Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix  (Read 22814 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix
« Reply #315 on: December 22, 2011, 09:53:56 AM »
Actually, I heard of a lot of Duo systems sound going out 10 years ago. So I am going to more than assume this has been going on for a while now.

Of course some failed ten years ago but not all of 'em or even a majority.  How many first run 360s do you think will be alive in 2015 without help?  I'd say 10% would be generous.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #316 on: December 22, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »
In the long run they will end up the same. The Duo CD drive isn't all to reliable as well. I had to replace the lens once without even playing scratched up game discs or CD-Rs. I ended up buying 4 replacements and tried out a few CD-Rs burned using the best media/method possible, since I felt like I had nothing to lose with the replacement lenses in stock.

Yes, all 360 first designs have roughly a 90% failure rate in the long run. I seriously doubt years from now a first working model 360 will run you up that much cash though. We have to at least admit that the black Duo models are a huge risk in longevity.

The point I am making is that black Duo systems have a serious flaw (flaws actually)... yet it is the best looking design and the most sought out. It is just a shame. Almost everyone I know of that has a Duo has had this problem. Overall the 360 is worse on failure rate, but at least they won't be $400+ for a working model 20 years later.

BlueBMW

« Reply #317 on: December 23, 2011, 12:11:39 AM »
Interestingly, the original Duos have a higher quality PCB than the later Duo R models.  The design seems sound, just cripples by defective caps.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

ApolloBoy

« Reply #318 on: February 05, 2012, 06:14:30 AM »
Interestingly, the original Duos have a higher quality PCB than the later Duo R models.  The design seems sound, just cripples by defective caps.
I've been replacing some caps on a Duo for someone and I was genuinely surprised at how durable the board was, especially compared to the TE which has a shitty PCB. Kinda makes me wish I didn't get rid of my region modded PCE Duo. And on the subject of the Duo-R, has anyone had to replace the caps on that yet?
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

BlueBMW

« Reply #319 on: February 05, 2012, 06:16:15 AM »
Havent seen caps go out on the Duo-R/RX yet, but I have now seen a PC-FX with cap issues... :(
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

esteban

« Reply #320 on: February 07, 2012, 04:50:52 AM »
Havent seen caps go out on the Duo-R/RX yet, but I have now seen a PC-FX with cap issues... :(

Say it ain't so!

Damn it.

How about caps on SuperCD unit? I know it isn't as popular, but what is your take on that bit of hardware?

|    | 

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #321 on: February 07, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »
I still need to see if my Duo right sound channel is quiet due to the AV cable maybe. I already replaced the main upper left sound caps when the CD audio went quiet.

The thing that pissed me off the most is that I bought my Duo new from TZD back in 2000-01 and barely plugged it in and played it for like 5-6 years. Then I played it for 1 year straight 2007 with reasonable gaming sessions and the caps went out for the first time... not to mention the lens went out and I bought 4 replacements which was an easy fix. Then I let up on playing it again the past 2 years and the right sound channel is going out due to another cap problem or possibly the AV cable I hope.

Oh well, at least it should be an easy fix if it's the caps. I guess I can just use the headphone output converted to RCA for now till it gets fixed, lol.

BlueBMW

« Reply #322 on: February 07, 2012, 04:15:36 PM »
Say it ain't so!
Damn it.
How about caps on SuperCD unit? I know it isn't as popular, but what is your take on that bit of hardware?

I've seen several SuperCDROM2 units with cap issues :(  Hopefully DuoR and RX systems arent next!  They dont have the SMT Aluminum caps like the others though...  Even the leaded caps will eventually dry out, but at least they dont tend to leak all over the board and destroy stuff.

Sorry to bring bad news :(  Hopefully I'll have some FX cap charts up soon.

I still need to see if my Duo right sound channel is quiet due to the AV cable maybe. I already replaced the main upper left sound caps when the CD audio went quiet.

The thing that pissed me off the most is that I bought my Duo new from TZD back in 2000-01 and barely plugged it in and played it for like 5-6 years. Then I played it for 1 year straight 2007 with reasonable gaming sessions and the caps went out for the first time... not to mention the lens went out and I bought 4 replacements which was an easy fix. Then I let up on playing it again the past 2 years and the right sound channel is going out due to another cap problem or possibly the AV cable I hope.

Oh well, at least it should be an easy fix if it's the caps. I guess I can just use the headphone output converted to RCA for now till it gets fixed, lol.

Might as well just go ahead and have all the rest of the caps done.  I've had some systems not read CDs and then after a full cap change start working again.  So I know the caps will eventually affect more than just the audio output.

KingofGames

« Reply #323 on: February 13, 2012, 02:31:47 PM »
I'm going through the process of reading through this topic, but in the meantime, I figured I'd bring up my scenario. I recently acquired a Turbo Duo. I was told the unit did not power up, but upon receiving it, I had no problem powering it on. The Turbo Grafx portion works perfectly. The CD portion loads discs fine, plays the basic audio properly, but struggles with the CD-based audio. I was able to load up a JP version of Y's III (is this typical? I've not modded the system myself). At one point, the CD audio kicked in, but quickly died out. Through the headphone jack, the audio can be heard very faintly, though there is a hissing noise as well. Does this sound like a cap issue? I'd like to get an idea before going through the trouble of replacing anything. Thanks for any assistance!

thesteve

« Reply #324 on: February 13, 2012, 02:34:49 PM »
thats common.
its typically cap related.
caps and cap fluid corrosion.
its fixable

KingofGames

« Reply #325 on: February 13, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »
Yup! I replaced the two 22uf caps tonight with the help of a friend. Man, it was harder than I thought! However, I now have CD audio! Amazing to see that this thread has serviced so many people over the past 6 years.

ogre

« Reply #326 on: March 01, 2012, 10:53:11 PM »
I recently got my old dead black duo working. It was out if commission for over 2 years. It ended up being just a dead power brick and the one from retro game cave got it running. Now after two years of not running the sound is completely gone, as well as my saves. :( A year before it died the CD sound went and I changed the caps above the heat sinks and that fixed it. Does anyone know of what caps are related to all audio, hucard and CD.It has virtually no sound unless I turn the volume to the max, and even still it sounds faint and scratchy.

BlueBMW

« Reply #327 on: March 01, 2012, 11:48:05 PM »
The consensus these days seems to be that ALL the capacitors should be changed.  Also make sure that when changing caps that you clean all the leaked fluid and corrosion.  I know its a pain,  but for the long term reliability of your system, this must be done.

ogre

« Reply #328 on: March 02, 2012, 02:43:09 AM »
Ugh, I guess I kind of figured that is what needs to be done. I was just curious as to which ones specifically controlled the audio as I changed some already, and wanted to make sure those still are not suspect(Defective). Any good techniques for not lifting the solder pads? When I changed the one (10uf) located under the HU-Card slot I accidentally lifted the pad. The soldering is the easy part, it is the removing of these little bastards that sucks.

bust3dstr8

« Reply #329 on: March 02, 2012, 03:06:34 AM »
Use two irons and a drop of paste flux. Heat both sides and push the cap off the pads. Then use a fluxed wick to clean.

Something like this works good for getting in tight places.

Clowns Suck