Author Topic: Jungle Bros: lord_cack's pet project! :)  (Read 7353 times)

esteban

Re: Jungle Bros: lord_cack's pet project! :)
« Reply #165 on: December 20, 2015, 12:22:39 AM »

Hey all, stop in for a minute and WHAM, awesome people are talking about Jungle Bros.

Welcome back, comrade :)

I love the idea of making a game that is built in the idea of a two-player "SMB-esque platformer" competition.

Now, you can punch me, but you have to stop everything you are doing and focus instead on:

Jungle Bros. in Neutopia

Thank you.

:)
  |    | 

lord_cack

« Reply #166 on: December 20, 2015, 05:35:57 AM »

Hey all, stop in for a minute and WHAM, awesome people are talking about Jungle Bros.

Welcome back, comrade :)

I love the idea of making a game that is built in the idea of a two-player "SMB-esque platformer" competition.

Now, you can punch me, but you have to stop everything you are doing and focus instead on:

Jungle Bros. in Neutopia

Thank you.

Neutopia, that's a project thats dead. I have loads of tile sets working for it. Something like, 6-7 different environments swamp, snow, etc. Loads of other tiles working as well for it. But we had several projects at varying degrees of the development process. I would say 3-4. That's not counting the various concepts I was working on graphically for later consideration....
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

Bonknuts

« Reply #167 on: December 20, 2015, 07:38:57 AM »
Bonknuts, we briefly discussed doing some work together a year or to ago and had some PMs here on the forums but I never heard back from you at that time. You had some school thing going on and were very busy I recall so I figured that was it.

Anyway, I'm down for working on this (and again, I have tons of resources.... Tile work intended for Neutopia III etc.)

I have a very vague recollection of this conversation, so I must have been swamped in RL. I do remember making the comment about converting everything from HuC source code over to assembly - but I don't remember which project that was. I still have the same opinion, though. It wouldn't be much work, as long as I understand how everything is functioning, but it would free up a lot of things that HuC's structure itself restricts you to. Kicking out HuC's lib means I can keep things lean on memory, too. Not to mention probably some level of speed boost. The boost in speed might not be needed for the core game logic, but it could be put to use like background realtime decompression of graphics (sprites or tile cells), etc.  Things like, PCE doesn't support tile flipping - but if you edge stream tiles, a small LUT can easily give flipping option to the PCE on the fly. Stuff like that. Anyway, if that means taking a month to convert everything over to assembly with custom libs (no MagicKit stuffs), rather than constantly fighting with HuC, then it would be totally worth it IMO. If for some reason we need to bring in another programmer, for whatever unforeseen reason, there are many more people out there that are familiar with 65x assembly than any of the quirks and limitations of HuC environment.

I'm very interested in this, I just want to be clear on what's exactly needed and what the end goal is (effects, animation, etc - stuff that can be squeezed out of the PCE to meet those) - basically what I'm getting myself into.

PM me all details :D

Punch

« Reply #168 on: December 20, 2015, 07:58:24 AM »
Hey... there is, like, a playable demo of Jungle Bros.

You could, I don't know, might be too crazy but... all this talk about losing all the hard work that went into code and assets and- you know what nevermind.

Black Tiger

« Reply #169 on: December 20, 2015, 08:02:04 AM »
Hey... there is, like, a playable demo of Jungle Bros.

You could, I don't know, might be too crazy but... all this talk about losing all the hard work that went into code and assets and- you know what nevermind.

It's not my place to make it available, but I understand both why others may not want to make an early build publicly available, as well as why it would be a cool demo for people to try out.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

lord_cack

« Reply #170 on: December 20, 2015, 08:33:13 AM »
The playable Demo is great fun but not reflective of the current games build. I would call it an Alpha build, but its still pretty nice.

What I would say though is I would like to see how the revitalizing of the game goes and if it becomes an active project again then we could release an accurate Demo. Especially since I had a very specific Demo for the game in mind.....

Mathius

« Reply #171 on: December 20, 2015, 12:47:07 PM »
If anyone would like to borrow the official "demo" (the alpha build mentioned above) they are welcome to it as long as you are an established member here.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Black Tiger

« Reply #172 on: December 21, 2015, 03:51:46 AM »
The true demo that was being worked on was exclusive content, although potentially unlockable in the full game. It really would be the best way for everyone to be introduced to the game. So if a programmer is going to start working on the game again soon, then it would be best to finish off the demo and release that instead of that alpha stage.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

lord_cack

« Reply #173 on: December 21, 2015, 09:31:40 AM »

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #174 on: December 21, 2015, 06:26:55 PM »
L to the C is alive!!  Yeah, I'm still down to finish the soundtrack, especially if it's a Turbob game.  I just can't get excited about a PC game.  However, I must finish my Mega Man soundtrack first, before I finish up JB.  I'm not super far from finishing it, & I'm totally in a Mega Man mode, so that's one thing I have to do.  I just wish I hadn't lost the remix I was working on of OD's JB boss theme, that was definitely a bummer.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:01:55 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

Bonknuts

« Reply #175 on: December 21, 2015, 07:18:56 PM »
Looks like things are starting to roll :)

Mathius

« Reply #176 on: December 22, 2015, 11:01:20 AM »
Well thanks to whoever it was who reignited the thread! :D
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

lord_cack

« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2015, 12:51:25 PM »
Well thanks to whoever it was who reignited the thread! :D

You and me both Mathius, you and me both

nodtveidt

« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2015, 01:39:33 AM »
I sent the original source code over to le Bonknutz. Will be nice to see this project finished by someone with more capable coding skill than me.

esteban

« Reply #179 on: December 29, 2015, 03:39:54 AM »

I sent the original source code over to le Bonknutz. Will be nice to see this project finished by someone with more capable coding skill than me.

Shush.

Lucretia will be amazing.

|    |