Author Topic: Duo-R RGB mod not producing sound.  (Read 673 times)

DirkFunk

Duo-R RGB mod not producing sound.
« on: June 15, 2011, 07:51:23 AM »
I recently got an RGB modded Duo-R from Doujindance (eBay seller).

I bought a scart to component converter to get RGB video:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGA-SCART-RGB-YPbPr-YUV-Component-Video-Converter-/220698773448?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3362ac07c8

The picture looks amazing!

Then I bought one of these for audio:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=390279125607&si=QxgH18oGkg3U97C3kmQTzixadRY%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I am getting absolutely zero audio signal. I figure there could be many factors leading up to this. Such as the audio being incorrectly modded on the system, broken converter, wrong converter. . . the list goes on.

The audio works perfectly with composite video.

Anyone more technically inclined know why this may not be working for me? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:29:59 AM by DirkFunk »

MasonSushi

Re: Duo-R RGB mod not producing sound.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 04:04:05 PM »
i am not sure, but i too purchased a breakout cable for the audio. i was wondering if it was going to work. i saw a guy on Youtube that had the same setup and it worked, so it might just be the system.

I think i will go test mine now.

BlueBMW

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 04:43:57 PM »
Did you try the standard a/v cable with the duo R, and if so, did you get sound that way?  If you get sound on the original A/V Cable it means the audio is leaving the system and the problem is in your scart cable or the audio breakout box.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

MasonSushi

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 04:50:44 PM »
i am having the same trouble. Now i don't have the YUV converter, but I did buy the breakout box. I tested it with the AV and i have audio. When i switch inputs on the TV with the SCART cable and breakout box, i get nothing as well.

This is interesting. Wouldn't the sound supposed to be the same pins on both cables ??

nat

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 05:40:32 PM »
If the audio works from the A/V port, why not just use a standard Duo A/V cable for the audio and the component cable for the video? Seems to me messing with extra boxes and whatnot is a waste of time and money. Maybe there's something I'm not understanding here....

Duo_R

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 08:09:26 PM »
The box uses the AV port to take the RGB signals and convert to YUV, but it doesn't pass through the audio signal. If the audio works using standard AV cable then we know the sound is fine and your switch box isnt. Just mod the YUV converter to pass through the audio. You can see how I did in the last post here:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?177830-SCARTto-Component-question&highlight=transcoder

If the audio works from the A/V port, why not just use a standard Duo A/V cable for the audio and the component cable for the video? Seems to me messing with extra boxes and whatnot is a waste of time and money. Maybe there's something I'm not understanding here....
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

MasonSushi

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 12:18:48 AM »
Duo-r,

Nice mod. I clicked on the link and it showed the final product ( which looked nice), but didn't show how to do it. Could you open it up so we can see how its wired??

What confuses me is the AV audio works and the SCART audio dosn't . Now this makes me think that the wiring in the scart end of the plug could be wrong/ different. I would need to know which pins they are and what pins to swap them with.

Thanks guys for all the help.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 01:18:32 AM »
Just open up your converter and add RCA audio output cables :)
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

DirkFunk

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 02:24:19 AM »

The only problem with that is, the last time I soldered anything, people found Brittany Spears attractive. . .

I know Japanese and European SCART cables are different. Could this be a problem? I have no experience with SCART cables so I may completely off base. Could I be using a Japanese style SCART cable with a European audio adapter? Just a thought.

MasonSushi

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 02:24:37 AM »

We understand that we would need to change the converter, but was wondering if anybody had a pinnout diagram that Doujindance uses so we can hook it up to the right ones?

Both me and Dirk are using the same Breakout Converter. Now i think that it would be wired to the European standard ( as it said on teh package) wich makes me think that Doujindace has a different pinnout on the SCART cable.

Dirk:

Doujindace give out the European SCART adapters to people that order that system in the west. You would have had to ask to get the Japanese one.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:29:34 AM by MasonSushi »

DirkFunk

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 02:36:26 AM »
Dirk:

Doujindace give out the European SCART adapters to people that order that system in the west. You would have had to ask to get the Japanese one.

Gotcha. Just thought it may have been a possibility,

Duo_R

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 05:16:33 AM »
His pinout is the same with the original pins, and three new lines are simply RGB looking at the port from left to right I believe. That's keeps your stock port working.

As to how I wired mine up look at the link again, you can see in another post what points were soldered to where someone made an external audio breakout for the converter. I didn't like that and simply added a mini Jack.
Add my YouTube channel:

DirkFunk

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 06:34:15 AM »
In all honesty, I think I'm too big of a wuss to chop up a $50 converter. I have little to no skills as far as soldering goes. So I'm confident it would become a paperweight when I got through with it.

Any other possible solutions?

MasonSushi

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 07:13:56 AM »
In all honesty, I think I'm too big of a wuss to chop up a $50 converter. I have little to no skills as far as soldering goes. So I'm confident it would become a paperweight when I got through with it.

Any other possible solutions?

couldn't we just rewire the Breakout adapter??

Dirk if i can figure it out on mine, i will do yours for you for free. Game on!!!

Duo_R

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 07:42:15 PM »
Its dead easy, the most basic soldering job. If I wasnt so busy I would offer to do yours.
Add my YouTube channel: