Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix  (Read 22851 times)

King_Vidiot

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix
« Reply #210 on: February 05, 2010, 09:37:33 AM »
I sent my Duo away to get a region mod and the sound fix.  The region mod works but my sound (just the music, not the sound effects) still cuts out when playing certain CD-based games (Dracula X, Valis, etc). 

Could someone point me to the best post(s) that address this problem?  I was thinking of just opening mine up, seeing what the guy did who "fixed" my sound to see if I can spot anything he skipped or didnt do.

thanks

D-Lite

« Reply #211 on: February 05, 2010, 09:53:42 AM »
I sent my Duo away to get a region mod and the sound fix.  The region mod works but my sound (just the music, not the sound effects) still cuts out when playing certain CD-based games (Dracula X, Valis, etc). 

Could someone point me to the best post(s) that address this problem?  I was thinking of just opening mine up, seeing what the guy did who "fixed" my sound to see if I can spot anything he skipped or didnt do.

thanks

Do you know what the person did to fix the sound?  Unless it was a full cap replacement you can assume that's likely the problem.  I'm not going to ask you to post the person's name here, but I would send it back and ask for it to be done again since you paid for the work.  Well, providing you paid for a full, guaranteed repair.  For me, when I do one of these (only done it once for someone else so far, but have done many for consoles I have on hand), I thoroughly check the system performance before sending it out and asking for payment.  There's a chance it's the pots too, if they weren't adjusted.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

King_Vidiot

« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2010, 11:04:15 AM »
I assume what he did was a full cap replacement, I guess what I'm asking is once I open up the system, how can I verify this or not?  Maybe he missed a cap or two?  And if it's the pots, how do I test or adjust?

Charlie

« Reply #213 on: February 06, 2010, 12:37:25 AM »
==>And if it's the pots, how do I test or adjust?<<=

SEARCH function may help!

"5 silver pots on the Turbo Duo pcb"

Charlie

King_Vidiot

« Reply #214 on: February 06, 2010, 07:13:17 AM »
...or you could have saved your keystrokes and just posted the link

Charlie

« Reply #215 on: February 09, 2010, 10:39:36 AM »
Nah, then I would have had to find it myself!  Less work this way.

Good luck

Charlie

Duo_R

« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2010, 08:30:01 AM »
D-lite,

any thoughts to the lack of ADPCM sounds? I got a full cap replaced Duo everything works except ADPCM sounds. Very strange, no scratchiness anymore just 0 volume for ADPCM. Alot of good ideas shared on here but wondering if u ever tackled that one yourself.

Duo

thanks

Do you know what the person did to fix the sound?  Unless it was a full cap replacement you can assume that's likely the problem.  I'm not going to ask you to post the person's name here, but I would send it back and ask for it to be done again since you paid for the work.  Well, providing you paid for a full, guaranteed repair.  For me, when I do one of these (only done it once for someone else so far, but have done many for consoles I have on hand), I thoroughly check the system performance before sending it out and asking for payment.  There's a chance it's the pots too, if they weren't adjusted.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #217 on: February 10, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »
I wonder if the Oki MSM5205 ADPCM chips tend to fry out on Duo systems? I mean it is hard to imagine what else can go wrong after replacing all the caps. The only other cause I can think of is bad traces with corrosion from the leaking caps before replacement. The other problem could be no power getting to the to the Oki chip, or the CD control board not sending the data to it.

D-Lite

« Reply #218 on: February 10, 2010, 12:10:40 PM »
D-lite,

any thoughts to the lack of ADPCM sounds? I got a full cap replaced Duo everything works except ADPCM sounds. Very strange, no scratchiness anymore just 0 volume for ADPCM. Alot of good ideas shared on here but wondering if u ever tackled that one yourself.

Duo

thanks

ONCE.  And replacing the 5205 worked perfectly for it.  Again, only had this happen once out of dozens of systems and that fixed it, as SNKNost said.  So odd to have an IC fail like that, but was exactly the cause.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

Duo_R

« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2010, 10:24:05 AM »
D-lite - unfortunately 5205 swap didn't change anything on this Duo. I have replaced some other parts, and I am still trying to find sources for some of the other IC's. It would be awesome if someone had a full part reference for all the IC's on compatible replacements and source.

I did a swap from a US Duo to a JP Duo with the M5205 chip. Both systems retained the same behavior (US Duo no ADPCM, JP Duo has ADPCM but fading audio). The JP Duo hasn't had a cap swap yet so that is why the fading audio is there. As I stated both systems behaved exactly the same. So I am beginning to suspect another part. What about the other IC's near this area? I know one of them is the opamp, what os the IC between Opamp and the M5205 chip? It is directly above the voltage regulators, long skinny IC.
Add my YouTube channel:

override

« Reply #220 on: March 01, 2010, 10:45:17 AM »
Duo_R your still messing with that duo?

Whatever happen to the two chips I sent you?

Duo_R

« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »
Hey man sorry totally slacking on getting those back to you. Just send you a PM, reply with your addy and they will be on their way. Yeah unfortunately swapping the IC's didn't change anything, so at least it ruled those out for me. I got more IC's to swap up but not much time. More seeing if others have fixed this issue before I go mad and replace every damn part... LOL

-Duo

Duo_R your still messing with that duo?

Whatever happen to the two chips I sent you?
Add my YouTube channel:

unclebugspayton

« Reply #222 on: March 05, 2010, 12:40:30 AM »
So if i have scratchy sound i should change the post op amp caps and pre amp?

blueraven

« Reply #223 on: March 05, 2010, 08:16:02 AM »
I'd recommend changing all the caps around the heat synch's, but you may be able to get away with just the sound caps. I wasn't so lucky. I had the same problem; scratchy sound, and it went to fade out after a month or so. Make sure you clean up all of the excess flux and grime around the sound chip; this was causing the problem on one incredibly dirty unit from a turbo-smokers house.

I've just finished 2 complete cap replacements on Black PCE Duo's; I'm running the green NTK hi-temp caps for the sound area, as they can withstand hours and hours of extended gameplay.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

unclebugspayton

« Reply #224 on: March 09, 2010, 01:47:29 AM »
What can i use to clean the excess flux and grime around the sound chip?