Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix  (Read 22898 times)

raven1280

Re: TURBO DUO SOUND FIX!! (56k beware)
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2007, 04:18:05 AM »
From what I can tell from my repair work theres another capacitor thats responsible for the audio coming from the cd. If you are looking at the board from the back by the power supply to the left there are two capacitors. One is 22uF 16v and the other is 47uF 6v. The 22uF is the one that is part of the audio capacitors. Im at work right now so I cant post any pictures.

Raven

Tatsujin

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2007, 03:10:41 AM »
2.  audio is scratchy and may fade in and out, but the CD games load and play no problem (well, except for sound, duh)

i bought a DUO today and it shows exactly that issue as described above from you. i hate it, because i still can bring it back within a week but also need to go there again which takes 1 hour for one way. but the fix with the capacitors isn't a big issue for me anyway.

thanx a lot d-lite.

the sound via earphones is proper even i think the FX are a little bit to weak. does someone know that problem as well? :?

www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Duo_R

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2007, 02:49:27 PM »
Whatup Turbo Community! I just wanted to let you know that I followed this process and my Duo's sound now works! I have found the specific cap that fixed my CD sound. I will post more later.

D-Lite - How is it going buddy? Long time no talk!

Erik AKA Duo_R

http://www.geocities.com/duo_r@sbcglobal.net/

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 03:07:13 PM by fragment »
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

astrodan88

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2007, 05:18:29 AM »
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone could offer a little help. I recently acquired a Duo that is having sound problems. It's essentially what D-lite described as problem #1 (plays fine but no redbook audio from CDs). I just completed the mod D-lite described (replacing the 2 post-amp caps) hoping it would also solve my problem but unfortunately the audio is still gone. Someone else mentioned other capacitors relating to the CD audio. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone else know other caps to replace? Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
astrodan

nat

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2007, 05:32:18 AM »
Astro Dan '88!!! For Astro Dan, the year is always 1988.

nat

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2007, 05:35:09 AM »
Actually, I think the general consensus is that if replacing the caps D-Lite described doesn't fix your issue then you might as well go ahead an replace all of them. It shouldn't take too long.

Something else you can try before that: clean the traces around where the suspect caps used to be. Use alcohol and a cotton swab. The nasty gunk those things leak is conductive and just the residuals can cause problems.

raven1280

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2007, 06:56:55 AM »
Something else you can try before that: clean the traces around where the suspect caps used to be. Use alcohol and a cotton swab. The nasty gunk those things leak is conductive and just the residuals can cause problems.

Thats a very good thing to do before replacment.

Raven

Duo_R

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2007, 10:40:15 AM »
So I replaced the caps D-lite said to, but I still had some audio problems. The redbook audio was there, but the CD audio was very faint. I also had alot of static. So I started to replace some more caps. Raven mentioned another cap related to sound. I popped the cap and found this underneath:

Here is another shot:

I used some solvent cleaner to get it to this:

I then soldered on the new cap. The cap that replaced the old leaking one was a 22uf 35V from Radio Shack.

you can also see the other caps I replaced. Here is an update to D-Lite's image to show all the cap values (since some people keep asking). I used the same uf values, but substituted 35v caps from Radio Shack. The cap I replaced that leaked will be easier to install by removing the metal shield for your Duo.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 11:35:10 AM by Duo_R »
Add my YouTube channel:

geise

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2007, 05:03:07 AM »
Thank you so much for posting your information.  I replaced the two post op amp and pre amp caps, but didn't know what the other one was as well.  Now that I know what you used I'll see if I can get those caps and see if that will work.  Thanks again for the info! :)

termis

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2007, 07:27:13 AM »
Good info to have for sure.  Thx

Duo_R

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2007, 06:41:33 PM »
No problem guys, all I did was just built on what D-Lite started.

Good info to have for sure.  Thx
Add my YouTube channel:

geise

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2007, 03:46:05 AM »
First off I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but this is usually a thread that needs bumping.  Second, I'd like to thank everyone for their info on getting sound to work on their Duo's.  Yesterday I FINALL GOT THE SOUND ON MY DUO FIXED!!!!!  It was so nice popping in Ys and having the intro music play again.  I was having the problem of no cd audio playing what so ever, so I replaced the 10uf 16v caps D-Lite mentioned and still had no sound.  Then Duo_R mentioned the other 22uf 16v caps he replaced with 35v caps and got his sound to work.  Well after I replace the two 22uf 16v caps, BAM!  Sound is now working again.  Thanks again guys for all your help and info.  Now if you'll excuse me it's time to rock out some Lords of Thunder! :twisted:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 03:47:47 AM by geise »

Duo_R

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2007, 04:07:23 PM »
YS was the first CD game I ever heard...I remember when I first popped it in and saw the intro. The music blew me away. Fifteen years later it wasn't as dramatic with little or no audio, but after this fix I again popped in YS and it was like watching it for the first time again. I was blown away to hear sound on my Duo again! YS is a good one to kick off the fixed audio!
Add my YouTube channel:

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2007, 11:49:20 AM »
Well, well, well!!! So I buy me a copy of Last Alert for my US Duo after not playing my system for almost a year it seems. Guess what happens after just 1 hour of game play. Fading sound from the CD audio. My Duo is practically new, I got it new in 2000 -01 or so from TZD.

Anyways, atleast I know I can fix it easily. What exact screwdriver do I need? Someone please link me to a legit site that sells for it for a decent price. Also, is it the right one to open Nintendo systems and carts? Much appreciated.

geise

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2007, 01:47:36 PM »
The screwdriver I used I bought from here http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/NUS-45MM.html  They are a very legit company.  Hope this helps.