Author Topic: Replacing Duo caps and a couple solder points came off!  (Read 235 times)

Keith Courage

Replacing Duo caps and a couple solder points came off!
« on: June 23, 2011, 03:32:58 AM »
Well I was replacing the audio caps on a friends duo. I have done this a couple times before without too much trouble. Anyways, a few of the larger caps leads underneath the board came off and from what I can see it doesn't look like they run anywhere. I circled them in red on my pic below. However, the connections on the top part of the board are good. Does anyone know if the bottom of these two spots are important or if the top is where the connection really is? Also, everything is working just fine when I tested the system.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 04:18:42 AM by Keith Courage »

BlueBMW

Re: Replacing Duo caps and a couple solder points came off!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 04:27:03 AM »
I believe those two have their connections on the top half of the board so you should be fine.  Be sure to clean off the bottom of that board real good though.  Some of that is laquer some is cap juice.  Acetone works good.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Keith Courage

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 05:27:45 AM »
Yeah, whats crazy is there is also quite a bit of that stain around parts that are not capacitors as well.  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:46:19 AM by Keith Courage »

thesteve

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:58:01 AM »
the stain is flux
it was used to help the solder flow during assembly.
it is slightly corrosive and should be removed