(  This time, however, sound popped in after about 10mins.  Does it need a long time to charge?  I am letting it sit for a few hours today in the hopes that it will full charge and I'll have no more issues in that area.

EDIT:  Hmmm, well that did not work.  I just checked it and it had no sound again.  I checked the caps to make sure they were OK and discovered that I actually had a cap missing, duh.  Guess I will have to try again after rectifying that later today.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:06:23 AM by SegaSonic91 »

thesteve

« Reply #426 on: January 18, 2016, 11:19:37 AM »
you have an open via behind the heatsinks, near the 10uf caps

SegaSonic91

« Reply #427 on: January 18, 2016, 12:07:54 PM »
Thanks, I will take a look and see if I can find it.  I just remembered that I also did not change the electrolytic caps around the heat sink because I was having such a hard time getting them free.  I thought of clipping them off and trying to remove the legs, but decided against it.  It was trying to get the bent bit of the leg from underneath the board to come free that was the problem.

I am happy to say that I had no problems with RGB amp installation on this system.  Tested it yesterday on my wonky French Trinitron, and it was gorgeous. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 12:09:34 PM by SegaSonic91 »

KingDrool

« Reply #428 on: December 19, 2016, 03:34:44 AM »
Just wanted to give this guide a big thumbs up. My son and I did this fix last week and my Duo sounds fantastic! Thanks D-Lite!
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Abelardo

« Reply #429 on: May 02, 2017, 08:52:54 AM »
Hello everyone, new old member here, recently got into modding systems an I ran across a pc engine duo that needed a recap (or so I thought), ordered cap kit from console5 and proceeded to do my first recap job, took me a long time so I was happy when I was done, but unfortunately CD audio didn't work, if I turn the volume up all I hear is static noise and some ocasional cracking, hucard  audio however is loud and clear. The only thing I'd notice is using 4.7uf 50v caps instead of 16 or 25v ones, console5 sent me the wrong ones and apologetic he was going to send me replacements, but since I'm in Mexico I opted to get them locally, so 50v was the only one I could find.

It's been days already since I've been trying to get it working, I've reseated some caps and I'm sure they're all fitted correctly (no shorts, continuity is there to where they're supposed to go, etc), so now mi conclusion is that there must be a damaged component or trace somewhere, after reading all this thread I found out about the audio diagrams Charlie posted, I'm looking at the TurboDuo Audio Multiplexer diagram, since hucard audio works I'm assuming the problem lies at AVC (u505) or at some point before that, am I correct? All 4558 and 4560 ICs that faced upward had normal voltage apparently, well some 4558 had voltage closer to 7 at pin 8 instead of 8 but I think that's normal, one of the voltage divisors is providing 7v so that's got to be the reason (my ac adaptor provides 9v instead of 10).

Sorry for the lengthy post, it has been more challenging than I expected, I welcome any ideas any of you guys might have, hopefull I can get this thing to work, thank you everyone!

Keith Courage

« Reply #430 on: May 02, 2017, 11:53:32 AM »
crackling means there could possibly be some bad traces to some of the caps, old cap goop in some of the via holes, or goop underneath some of the 4558 Op amps.

I always remove two of the the 4558 op amps every recap job I perform, clean under them really well, and then reinstall. The two to check would be the one closest the the AV jack next to the two 10UF caps and also do the same for the 4558 op amp that is on the bottom side of the board near the Oki5205 chip.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 12:45:28 PM by Keith Courage »

Abelardo

« Reply #431 on: May 02, 2017, 04:19:38 PM »
crackling means there could possibly be some bad traces to some of the caps, old cap goop in some of the via holes, or goop underneath some of the 4558 Op amps.

I always remove two of the the 4558 op amps every recap job I perform, clean under them really well, and then reinstall. The two to check would be the one closest the the AV jack next to the two 10UF caps and also do the same for the 4558 op amp that is on the bottom side of the board near the Oki5205 chip.

Thanks! I'll try that, let me see if I can get back to it tomorrow, man who would've though cap goop would cause such havoc, so in theory it's shorting the 4558's? haven't checked the one in the underside for shorts now that think of it, I'll try to remove them but if I find it difficult then at least I'll reflow them.

I've cleaned the board thoroughly with water, soap and a soft brush (that's what I do with arcade boards), sadly things didn't improve after it dried, how can you get cap goop out of the vias? A toothpick for the big ones but would that also work in the small ones? I'm also unsure how can it affect the via, is it shorting the via with the stuff around it?

I almost forgot that I took some photos the other day, looking at them I could've done a better job cleaning the flux I used, and some of my solder job looks sloppy, but aside from that is there something that looks troublesome? Here are the pics: http://imgur.com/a/N7sPh

Thanks again Keith!

Keith Courage

« Reply #432 on: May 02, 2017, 08:26:29 PM »
If all checks well with the op amps that I mentioned then you should then move onto checking the positive end of the 22uf cap near the AV jack and then also the 22uf cap near the oki5205 chip. Bot of those pads can get damaged from the old caps and sometimes require wires to bridge the damaged traces.

Abelardo

« Reply #433 on: May 04, 2017, 04:21:13 AM »
I give it a try yesterday, removed de op amp near the power jack and pulled a trace in the process but I was able to fit in a jump wire so still haven't managed to ruin it  :roll:

Checked the caps you mentioned, they seemed ok, not shorted and continuity was there, I thought about reflowing all the op amps and I did, but no improvements, so then I took a break and watched one of the longer duo repair videos on YouTube, the guy actually had problems after recapping and turns out a couple of VIAs had failed on his duo, the VIAs in my duo didn't looked that bad so didn't thought the problem would be there but with nothing else working I gave it a try, took me a while but actually found one that failed the continuity test! It was a small one and it's purpose was to ground one of the underside op amps, fixed it and the cracking is gone! Still no CD sound but I'm glad there's some progress after being stuck for a few days.

I'll check for more VIAs today, thanks for all the help Keith I feel that I'm getting very close  :D

Abelardo

« Reply #434 on: May 04, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »
Found one more broken VIA, fixed it and CD audio is back! I almost gave up, thank you Keith for giving me new things to check and keep my hopes up, one more Duo saved :D