Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix  (Read 22836 times)

chany60126

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix
« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2010, 12:48:26 PM »
4.5mm gamebit is standard for the USA Turbo Duo.  Top of screw is CONVEX.
Torx Security T10 is standard for the Japanese Turbo Duo.  Top of screw is concave.

If your 4.5mm doesn't fit, perhaps they sent a 3.8mm by mistake.
Got a NES or SNES cart kicking around the house?  They're put together with either flat head (NES) or 3.8mm (NES/SNES) screws.
Got a Genesis cart around the house?  They're put together with either philips or 4.5mm screws.

Check your screw bit against the NES/SNES/Genesis carts to determine it's size.  If this doesn't work, take a GOOD picture of your screw, and we'll collectively figure it out for you.

Well, I am pretty sure that it's not a 3.8 MM security bit as the bit can't even fit inside the hole where screw is for SNES games. I tried it on a couple of Genesis games and it can't grip it. I am not sure if this company gave me a generic gamebit or what. The grooves on the bit don't look wide enough to grip the screw even though it fits the hole.

This is the best pic I could take with my cam.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 12:53:23 PM by chany60126 »
SignofZeta: What a quintessentially PCEFX thread. Someone complains about nothing, multiple Bible-length posts discussing who's a bigger a$$hole follow. You're both pretty big a$$holes. Let's call it a tie.

agt_dale_cooper

« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2010, 02:16:53 PM »
From the picture, appears you have the correct style bit.
DON'T understand it's ability to open a Genesis game.
Are the screws in the Genesis the same as the screws in your Duo?
Got anybody local to you that handles such matters?  Try Craigslist, if present for your vicinity.
Don't know what to tell you, unfortunately...strange.

chany60126

« Reply #242 on: June 11, 2010, 06:33:29 PM »
Got anybody local to you that handles such matters?  Try Craigslist, if present for your vicinity.

I went to my local Play N Trade since they can repair anything, even retro. The repairs guy confirmed that it was definitely the wrong bit since it is not keyed in properly compared to the screws on the Duo. He even tried to open up an n64 system, but no dice. Too bad he couldn't find his gamebit. The screws on my Duo are the same ones as the Genesis carts. What a headache... Where did you buy your gamebit from??
SignofZeta: What a quintessentially PCEFX thread. Someone complains about nothing, multiple Bible-length posts discussing who's a bigger a$$hole follow. You're both pretty big a$$holes. Let's call it a tie.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #243 on: June 12, 2010, 02:36:31 AM »

I went to my local Play N Trade since they can repair anything, even retro. The repairs guy confirmed that it was definitely the wrong bit since it is not keyed in properly compared to the screws on the Duo. He even tried to open up an n64 system, but no dice. Too bad he couldn't find his gamebit. The screws on my Duo are the same ones as the Genesis carts. What a headache... Where did you buy your gamebit from??

Play N Trade's generally have trouble doing repairs for systems they either don't have an outside vendor to repair or are not in their guidebook.

Added in edit: After consulting a friend of mine who was employed at one. Most of what they do internally at his store is simple NES 72 pin connector swaps. Everything else they were sending out to a vendor. It's on a franchise by franchise basis apparently.

I'm guessing you went to the one next to the movie theatre in Downtown Elmhurst?

In any event, I bought the correct gamebit from Nintendo Repair Shop online.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:44:43 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

chany60126

« Reply #244 on: June 12, 2010, 04:36:51 AM »

Play N Trade's generally have trouble doing repairs for systems they either don't have an outside vendor to repair or are not in their guidebook.

Added in edit: After consulting a friend of mine who was employed at one. Most of what they do internally at his store is simple NES 72 pin connector swaps. Everything else they were sending out to a vendor. It's on a franchise by franchise basis apparently.

I'm guessing you went to the one next to the movie theatre in Downtown Elmhurst?

Yep, I went to Play N Trade in Elmhurst, it's only a half mile from my house. The guy who does repairs, Steve, has worked with gamebits before. He seems to know what he is talkin about. He is excellent at soldering stuff as he has fixed many RROD for 360s. I will probably seek his advice on how to solder since I have never done that before. The guys there are awesome.

I will look into the nintendo repair site after I email the peops (ncsx.com) who sold me the wrong gamebit. I think.
There is a label on the baggie where gamebit came that says 22-1150. Did your gamebit have a similar description?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:30:23 AM by chany60126 »

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #245 on: June 12, 2010, 06:42:54 AM »

Yep, I went to Play N Trade in Elmhurst, it's only a half mile from my house. The guy who does repairs, Steve, has worked with gamebits before. He seems to know what he is talkin about. He is excellent at soldering stuff as he has fixed many RROD for 360s. I will probably seek his advice on how to solder since I have never done that before. The guys there are awesome.

I will look into the nintendo repair site after I email the peops (ncsx.com) who sold me the wrong gamebit. I think.
There is a label on the baggie where gamebit came that says 22-1150. Did your gamebit have a similar description?

Thanks,

I've bought from NCS many many many times. Not usually had a problem. My gamebit (I bought two different ones from Nintendo repair shop at the time) literally arrived in a regular envelop in a tiny baggie with an invoice.

Added in edit:As far as that play N trade goes. I like the people there. I never find much product I want there however. Whereas I've had better luck finding retro stuff I want at some of the other Play N trades in the area. Cool people there though. I've been there 20-30 times, some of the employees recognize me there by now.

The downside to that Play N Trade is the location. Living only a half a mile from there is one of the few ways to actually get to that play n trade since downtown Elmhurst has practically no parking. I usually park all the way down by Hamburger Heaven and just walk whenever I go to that one.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:50:24 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

chany60126

« Reply #246 on: June 12, 2010, 08:20:53 AM »

Thanks,

I've bought from NCS many many many times. Not usually had a problem. My gamebit (I bought two different ones from Nintendo repair shop at the time) literally arrived in a regular envelop in a tiny baggie with an invoice.

Added in edit:As far as that play N trade goes. I like the people there. I never find much product I want there however. Whereas I've had better luck finding retro stuff I want at some of the other Play N trades in the area. Cool people there though. I've been there 20-30 times, some of the employees recognize me there by now.

The downside to that Play N Trade is the location. Living only a half a mile from there is one of the few ways to actually get to that play n trade since downtown Elmhurst has practically no parking. I usually park all the way down by Hamburger Heaven and just walk whenever I go to that one.

The Elmhurst Play N Trade is pretty good. They get some good stuff from time to time. I go there at least once a week since bank is right across the street. I am astonished to hear that you park all the way by Hamburger Heaven. You should park at the Chase/Walgreens parking lot right in front of the store. Chill out at Walgreens for a bit just to play it safe. I have found some pretty nice finds at Elmhurst PNT. In fact, I picked up Splatterhouse 2 and 3 for a combined $20 about a month and a half ago. The only other PNT i've been to is in bloomingdale right in front of Stratford mall, but I believe that one closed. Which ones do you like??

On a side note, I was surprised to see that the Microcenter carries 4.5 gamebits!! They are Out of stock but I'll visit the one in westmont and see if they'll order one for me.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0335650
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 08:24:14 AM by chany60126 »

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #247 on: June 12, 2010, 08:42:47 AM »

Thanks,

The Elmhurst Play N Trade is pretty good. They get some good stuff from time to time. I go there at least once a week since bank is right across the street. I am astonished to hear that you park all the way by Hamburger Heaven. You should park at the Chase/Walgreens parking lot right in front of the store. Chill out at Walgreens for a bit just to play it safe. I have found some pretty nice finds at Elmhurst PNT. In fact, I picked up Splatterhouse 2 and 3 for a combined $20 about a month and a half ago. The only other PNT i've been to is in bloomingdale right in front of Stratford mall, but I believe that one closed. Which ones do you like??

On a side note, I was surprised to see that the Microcenter carries 4.5 gamebits!! They are Out of stock but I'll visit the one in westmont and see if they'll order one for me.

The parking by Walgreens is always full, I've had to park in the multi level parking which is only available certain hours closer to the train tracks a few times.

The Bloomingdale play n trade is terrible as far as what retro stuff they get, I work almost directly across the street from it and am there frequently, it's still in business (I saw a thing on Craigslist saying they were closed but they're still there) but it's not really visible from Gary Avenue and most people don't know it's there). As far as Play N Trades go, The better ones are Naperville, and North Aurora. I've also had good luck with Batavia.

In general People Play Games and Videogames etc have better product anyway.

But yeah, Elmhurst PNT is a nice store and it's much better than bloomingdale. But I've not had good luck finding stuff there.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 08:45:27 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

chany60126

« Reply #248 on: June 12, 2010, 03:26:43 PM »

Thanks,

The parking by Walgreens is always full, I've had to park in the multi level parking which is only available certain hours closer to the train tracks a few times.

The Bloomingdale play n trade is terrible as far as what retro stuff they get, I work almost directly across the street from it and am there frequently, it's still in business (I saw a thing on Craigslist saying they were closed but they're still there) but it's not really visible from Gary Avenue and most people don't know it's there). As far as Play N Trades go, The better ones are Naperville, and North Aurora. I've also had good luck with Batavia.

In general People Play Games and Videogames etc have better product anyway.

But yeah, Elmhurst PNT is a nice store and it's much better than bloomingdale. But I've not had good luck finding stuff there.

It's good to hear that the one in Bloomingdale is still open, I did see the ad on CL that it was closing. Very odd... There is a new PNT that just opened in Melrose on north ave. I will probably wait a little bit for them to accumulate some retro games.

People Play Games and Video Games Etc are awesome. Their prices for nes/snes games are a little iffy, but their assortment of T-16, neo geo, and other retro stuff definitely make it worth the trip to those locations.

Hopefully I can get a good gamebit soon. I would love to have my turbo duo's sound problems fixed before the Video Game Summit in Lombard comes along since I am heading the Turbo Fest booth. At least I have my T-16 + CD that works great, but that would be a big load to carry around.

onetunafish

« Reply #249 on: July 22, 2010, 12:09:22 PM »
Hello all!

I think I might have a similar problem, except with a CD-ROM 2 Unit.

Similar symptoms:

- Cd-rom audio goes silent or out of sync after a while in some games (ie rondo of blood)
- the cd-rom audio quality is really bad, cracks and static noise, even playing music cds
- In one game the sprites don't show up at all (martial champions)
- Every now and then the just a moment seems to go on forever

From what I've read, it might need to replace some caps, clean the laser lens and/or adjust it or even replace the whole cd reader. I couldn't find which caps to replace on the CD-ROM unit, would any body be kind enough to point those out to me? I took a quick glance at it but I didn't see any poped caps or signs of leakage but I'm no expert. Any help is very much appreciated.

Ed

chop5

« Reply #250 on: August 01, 2010, 07:14:31 PM »
Just thinking out loud while working on a duo with the sound issue after the cap change:

Didn't know the volume knob effected the av sound thought it was for headphone only. Sound was very crackly at first but when I turned the knob down returned to almost normal. Like an old radio or player with the sound to loud. Could this be the culprit for the final sound issues we have? Not turning it down but that whole region effecting the general sound because its faulty or needs repair. Like could it be cut out or removed all together? Like those audiophiles do with ps1's so all they have is the main audio center without it diverting to other areas on the board.

So far from all the duos Ive worked on I think I know how the whole mess started. The big non smt caps near the heat sink over time and use leaked HUGE amounts of fluid that got under the sound caps and since they are smt and closed off the fluid cant drain or evaporate causing the smt caps to malfunction and causing shorts and rust around the pins making them look black when you pull them off the board. I have found liquid under caps in that area and thought it was fluid from the smt cap itself but its too much. Also this fluid seeps thru the via's and leaks to the bottom of the board causing all kinds of damage. If the fluid can cause shorts and rust under the caps it can do worse to any chip it meets.
The huge caps even tho they leaked fluid that you can swab under them to see it,were checked with a cap meter and were still under acceptable working condition. What worries me is that I have changed alot of those big caps and will more fluid leak again over time?
Perhaps larger and more heat resistant caps are needed.
I need more duos to work on to be sure.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:19:36 PM by chop5 »
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

spaceheater

« Reply #251 on: August 27, 2010, 03:57:45 PM »
hey guys! I recently pulled out my Turboduo to play a little Lords of Thunder only to realize my Duo is suffering from popping/fading into no redbook audio issue.  :x Thanks to this forum, I know what the problem is and how to fix it.

So far I've been looking for someone able to repair these things, but no dice...

I don't have much experience with soldering (as in: none), but having bought myself an iron, a small PCB, and a cap to play around with I've discovered I can actually solder! So I'm considering doing the cap replacement myself. I've got a security bit and opened the system already, its just a matter of building up the confidence to do the replacement.

I do have a question about this tho: is there any special consideration I have to use when buying caps or will any do? I understand the capacitance and voltages, but I was worried about other capacitor ratings like resistance or even if I should stick with using the little smd v-chip capacitors. The reason I'm asking is Radio Shack is a total rip-off on these things (its >$1 a cap), and I want to make sure I order the right thing when buying from an on-line dealer selling something better at a tenth of RS' price.

just to let you know, my next step is asking for advice on how to go about gutting the system to reach the caps, so now's a good time to send some panicked "NO DON'T DO THAT!!1" pms before I potentially ruin my system. If push comes to shove, I'll blog my progress for you guys. I don't have a job, so I have plenty of time.

PigInTheMud

« Reply #252 on: September 04, 2010, 03:53:33 PM »
I would definitely recommend purchasing the caps from mouser.com 8 cents to 30 cents per a capacitor.

Make sure that:
The capacitors are Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded.
The capacitance(most important) and voltage are the same.
The minus side of the capacitor get's soldered onto the minus hole.
Don't let your soldering iron touch anything except the board and the wire parts of the capacitors.
Remove all static from your body by touching something that is metal and grounded before dealing with the board.
Don't wear socks (especially on carpet)
Try to remove oils from your hands.
GET FLUX! It helps so much with soldering things together!  http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049774

That's about all that I can think of when soldering video game consoles

BlueBMW

« Reply #253 on: September 11, 2010, 11:42:16 AM »
I did the sound fix on a new / broken duo I got.  I tried the two 10uf caps first, but that didnt correct my problem.  (left channel quiet, and right channel cutting out randomly)  So here's some PCB pron pics of what I found!  Sounds works perfectly now!

[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Duo_R

« Reply #254 on: November 13, 2010, 11:18:22 AM »
OK Charlie or anyone else that knows, I am going to replace out the 4558's found here:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now my question, are all the 4558's on the Duo boards the same? There are other 4558's on the top of the Duo boards, but they have different codes printed on them. I don't see any reason they should be any different but wanted to see what you guys think.

So far I swapped out the 4558 on the left, but still no ADPCM!
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq