Author Topic: Jungle Bros: lord_cack's pet project! :)  (Read 7409 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: Jungle Bros: lord_cack's pet project! :)
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2012, 06:13:20 AM »
Justin Bieber!

Turbob Turbob Turbob OHHHH

bey
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Black Tiger

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2012, 07:34:24 AM »
I love the crawl animation. :)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2012, 07:39:46 AM »
I love the crawl animation. :)
Thanks! I think it might need sped up more ingame. Also I envisioned the treasure chest animation to be slower, it's supposed to shake a little before opening up.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

guyjin

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2012, 08:22:48 AM »
looks nice :)

I'm afraid I don't like the new overworld tune as much as the old one, though.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

roflmao

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2012, 08:29:27 AM »
It's not like I am wanting to see it. It was just the first thing that popped into my crazy brain ha ha!

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I can see what Mathius is talking about as well.  I really like the graphic style of the the clouds, but their shape is a little strange. :P  The game looks amazing, btw!

nodtveidt

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2012, 11:38:58 AM »
Thanks! I think it might need sped up more ingame. Also I envisioned the treasure chest animation to be slower, it's supposed to shake a little before opening up.
The animation faster or the movement faster? I slowed his movement down on purpose, and the animation is also easily tweaked for speed. As the for chest... it does wiggle, but in the video, it moves too fast to see it. I've got it fixed here locally by implementing an animation tick counter... now it looks as intended.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »
looks nice :)

I'm afraid I don't like the new overworld tune as much as the old one, though.

The old tune is actually for the cave of that area, & I'm still working on it, as I think it's one of my most monotenous songs.  It just...does the same thing over & over again, doesn't really go anywhere.  But this song was made specifically for this level with a kinda happy go lucky funky sound...might be the only one like it in the entire game, alot of the other songs are more serious IMO.  Anyhoo, I know atleast some people love it, but, I know I can't please everybody.  It's a huge soundtrack with out of diversity..funktified diversity, but diversity none the less! :)

Edit-Come to think of it, I suppose the cave theme(the one used in the overworld of the previous videos) is also kinda happy go lucky, but, not quite as much, plus it'll be a little darker & cavey sounding when I'm done tweaking it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:57:12 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

nodtveidt

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2012, 09:50:55 PM »

Treasures! :)

Tatsujin

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2012, 12:45:08 AM »
very niec :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

nodtveidt

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2012, 05:45:41 AM »
Another video showing the progress. Yeah I know I'm posting a lot of them :P but I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out so far.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2012, 10:17:32 AM »
Wow, I'm really liking this song for this level, it totally has the right feel IMO.  It's kind of "welcome to JB" with that happy go lucky sound.  Hopefully I'll have an updated cave tune soon, & possibly an official title screen song, though it probably won't be the finished version, as I don't think I have that much time before MGC.  Sanford will have to do for now :D

esteban

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2012, 02:45:39 PM »
Another video showing the progress. Yeah I know I'm posting a lot of them :P but I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out so far.

Overall, this is lovely. I can see that everyone involved is putting some extra love and polish into each component of the game (not bad, considering this is still a demo).

I like the fact that crawling is part of the play mechanics! I'm glad it is available at all times, not simply when you are near a small tunnel.

The "Game Over" + accompanying tune is a nice touch!

So far, this is delightful. I'm still waiting for screenshots/video of the mini-boss/bonus game homage to Buster Bros./Pang! that lord_cack has in store for me. I can't wait! It's been nearly a year since I graciously supplied him the concept.

(for Mathius)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:47:29 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

Mathius

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2012, 02:51:47 PM »
....I see "short 'n curlys" :P
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

nodtveidt

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2012, 04:01:05 PM »
I like the fact that crawling is part of the play mechanics! I'm glad it is available at all times, not simply when you are near a small tunnel.
I will never understand the logic of making it "only available sometimes"... it's much less work to do it the way JB does it!

esteban

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2012, 12:02:14 AM »

I will never understand the logic of making it "only available sometimes"... it's much less work to do it the way JB does it!

I hear you. I think the only reason some games limit "special moves" to specific locations is because they fear that sloppy implementation/stage design may create weird, unintended situations. For example: (1) crawling off a cliff, but not falling down, because technically 1 pixel of a Jungle Bros. is on a ledge, (2) Getting stuck in a nook or cranny (bonus if you can do this whilst falling!), (3) crawling may be exploited to breeze through segments of game intended to be challenging (enemy attack/AI are designed without crawling in mind, savvy players may use this to their advantage, but suck out some of the fun in the process.

I really love everything. I wish there were "useless" powerups in Jungle Bros. (e.g. power-ups that change JB's pants/jackets color). Last color picked up is the one worn by our hero. No need to make it any more elaborate than that. Oh, and short shorts should be available as part of his wardrobe change as well.

I'm serious.

DISCLAIMER: I know you guys are well past the stage where you'd implement any of the things I mention, but I can dream. And dream I shall.

....I see "short 'n curlys" :P

You aren't the only one, clearly. I must be juvenile, because I became obsessed with the clouds. Or, I am experiencing cloud-envy.

Either way, I need more coffee and some fresh air!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:09:34 AM by esteban »
  |    |