Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix  (Read 22872 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: TURBO DUO SOUND FIX!! (56k beware)
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2009, 08:08:33 AM »
just an FYI - I have a hunch someone is trying to make money off this guide. Oh well I guess everyone tries to cash in on ebay.  :roll:

L@@K!!1!  R@RE!11!!!  It's called 'Caps Lock' ya f*cktard, learn to turn it off.  ](*,)

What a douche, but at least she's an honest douche and admits that she didn't create the guide.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Platinumfungi

« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2009, 09:18:13 AM »
I'd be interested to see if they have pictures/info of ours taken from here at PCFX...

To my knowledge this site is the best compilation of information about these issues.

Duo_R

« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2009, 09:41:55 AM »
My thoughts exactly. I meant to post this in the Turbo Express post but oh well.

ftp://

I'd be interested to see if they have pictures/info of ours taken from here at PCFX...

To my knowledge this site is the best compilation of information about these issues.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Pcenginefx

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2009, 12:04:08 PM »
I have made this topic sticky, as well as changed the thread title for better classification.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

Duo_R

« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2009, 07:39:39 AM »
so today I booted up my old US Duo (who has been not getting much attention since the Duo-R arrived last year). The audio as I stated was lowered after my fix, but no more scratchiness / fading in and out of audio. I played Ys III last night and noticed something - when the characters talk (recorded speach) I do not hear anything. I hear the soundtrack playing, but cannot hear the characters talk at all! Now I am baffled..... ](*,)
Add my YouTube channel:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2009, 08:34:51 AM »
Now I am baffled..... ](*,)

No ADPCM, eh?  Awack had that problem before; the consensus was that a chip had failed.  I'd check with him to see if a chip transplant solved the problem and if he can give you any tips.

Duo_R

« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2009, 02:16:47 PM »
well I replaced the chip with another one from a Duo that was working fine. Didn't fix the problem unfortunately.....man this US Duo is just so damn stubborn! Nice clean audio but no ADPCM.
Add my YouTube channel:

Duo_R

« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2009, 03:36:43 PM »
I did a swap from a US Duo to a JP Duo with the M5205 chip. Both systems retained the same behavior (US Duo no ADPCM, JP Duo has ADPCM but fading audio). The JP Duo hasn't had a cap swap yet so that is why the fading audio is there. As I stated both systems behaved exactly the same. So I am beginning to suspect another part. What about the other IC's near this area? I know one of them is the opamp, what os the IC between Opamp and the M5205 chip? It is directly above the voltage regulators, long skinny IC.
Add my YouTube channel:

Duo_R

« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
no thoughts? Does anyone think a tech doc is floating around somewhere on the Duo systems? I replaced the M5205 and still ADPCM issues.....when I have time I will swap more IC's but I would rather not shotgun this system (well I already replaced EVERY capacitor practically). Perfect sound now, no ADPCM.

Also - how important is ADPCM in most CD games? Does this just render it kinda useless for RPG's with voice acting?
Add my YouTube channel:

Fakk2

« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2009, 06:57:16 PM »
I am also having this issue with sound crackle only mine is with my PC Engine PAC for the LaserActive. I replaced one of the capacitors as mentioned for the Duo and the crackle sound has stopped, but now I have no sound fx or ADPCM sound coming from the left speaker at all, but the CD audio works perfectly for both speakers. I can't believe my PAC is affected by this issue. I seriously don't wanna ruin my PC Engine PAC by ripping traces prying off these caps and replacing them as the PC Engine PAC is rare and expensive. Anyone know of Pioneer repair shops that fix these things?

override

« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2009, 09:04:45 AM »
Hey D-Lite,

I just ordered a duo that is having the sound problem (ADPCM going out) that you are describing off of ebay?! I placed a bid at the last minute and got it for $72.00....I bid because it was cheap and I figured it could be fixed easily!

The question I have is shown in your pics of the "old" and "new" caps the old ones circled in yellow have arrows pointing to the left and right caps. The pics of the "new" caps show that you only replaced the left side.....Is that because you only needed to replace the left side or were you just showing an example with the left side before you did the right side?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2009, 10:51:11 AM »
Hey D-Lite,

I just ordered a duo that is having the sound problem (ADPCM going out) that you are describing off of ebay?! I placed a bid at the last minute and got it for $72.00....I bid because it was cheap and I figured it could be fixed easily!

The question I have is shown in your pics of the "old" and "new" caps the old ones circled in yellow have arrows pointing to the left and right caps. The pics of the "new" caps show that you only replaced the left side.....Is that because you only needed to replace the left side or were you just showing an example with the left side before you did the right side?

You won't get an answer from D-Lite - he's not around here any longer.  D-Lite's problem was redbook related, not ADPCM, so this specific instance wouldn't have helped much anyway.  My advice is to visit this thread for one possible culprit and check the Total Capacitor Replacement Repair Guide for all the caps and just do 'em all.  It's better to fix everything now than go crazy later trying to track down which cap is still causing problems.

override

« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2009, 12:47:36 PM »
Well poop I didnt know he wasnt around.....BUT Thanks for refering me to those other 2 forums :clap: ! I had seen the one for the cap replacements but I didnt know of the other one for the sound problem that I do infact have.... ](*,) Thanks for the help though! Everyone here has been super friendly so far! Im glad I joined the forum!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:57:14 PM by override »

Fakk2

« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2009, 11:04:35 AM »
Well, since nobody can help me here I decided to go ahead and do it myself. I ordered a ton of capacitors from allelectronics.com and when they got here yesterday I went ahead and shotgunned the PC Engine PAC and replaced every cap that I could (some have strange info on them so I don't know what they are so I could not do all of them), but to no surprise I have the same problem still. No ADPCM or Sound FX from the left channel. It did however make the sound fx and ADPCM sound from the right channel crystal clear and loud again. So I guess it was not a total waste of time. But I still cannot hear any sound fx or ADPCM from the left channel...any ideas? please help!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2009, 11:15:08 AM »
...replaced every cap that I could (some have strange info on them so I don't know what they are so I could not do all of them)...

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but it might be one of the unidentified caps.  Sorry I can't be on any real assistance.  :|