Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix  (Read 22873 times)

Charlie

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix
« Reply #180 on: June 28, 2009, 09:08:44 AM »
The replacement chart is the natural place for the cap data, of course.  But the overall technical data? 
Don't know.  And even if it is, the thread is very broken up on the various topics.  Probably need to combine all that data, and the various other tidbits found in some of the other threads, into some comprehensive and coherent data presentation.  Sort of like an on-line manual that contains sections for all console/peripherals? 

Charlie

Platinumfungi

« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2009, 03:03:53 PM »
The replacement chart is the natural place for the cap data, of course.  But the overall technical data? 
Don't know.  And even if it is, the thread is very broken up on the various topics.  Probably need to combine all that data, and the various other tidbits found in some of the other threads, into some comprehensive and coherent data presentation.  Sort of like an on-line manual that contains sections for all console/peripherals? 

Charlie

I like the sound of it, but I'm not sure what the best way is to organize / reorganize all of it. And I'm wondering if it's possible to do what you're thinking of (the online manual) here in the forums with the limitations of the forum design space or if it would need to be made with some other resources and then added/linked here.

Almost seems like you'd need to create webspace just for this to really lay it out nicely. Oh, that makes me question the idea of some Wiki type database? I know I've seen some various wiki spaces about different gaming repairs or mods before so just a thought there.

I'm all for helping out with whatever needs to be done for these. I've tried to help contribute what I can in the past and am definitely interested in continuing to do so  :D

Charlie

« Reply #182 on: June 29, 2009, 10:50:58 AM »
Hmmm, webspace not a problem.  Check out "www.racevb6.com".  Note the "guest" links.  We can just add another one (damn! wish I'd thought of that --I was so concentrated on keeping the scattered data intact it just slipped my mind.)

Generally, I'll say go ahead and make up some docs, send them to me (with the appropriate subject) at "charlie@racevb6.com" and I'll upload them.   But we should probably at least have a minimum idea of the format of the manual(s).  I'd like to get the data out of the narrative-type description/format and into a more formal technical-type description/format, with various graphics like "Picture #1" and the proper references in the text, etc.  And of course that means a fairly in-depth review of all the posts here that may contain applicable data.  Any tech-writer types out there?

Charlie

agt_dale_cooper

« Reply #183 on: June 29, 2009, 10:57:48 AM »
C617,C618 ,C205,C206= .22uf.  Anything 16V or more is ok.

Are these polarized?  Too small to tell which side is +, which is -.  [Parts Express:  .22uF, 50V:  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=020-1622 .  Gonna throw a buck at this, see what happens...]

Note that U505 has a CD mute function and a CD fade function on pin 8; check that also.

Mute would shut it completely off, right?  Not just way down like we're experiencing...?  If not, perhaps this is the bug....? :-k
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:14:21 AM by agt_dale_cooper »

milkmanv1

« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2009, 03:54:42 PM »
Oh man, I'm so happy this is such an easy fix, just replace 2 caps. I just got a US duo, and I thought I noticed some scratchy, not too loud sound. I went to play some bravoman today (BRAVO!) and it was REAL bad, so me and my dad will (CAREFULLY!) pop open my Duo, and give her a fix. Thanks so much D-Lite

override

« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2009, 05:01:53 PM »
Oh man, I'm so happy this is such an easy fix, just replace 2 caps. I just got a US duo, and I thought I noticed some scratchy, not too loud sound. I went to play some bravoman today (BRAVO!) and it was REAL bad, so me and my dad will (CAREFULLY!) pop open my Duo, and give her a fix. Thanks so much D-Lite

While your in there you may as well replace all the caps! You can order them at newark.com for about $12....

milkmanv1

« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2009, 06:40:01 PM »
Hmm I was going more for a quick fix... I mean It wouldnt hurt to redo all of em, but I figured i'd just replace as the problems go, "If it aint broke dont fix it?"

Charlie

« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2009, 09:30:20 PM »
Those caps are not polarized.

Yes, the mute would turn it off, but the fade may keep it low.  The fade effect occurs by simply switching from high-volume, to mid-volume, to zero-volume.  So, maybe it's stuck at mid-volume.

By the way, there is an "anti-thump" circuit as well; it's another, albeit remote, possibility.

Charlie

override

« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2009, 10:27:35 PM »
Hmm I was going more for a quick fix... I mean It wouldnt hurt to redo all of em, but I figured i'd just replace as the problems go, "If it aint broke dont fix it?"

Your right in most cases dont fix it if it aint broken.....BUT the problem hear in lies that the cause of the capacitors leaking is generally from heat and the fact that shitty caps were used at the time of building these extravegant machines! Everytime a cap leaks you get electrolytic/acidic juice from the caps on the PCB which there in can eat traces away and cause chip damage which will most likely eventually cause your sound to totaly fail and it will be a bitch to get back if you even get it back....

With this in mind and seeing it be an actual problem with "my system" I would say replace them all why you got it apart....its not that hard to do and maybe would take you about 2.5 hrs of pulling all the caps, desoldering them, cleaning the PCB and then resoldering!

If anything you could alway get a member such as myself, redghost, duo-r, etc. members on the board to do a cap replacement for you....Also be carefull not to lift any pads! Any caps that leak will have a higher chance of the pads lifting which can cause more problems than needed!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:31:20 PM by override »

Charlie

« Reply #189 on: July 09, 2009, 11:18:51 AM »
Listen to Override; replace all caps.

Charlie

milkmanv1

« Reply #190 on: July 09, 2009, 03:20:01 PM »
Hmm... I have a quick question, is it possible for a Hucard to be messed up? I havn't really noticed any fuzzy sound on any game other then bravo man that ONE time. I got bonks adventure today, played through the whole game, and since it was my first runthrough it took a while...so. My question is it possible for a HuCard to messed up?

override

« Reply #191 on: July 09, 2009, 06:08:15 PM »
Hmm... I have a quick question, is it possible for a Hucard to be messed up? I havn't really noticed any fuzzy sound on any game other then bravo man that ONE time. I got bonks adventure today, played through the whole game, and since it was my first runthrough it took a while...so. My question is it possible for a HuCard to messed up?

It is possible for hucards to go dead...I dont know about haveing sound issues but im sure its possible!

milkmanv1

« Reply #192 on: July 10, 2009, 03:10:24 AM »
If the sound starts to act up at all again, I'll get right on replacing those caps, but since it was such an isolated incident i'll wait a bit, and see if anything else happens.

Fakk2

« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2009, 12:54:42 PM »
Is there anyone in here that can replace all the caps in my PC Engine PAC? I already did the majority of them, but got no results at all from changing them. I am willing to pay a lil to get the rest of them swapped out with new ones if that will fix my sound issue I am having. I live in California. Please someone PM me and let me know. I am tired of owning a faulty PC Engine PAC, and want to see it work again someday. :) The only problem it is having is it had staticy sound coming from the left speaker during games. After changing out a ton of caps it now has no sound fx coming from the left speaker even though music works fine.

Fakk2

« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2009, 01:33:41 PM »
I'm still looking for someone that lives in California that can change out the remaining caps and fix my PC Engine PAC. I am dying to get this working. Please respond.