Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix  (Read 22888 times)

fabio

Re: TURBO DUO SOUND FIX!! (56k beware)
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2007, 01:50:05 PM »
Hey Folks,

I replaced the six suggested caps on my duo and the system sound is very consistent now (it would go out after a while before). The CD audio is where I'm having the problem, though. It is very faint, all though if i turn the volume up, I can tell that it is being output at a consistent level. What do you think the most likely culprit is?

Thanks,

Fabio

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2007, 08:30:53 PM »
Replace more silver small caps. Especially trying first with the ones to the right of the six you replaced.

ceti alpha

« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2007, 01:14:54 PM »
I have the audio problem as well. The sound used to work after a little while, but the problem is just getting worse and worse. Not only that, but I was just playing Nexzr Special and after beating Stage 2 the game brought me back to the beginning of Stage 2 again. After beating Stage 2 for the second time it then skipped Stage 3 and brought me to Stage 4. I've never had any issues with the CD before. Hopefully that's just a fluke.  :pray:

OK. Well it seems the sound issue is sensitive to touch. What I mean is if I move the Duo around a little sometimes the sound will come back or disappear.  :-k
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:35:03 PM by ceti alpha »

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Cleria

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2007, 05:34:37 AM »
Hey nice work D-Lite.

Now I've got the sound problem myself where you play the game and the audio cuts out.

The thing is I'm way to scared to open up the console and do all that stuff. Is there a way to possibly clean the lens and stuff of the laser?

Cleria

« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2007, 05:27:43 AM »
Gunna throw a few questions...reading 6 pages is a pain.

How do you open the case without destroying the console?
Once you take the little doohickies out and put the new thingermagiggers in, the sound will / should be okay - will there be any other effects? I read that there will be heating or something?
What else will go on?

Just a summary basically would be nice I suppose. :)

chaoticjelly

« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2007, 11:56:54 AM »
Hey, I made a thread because I solved my PCE Duo's noisy laser problem, and the problem it had where it took a long time to "warm up" before reading CDs.

However in the process the sound through the TV speakers has been knocked out, for HuCards, Music CDs and CD games..

However the audio from the headphone port is perfect.

There was one extra cap on my revision of PCB that wasn't on the total capacitor replacement chart, so I guessed the value (22uF?) based on the values of those caps around it, however its not really that close to the main audio amp.

Anyone any ideas how I can diagnose the problem and regain the audio from the speakers?

All I changed was all the caps.. and 95% sure they are all correct values and orientation... UNLESS, I needed higher voltage ratings on the caps? anyone know what the original caps that surround the main amp are rated at?

chaoticjelly

« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2007, 03:17:43 PM »
After a bit more buggering about I've found that the sound actually works perfectly. The reason it wasn't working was because whilst I replaced the caps, I replaced the AV socket for an 8 pin version. It seems that the pins for audio on the old AV cable dont connect properly.

So its working beautifully actually! Sweet  :P

Windytune

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2007, 03:33:24 AM »
I just recently bought a PC Engine DUO, and the seller said that the adpcm sound does not work. He said it was the M5205 Oki type chip, so I purchased one, I was just wondering where this sucker goes, and how to put it in, could it be the capacitors as well?

kokuryu

« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2007, 05:51:47 AM »
As many of you already know, I had recently gotten a PCE Duo that the CD sound and the ADPCM sound was not working.  Over the weekend I did a ton of capacitor replacement work on the board.

Day 1: When trying to open the unit to take stock about what capacitors I would need to get, after I unscrewed the main cover, a capacitor literally rolled out of the case when I turned the unit upright to remove the top cover.  I knew I was in trouble then!  But I was also taking this as a good sign that replacing capacitors would be a good thing at this point...  Never seen that before - a capacitor rolling out of a unit...  :shock:

I took stock of the capacitors that I would need, and went to the local Radio Shack.  I had to settle for a mixed bag for the type of capacitors - radial, non, polarized and non.  :roll:

I took it slow and replaced the capacitors one by one in the area marked in many previous pictures as the audio amplifier area - and the capacitor that fell off - a 47uf cap near the front of the unit.  I would literally replace one capacitor, then screw things back together and test to see if anything happened - good or bad.  Unfortunately, I only had one 22uf cap and really needed more of those.  I just took the time to replace some other caps in the nearby region of the audio amplifier area.  I found that almost every cap I replaced had either gunky or power residue on the circuit board underneath everything.  Another thing I found out - most of the 47uf and 22uf caps were counterfeit caps - probably why they failed and also dried out so badly.  At the end of the first day, I had replaced all but 4 caps in the direct audio area, and really needed at least one 22uf cap to complete that area's replacements.  :-({|=

Day 2: Back to Radio Shack - this one was much better stocked, and I was able to get a bunch of 22uf caps and also get a few more space saving versions of some of the other caps.  :P  My first job - finishing the replacement of the 4 remaining caps in the audio amp area.  It was not until I replaced the very last cap in that area, a 47uf cap just above the 22uf cap that a previous poster changed that gave them their CD audio back, that the CD audio returned for me.  That was great!  :dance:  Now I was even more determined than ever - I wanted the ADPCM sound too!  I replaced all of the 22uf and 47uf caps on the board, replaced the caps next to and nearby the Oki chips on the board, and replaced a few of the larger caps by the headphone output area (I left the smaller 4.7uf caps in place - they seemed to be working).  In the end, I replaced over 20 caps on the board.  But no ADPCM sound...  ](*,)

Day 3: I thought this was good enough for the moment. I only had 6 major caps and a dozen or so tiny minor caps to replace to actually finish a complete replacement.  I decided to give one final thing a try - to leave it running for several hours and then see what happens.  :pray: I left it on overnight, and the next morning gave it a try.  Sure enough, Madou Monogatari did not freeze up in the dungeon anymore, and the special sound effects came out!  :dance:

So in the end - one weekend's worth of cap replacements and testing is a complete success!  I have a totally working PCE Duo!  :clap:

Many thanks to all who came before me and shared their experiences too!

My own guess: I think it was the two 47uf caps near the front of the board that I replaced that did the trick for the ADPCM sound.  Replacing one probably made a nearby crystal start to work properly, and the other probably finally provided the right ground needed for the components in that area - and I think the ADPCM requests filter through one or more of the chips in that area.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2007, 06:02:18 AM »
@ kokuryu - Congrats on saving a Duo from the dust bin.  :clap:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2008, 10:01:27 AM »
I seem to be the one guy on Earth with an Oct 1992 Duo and not a problem.

That Duo had the sound die today in the middle of a game of Spriggan 2. Sad, sad day. In the middle of a redbook sequence it just went "POP!" and then silence. The PSG sound still played.

I'm gonna do the cap replacement and see what happens.

EDIT: What the f*ck do I use to open this system? How many different kinds of screws can they come up with for these things? Seriously.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 10:43:59 AM by nat »

ceti alpha

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2008, 11:57:15 AM »
EDIT: What the f*ck do I use to open this system? How many different kinds of screws can they come up with for these things? Seriously.

I guess this is what you need. Though I'd be really surprised if you couldn't find these tool bits in a hardware store.  :-k

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Turbografx-16-TG-16-Turboduo-Video-Game-TOOL-BIT-Fix_W0QQitemZ310024725641QQihZ021QQcategoryZ49230QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2008, 12:12:04 PM »
That's not it.

That's the one that opens the TurboGrafx-16.

That's why I'm so surprised-- you would think it'd be the same. It's some kind of screw head I've never, ever seen before. It's like a Torx socket that has a pin directly in the center.

spenoza

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2008, 03:13:53 PM »
That's a security torx. They're a bitch to find.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2008, 04:43:18 PM »
That's why I'm so surprised-- you would think it'd be the same. It's some kind of screw head I've never, ever seen before. It's like a Torx socket that has a pin directly in the center.

Buy this set and you'll be able to open all sorts of shit.  If you want to wait a while, sign up for mailings and wait for one of their free shipping offers.

P.S. - You must have a PCE Duo, since my US Duo uses the goofy gamebit screws.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles